• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Why are so many Emiras being resold in the USA?

I keep going back to the fact that the U.S. does not have the support system and dealerships in place to maintain these cars. The need to travel hours each way to service your vehicle grows old real fast. While I still had an open allocation, I drove to the dealership and back to see how I would tolerate it. It was two hours each way on chopped roads. While this was not the death knoll for my decision to abort, I cringe at the folks who say their closest dealership is four or more hours away. I don’t know how prices are acting here in the U.S. yet, and it’s probably too early to gauge.
I relate. When I got on the list, the nearest dealer was 375 miles away but I was so smitten that I talked myself into believing I could live with making the drive or having it trucked whenever it needed probable warranty work. After a year on the list I faced the reality that that scenario wasn’t something I could handle and canceled my reservation (deposit refunded). Had I gone through with the buy, and had that dealer remained the closest, I’d likely have wound up selling it within a year. Happy postscript: turns out a dealership opened 10 miles away so I hopped back on the list, albeit at the back of the queue. They’re telling me September . . . . .

I relate. When I got on the list, the nearest dealer was 375 miles away but I was so smitten that I talked myself into believing I could live with making the drive or having it trucked whenever it needed probable warranty work. After a year on the list I faced the reality that that scenario wasn’t something I could handle and canceled my reservation (deposit refunded). Had I gone through with the buy, and had that dealer remained the closest, I’d likely have wound up selling it within a year. Happy postscript: turns out a dealership opened 10 miles away so I hopped back on the list, albeit at the back of the queue. They’re telling me September . . . . .
That’s awesome though! I know the cars are now coming in fairly regularly now, and a months wait?? Hell for that long you could camp out on their doorstep till its arrival! Best of luck with it and enjoy your new ride!!

That’s awesome though! I know the cars are now coming in fairly regularly now, and a months wait?? Hell for that long you could camp out on their doorstep till its arrival! Best of luck with it and enjoy your new ride!!
I actually got on the second list 6 months ago, but still not a terrible wait. Got on the first list December ‘22.

Last edited:
My feeling is color and livery matter in sales activity.
All red everything is not going to be an easy sale.

But prices of all inflated hype goods are down - Porsche, Rolex, trading cards, etc. I would put any new sportscar in the same category.

On top of that the Lotus Emira inherently is a niche product and will appeal to a smaller pool of buyers.

Conversely, the emira is a relatively incredible product. As money returns I expect the emira to benefit.

I made this "investment" into a high priced depreciating asset with eyes wide open......it's almost certain that eventually used 1 to 2 year old Emiras will make anyone like us who paid full price look like suckers. The good news is that I plan on owning my car for quite some time, so resale value isn't all that important to me at this point.

I started this thread because I was surprised to see so many titled with miles Emiras (2 dozen plus) listed for sale so soon after delivery. I just couldn't understand how so many people who had waited years didn't just fall in love driving this thing like I did with my own. As many have responded, maybe a lot of it has to do with how many people waited 3 years and after all that time are just in a different place in their lives. I'm guessing it's a little bit of everything (financial, life events, found something else, or just don't like the car).

In the end Lotus is going to sell relatively small numbers of the Emira, especially compared to Porches and Vettes, which will help prop up values. If they end up dumping the V6 (which eliminates manuals) than hopefully the benefit will be that the bottom will never truly drop all the way on their resale values.

Last edited:
I made this "investment" into a high priced depreciating asset with eyes wide open......it's almost certain that eventually used 1 to 2 year old Emiras will make anyone like us who paid full price look like suckers. The good news is that I plan on owning my car for quite some time, so resale value isn't all that important to me at this point.

I started this thread because I was surprised to see so many titled with miles Emiras (2 dozen plus) listed for sale so soon after delivery. I just couldn't understand how so many people who had waited years didn't just fall in love driving this thing like I did with my own. As many have responded, maybe a lot of it has to do with how many people waited 3 years and after all that time are just in a different place in their lives. I'm guessing it's a little bit of everything (financial, life events, found something else, or just don't like the car).

In the end Lotus is going to sell relatively small numbers of the Emira, especially compared to Porches and Vettes, which will help prop up values. If they end up dumping the V6 (which eliminates manuals) than hopefully the benefit will be that the bottom will never truly drop all the way on their resale values.
It’ll take a while, but I truly believe the V6 manual will become a classic / collectible (just wish it had analog gauges . . . )

It’ll take a while, but I truly believe the V6 manual will become a classic / collectible (just wish it had analog gauges . . . )
I believe all variants will become classic/collectibles.
Especially when Lotus goes all electric.

Most, most vehicles are for sale because people thought flipping them would make them a grip. Some have fallen on hard times since 2021, a lot of idiots back in 2021, like at the Galpin reveal, saying how much money they could make.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 51
I think that`s more correct. Look at the past series. They dropped quite sig. from new. Then crawled back up a bit. The Emira will be no diff. I doubt we will see second hand emiras being sold for less that S1,2s, or 3s.