• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

📓 Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
When are you putting your wheels on?
Whenever I get them lol. Aerie said they're supposed to arrive sometime this week. I don't know if that's a real-world week, or an Aerie alternate-reality week hehe. I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and welcome to the forum! I consider it an honor that you chose to make your first comment in my project thread!

Awesome! I figured Greg would have had the dynos done by now but it looks like you're going to be the leader. Looking forward to the results.

Got the Eventuri installed last night. It was a bear. Took me 2 hours; not because of the Eventuri, but because the factory airbox did NOT want to come out. The battery cable that connects to the engine is routed through a clip/holder on the far end of the lower airbox. It's just out of reach, so it was very hard for me to get it out of the clip so I could remove the airbox. You have to lean over the back of the car to do everything, and it really put a strain on my lower back. If you are younger (I'm 72) it may be easier, but it was a strain for me.

If you have a long (12 inches) or two 6 inch extensions combined, it will be MUCH easier to remove the top left bolt on the airbox. The Eventuri instructions say the 2 bolts at the top of the airbox are 13mm, but mine were 10mm for some reason. I guess Lotus changed those for North America as opposed to the U.K. version?

Below is the factory airbox. The 3 screws circled in red are what you need to remove if you're simply changing the air filter. The front swings out and there are two plastic hinges on the bottom that come loose when you do that. The two large holes on the top left and center are where the mounting bolts are that bolt the airbox to the car. At the bottom I put a red arrow to show where the battery cable goes through. You have to push it towards the front of the car to get it to slide out of that groove. That's what gave me such a hard time. It was tight and did not want to slide out.

View attachment 47309

I got some gold heat reflect tape and put it on the Eventuri connector tube. I did it mostly for cosmetics, although obviously it will keep the tube cool. The travel path from the side of the car to the supercharger is so short, I doubt it will make much of a difference for street driving. For those taking their car to the track, it will probably make a bigger difference; especially to help minimize heat-soak after you come off the track. I just like the way it looks. There are a lot of small ridges all over the tube, so it made it a bit difficult to get everything to lay down. I washed the whole tube in dishwashing liquid and let it dry thoroughly before putting the tape on. It stuck to it with no problem. If anybody else is going to do this to their Eventuri tube, I'd recommend using smaller cuts of tape instead of trying to wrap it with long pieces. There's a lot of changes in shape and angle that are just easier to cover with smaller pieces.

View attachment 47310

Through the rear glass (I don't have the privacy glass) I think it jazzes up the engine compartment nicely.

View attachment 47311

The Eventuri setup weighed 4.5 lbs. The factory airbox setup weighed 5 lbs, so there's a very slight weight reduction of 1/2 a pound.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS
I noticed right away that the engine starts and idles more smoothly. I cannot feel any vibration in the shift lever; even with the A/C on. The engine just runs more smoothly overall. Sound-wise, the exhaust tone even in Tour mode, sounds just a slight bit throatier. When accelerating, everything just feels smoother. The mid to upper rpms always had good pull, but the lower rpms felt somewhat soft. Now they don't. There's a consistency in the way acceleration feels all the way from lower to higher rpms.

The differences are subtle, but there. It isn't an OMG type of difference, it's more of a refinement to the overall performance. Car sounds good, pulls good, runs good right from when you first take off. With the window up, I don't hear any difference in the supercharger whine, but you can hear it more with the window down.

Overall I'm very happy with how the car feels now. It's more than just a power increase. It's hard to describe. Tomorrow I'm going to the dyno shop to see if I can get in for a run sometime next week.

I did NOT do an oil change yet. I'm going to add a friction modifier to the oils (both engine and transaxle) and I know that will reduce the drivetrain loss somewhat, and I didn't want that coloring the performance gains of the Eventuri. Whatever the dyno run shows will be just the difference the Eventuri makes.
Awesome write up! I remember when I did the intake on my Evora GT I had to tippy toe the whole time to remove some of the bolts. Hurts after a few min but I’ve heard that you can stand/sit in your trunk!? At least you don’t need to remove the wheel liner to route the intake tube like in the GT.

Looking forward to your dyno results. I’m glad to hear that low rpms feel improved too as I felt lotus cars always could do better there. Would be cool to see get the emiras get some gains.

Awesome write up! I remember when I did the intake on my Evora GT I had to tippy toe the whole time to remove some of the bolts. Hurts after a few min but I’ve heard that you can stand/sit in your trunk!? At least you don’t need to remove the wheel liner to route the intake tube like in the GT.

Looking forward to your dyno results. I’m glad to hear that low rpms feel improved too as I felt lotus cars always could do better there. Would be cool to see get the emiras get some gains.
Unfortunately you can't stand or sit in the trunk. It's just like you said. Stand on tip toes while leaning over the trunk trying to reach everything. That gets real old in a hurry.

Sitting in the trunk is the only way to work on the engine for me. I’m short. 😆

1720389161356.png

Got the Eventuri installed last night. It was a bear. Took me 2 hours; not because of the Eventuri, but because the factory airbox did NOT want to come out. The battery cable that connects to the engine is routed through a clip/holder on the far end of the lower airbox. It's just out of reach, so it was very hard for me to get it out of the clip so I could remove the airbox. You have to lean over the back of the car to do everything, and it really put a strain on my lower back. If you are younger (I'm 72) it may be easier, but it was a strain for me.

If you have a long (12 inches) or two 6 inch extensions combined, it will be MUCH easier to remove the top left bolt on the airbox. The Eventuri instructions say the 2 bolts at the top of the airbox are 13mm, but mine were 10mm for some reason. I guess Lotus changed those for North America as opposed to the U.K. version?

