18 inch wheels

I don't think that would pass an MOT over here. :ROFLMAO:
Neither would anything else about a race car. The fact that they don't have a road legal VIN would also be a pretty significant barrier to registration and MOT. šŸ˜‚

If it's just for Track 18s are definitely going to be the right call. Lots of professional race teams use 18s, besides tires, wheels in 18s becomes a fountain of options. Track based? 18s. Whether it's Advan GT, Volk TE37, many other Rays wheels options, Titan 7, Motegi Racing, BBS, just tons of options.

I'm curious whether the rear parking brake is a "grind down until it fits", or something fairly innocuous. The car with the 18s showing the parking brake at all tells me it's functional. If they were just relying on wheel chocks they'd remove the brake assembly to save the weight.

I will say, I get that there are a lot of forging options that effectively press a blank face with a barrel and then CNC out the face pattern. For some of the other wheels on the market, I don't think they are doing this. Volk TE37s for example I think are forged into a "rough shape" of the spokes then CNC'd to trim out and do things like the hub face and lug-pattern.

The strength difference might be negligible, but it's gotta make a difference in the grain of the metal, especially for some higher concave designs.
Hi Tomwa, you could test the theory and make a cardboard shape to gauge the size and try grinding it down until it fits or falls to bits. :)

It looks like GRP is selling the Braid wheels from the GT4, but theyā€™re quite spendy.

If anyone has luck with a different 18ā€ wheel, would love to know what worked.

Havenā€™t bought them, but there is a tuning shop in China that offers 18s for the Emira and they work with OEM brakes. 9ā€ wide on the front, 11 on the back with 265 and 305.
fit with 18inch wheels must be modify the parking brake attached the picture for your reference

Attachments

• 54e8df85112e4d76584eb5c36dd2448d.jpeg
    54e8df85112e4d76584eb5c36dd2448d.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 6b5eb02adcacaeffe19a8fa85da21422.jpeg
    6b5eb02adcacaeffe19a8fa85da21422.jpeg
    255.9 KB · Views: 13
This shop offers other styles of rim, and apparently the 18ā€ version are designed to work with the OEM brakes.

The 18s are not particularly light, but are lighter than the original wheels. He states they are built to be strong, not as light as possible. These are CNC from a forged blank, so are somewhat flexible on the details I expect.

Personally, Iā€™m on the wall a bit whether to go 18 or 19. Need to do some research on tyre options. Theyā€™d be strictly for track, so donā€™t need to be road legal. I personally prefer the look of the 19s.
Thanks for the photos - I'm a performance first type of guy and looks are always a very distant second, but I was curious if the 18's would elongate the look of the car (which I think looks squatty from the side view) - I think those 18's on the green car definitely stretch out the proportions to something more balanced. If I could get a performance upgrade for the track, plus get better/cheaper tires and also get an upgrade in looks for free, I'm in on that.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back