• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

3rd Cat Delete

Hi
I am not aware of any case where changing to a simple K+N sports filter, for example, led to an error code. Above all, the quality of the K+N plate filter is significantly better in my experience!
regards
I'm aware of dozens of cases off the top of my head (that I've been personally involved in) where an owner over-oiling a K&N during the routine cleaning led directly to MAF failure, DTC codes being set, and in one case, damage to the engine.

Just because you and I know what "looks right" and is appropriate when doing routine maintenance tasks, doesn't mean everyone does. People do really wild stuff to their cars on the basis of enthusiasm, and sometimes they damage or destroy things. And many of those same people then want to construe it as someone else's fault and expect a fix on someone else's dime.

The Venn diagram overlap between practical ignorance and sense of entitlement is large.

Hi guys,

May I just confirm the details, for the stricter markets the Emira v6 has 3 cats.

Cat no. 1 & 2 are a pair of Primary Cats each located on the left and right manifolds.

Cat no. 3 is the Secondary Cat located further down the exhaust before entering the exhaust silencer. This is the piece where Komotec offers cat delete pipe

Removing Cat no. 3 will not throw up any codes as there are no O2 Sensors.

Currently there are no ways of replacing Cat no. 1 & 2 without throwing up codes unless we temper with the ECU.

Please correct me if my understanding above is correct?

Thanks

Hi guys,

May I just confirm the details, for the stricter markets the Emira v6 has 3 cats.

Cat no. 1 & 2 are a pair of Primary Cats each located on the left and right manifolds.

Cat no. 3 is the Secondary Cat located further down the exhaust before entering the exhaust silencer. This is the piece where Komotec offers cat delete pipe

Currently there are no ways of replacing Cat no. 1 & 2 without throwing up codes unless we temper with the ECU.

Thanks
I believe that’s correct, I’m pretty sure that the car comes with three cats for every market

Hi guys,

Thanks
I believe your topology is correct, but your guess that removing cat 3 will not throw any codes may not be correct. There's no way to know that yet.

I believe your topology is correct, but your guess that removing cat 3 will not throw any codes may not be correct. There's no way to know that yet.

Service manual shows no o2 sensors after the secondary cat.

Service manual shows no o2 sensors after the secondary cat.
It's not as simple as "O2 sensor reading different = code". There are a lot of different conditions that can set a DTC code, from a whole mix of sensors.

Am I saying it will definitely set a code? No. But we also can't say that it definitely won't. Time will tell.

It's not as simple as "O2 sensor reading different = code". There are a lot of different conditions that can set a DTC code, from a whole mix of sensors.

Am I saying it will definitely set a code? No. But we also can't say that it definitely won't. Time will tell.
Thanks guys.

I guess we eagerly await for feedbacks from those who has tried to remove the secondary cats.

Any update on the 3rd cat delete? Side by side comparision video of the sound with and without cat delete. Any update on the valves to keep it open in sports/track mode?

Mine going for an exhaust but will take a couple of weeks to feedback on it.
They will hopefully do comparisons between the whole lot of setups, including manifolds.
what is your opinion of the car sound and can I ask what work are you getting done to it? Does this affect warranty or do you not mind?

I am due to receive delivery next month so just planning ahead on mods

The car sounds great with the windows UP as you can hear those 3 nuances of sound that I refer to in my last video.

With the roof down, there is too much wind noise to enjoy it.

It is getting better as well, as the exhaust beds in.
Gets really cracking at the higher revs.

The car sounds EPIC from the outside stock.
Listen to this!!!

Does this affect warranty or do you not mind?
Well, technically, anything you do like this, however minor, can affect the warranty.
If it just a back box then, with discretion, you 'may' be fine.
A full system might be a stretch too far.
I will try and get clarity on this.

Lotus have said unapproved modifications will invalidate the warranty. It's likely to only apply to the area you modify, so if you delete the 3rd cat and the windscreen wipers stop working then it should be covered.

If you have your dealer fit an approved aftermarket item then the warranty remains intact.

The grey area with exhaust system modifications is if you later have engine, ECU or related sensor issues then Lotus are likely to argue the exhaust mods may have caused that. In the past they have refused warranty claims where airbox/filter modifications have been made.

Lotus have said unapproved modifications will invalidate the warranty. It's likely to only apply to the area you modify, so if you delete the 3rd cat and the windscreen wipers stop working then it should be covered.

If you have your dealer fit an approved aftermarket item then the warranty remains intact.

The grey area with exhaust system modifications is if you later have engine, ECU or related sensor issues then Lotus are likely to argue the exhaust mods may have caused that. In the past they have refused warranty claims where airbox/filter modifications have been made.
And what if you put the original back on before going to the dealership with the ecu problem… would they be able to tell u messed with the 3rd cat?

Probably not and it's a fairly minor mod that shouldn't cause an issue.

If the car is throwing Check Engine Light or other fault codes then they will be recorded in the ECU along with other data. They will be used for diagnosing but won't directly show parts being swapped.

Isn’t there supposed to be an official sports exhaust coming from Lotus?

That’d be the way to go if you’re worried about warranty.

Yes there is, but timing unknown