Below is the factory airbox. The 3 screws circled in red are what you need to remove if you're simply changing the air filter. The front swings out and there are two plastic hinges on the bottom that come loose when you do that. The two large holes on the top left and center are where the mounting bolts are that bolt the airbox to the car. At the bottom I put a red arrow to show where the battery cable goes through. You have to push it towards the front of the car to get it to slide out of that groove. That's what gave me such a hard time. It was tight and did not want to slide out.

View attachment 47309

I got some gold heat reflect tape and put it on the Eventuri connector tube. I did it mostly for cosmetics, although obviously it will keep the tube cool. The travel path from the side of the car to the supercharger is so short, I doubt it will make much of a difference for street driving. For those taking their car to the track, it will probably make a bigger difference; especially to help minimize heat-soak after you come off the track. I just like the way it looks. There are a lot of small ridges all over the tube, so it made it a bit difficult to get everything to lay down. I washed the whole tube in dishwashing liquid and let it dry thoroughly before putting the tape on. It stuck to it with no problem. If anybody else is going to do this to their Eventuri tube, I'd recommend using smaller cuts of tape instead of trying to wrap it with long pieces. There's a lot of changes in shape and angle that are just easier to cover with smaller pieces.

View attachment 47310

Through the rear glass (I don't have the privacy glass) I think it jazzes up the engine compartment nicely.

View attachment 47311

The Eventuri setup weighed 4.5 lbs. The factory airbox setup weighed 5 lbs, so there's a very slight weight reduction of 1/2 a pound.

DRIVING IMPRESSIONS
I noticed right away that the engine starts and idles more smoothly. I cannot feel any vibration in the shift lever; even with the A/C on. The engine just runs more smoothly overall. Sound-wise, the exhaust tone even in Tour mode, sounds just a slight bit throatier. When accelerating, everything just feels smoother. The mid to upper rpms always had good pull, but the lower rpms felt somewhat soft. Now they don't. There's a consistency in the way acceleration feels all the way from lower to higher rpms.

The differences are subtle, but there. It isn't an OMG type of difference, it's more of a refinement to the overall performance. Car sounds good, pulls good, runs good right from when you first take off. With the window up, I don't hear any difference in the supercharger whine, but you can hear it more with the window down.

Overall I'm very happy with how the car feels now. It's more than just a power increase. It's hard to describe. Tomorrow I'm going to the dyno shop to see if I can get in for a run sometime next week.

I did NOT do an oil change yet. I'm going to add a friction modifier to the oils (both engine and transaxle) and I know that will reduce the drivetrain loss somewhat, and I didn't want that coloring the performance gains of the Eventuri. Whatever the dyno run shows will be just the difference the Eventuri makes.
@Eagle7 - Thank you for sharing your detailed installation. Ordered my Eventuri last week and hoping it shows up soon....!

Will let you know how I get on with my install.

@Eagle7 - Thank you for sharing your detailed installation. Ordered my Eventuri last week and hoping it shows up soon....!

Will let you know how I get on with my install.
The Eventuri instructions are actually pretty good. I printed them out and had them with me while doing the install. Just a tip. When installing the Eventuri, while it's still loose, hook the battery cable first before putting any of the coolant hoses in the holder on the bottom. The battery cable is very stiff and not very cooperative.

Whenever I get them lol. Aerie said they're supposed to arrive sometime this week. I don't know if that's a real-world week, or an Aerie alternate-reality week hehe. I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and welcome to the forum! I consider it an honor that you chose to make your first comment in my project thread!
Hello, wheels dispatched :)
Pls check your PM for the tracking number , appreciate it for your support.

Got the dyno and the results were excellent. The Eventuri delivered as advertised. The only difference between this and the baseline run in blue, was the Eventuri. The car has the full stock exhaust system. What the chart shows is how the car feels. There's a nice lift in torque right away, and the gains are consistent all the way up the rpm scale. Power is now 386.1 hp compared to the baseline which was 369.6 which is a gain of 16.5 hp, and the torque increase is 318 ft lbs compared to the baseline of 303 ft lbs for a gain of 15 ft lbs of torque.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 11.35.03 AM.png

The guy had to take the rear wheels off for the dyno, so while the car was up in the air and the wheel was off, just out of curiosity I tapped the wheel well liner with my finger and it sounded like I was tapping on a tomtom. The sound frequency sounded a lot like the road noise from the tires. I have 8 sheets of Damplifer Pro on the way, and UPS says my wheels from Aerie should be arriving Monday.

When they arrive, I'll put the car up on the Quickjack to remove the wheels so I can get the tires swapped over to the Aerie wheels, and at that time I'll remove the wheel well liners and see where I can put some Damplifier to cut down the noise. I'm not sure if the fronts are resonating like that, but for sure the rears need dampening.

Great detail! When are you doing the exhaust and cat delete?

Great detail! When are you doing the exhaust and cat delete?
I'm not going to do the cat delete. I don't want the exhaust to be louder. The exhaust, I'm debating about. The only reason I would replace it is to lose some weight (I actually like the sound of the factory exhaust), so a titanium system might be something I'd go for, but I haven't cared for the ones I've heard so far. I'm waiting to see what GRP's sounds like, and how much lighter it is than stock.

Right now with the gains from the Eventuri, I'm guessing I have about 418 hp at the crank. The dyno shows the power to the rear wheels, which is subject to the drivetrain loss factor, which based on the baseline dyno is 7.6%. So the 16.5 hp the Eventuri added to the rear wheels, minus the drivetrain loss, means it's added about 18 hp. With that new number, my weight to power ratio is now 3,240 lbs / 418 hp = 7.75. I'm guessing the Aerie wheels with the titanium lug bolts will weigh about 24 lbs less than the stock wheels, so that will put my vehicle weight at 3,216 lbs, and improves the weight to power ratio to 7.69.

I'll have accurate numbers next week after I get my wheels.

Back