• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

3rd Cat Delete

On the Evora the 3rd cat was needed to meet US emissions requirements and could safely be deleted in the UK without causing an MOT failure. I'm assuming it will be similar for the Emira, with the exhaust system designed to meet worst case global requirements but being fine to remove in the UK and some other countries.

Some countries are very strict on modifications and I think the UK briefly looked at changing legislation to make it harder to modify from a noise and emissions standpoint, but that was dropped (or delayed).
And I thought I was over the mod/unmod era to pass emissions. Here in CA just having a tune (even if emissions compliant) is an immediate fail.

And I thought I was over the mod/unmod era to pass emissions. Here in CA just having a tune (even if emissions compliant) is an immediate fail.
I have a secondary cat delete on my Porsche Boxster here in CA. Since there are no o2 sensors after, there is nothing to trip the tester. The only issue is the visual test, and most places aren’t knowledgeable enough to notice. I’ve never had a problem, and wouldn’t expect anyone doing a 3rd cat delete in CA to run into any trouble either. Plus, i don’t think the first emissions test is for like 5 or 6 years anyway…

Waiting anxiously for whoever is the first to get the third cat replaced with a straight pipe. See how much louder that is before considering full exhaust upgrades from Larini or 2bular. I wouldn’t mind the option of pressing a button and having it scream like an F355 on the B-roads

Nella Evora S c'era un terzo convertitore catalitico ridondante (necessario per l'omologazione in rigorosi tappetini) che poteva essere sostituito con un tubo dritto (lotus aveva una parte in realtà), aumentando il volume e la ricchezza della nota di scarico.

Qualcuno sa se l'Emira ha un sistema simile? Mi piacerebbe poter fare di nuovo la stessa cosa quando arriverà l'Emira
fatto

Komo-Tec now offers 3rd cat delete, too:

6101-001-Katersatzrohr-2GR-Emira-1.jpg

Is this replacing the 3rd cat, it’s not clear on their site
Yes, it is.

It's a different way of counting, probably more "right" than talking about "third" cat, because of it's V6 nature it has on every cylinder bank one primary cat and after merging these two exhaust paths there comes the secondary cat as Komo-Tec refers to. Technically the exhaust gases only pass the primary and secondary cat. There is no real third cat in the exhaust path as the V6 has two primary cats and one secondary cat.

Who is going to be the Guinea pig and then report back how much better the car sounds with this ?

Who is going to be the Guinea pig and then report back how much better the car sounds with this ?
I am surprised Komotec has not posted a comparison video.

Is that much louder than before ?
a bassi regimi è cambiato ma non di molto. Aspetto di provarla in strada poi vi dirò. Io arrivo da EVORA 400 DECAT e preparata e vi assicuro un sound da brividi senza i 2 cat sui collettori. Vi metto un video dove si sente la Evora

Yes, it is.

It's a different way of counting, probably more "right" than talking about "third" cat, because of it's V6 nature it has on every cylinder bank one primary cat and after merging these two exhaust paths there comes the secondary cat as Komo-Tec refers to. Technically the exhaust gases only pass the primary and secondary cat. There is no real third cat in the exhaust path as the V6 has two primary cats and one secondary cat.
Probably worth mentioning that the closely-coupled cats are designed for fast heat-up on cold engine start, and likely lose efficacy at high temp. The cat after the exhaust merge is slower to heat up but usually maintains efficacy into higher temp ranges.

Just pointing out that "primary" and "secondary" don't necessarily mean "main" and "lesser"... in active operation it's possible that the roles are the reverse.

Probably worth mentioning that the closely-coupled cats are designed for fast heat-up on cold engine start, and likely lose efficacy at high temp. The cat after the exhaust merge is slower to heat up but usually maintains efficacy into higher temp ranges.

Just pointing out that "primary" and "secondary" don't necessarily mean "main" and "lesser"... in active operation it's possible that the roles are the reverse.
Is it possible that a design change could mean removing the secondary cat won’t be as dramatic as it was when removed from North American Evora’s. Judging by the video and comment above, Andreino14 said it wasn’t much louder with the straight pipe