📓 Journals Adding Lightness

This prefix is only usable in the Lotus Emira Journals forum.
Wow, 16.5whp is impressive for an intake!! Congrats and thanks for doing this @Eagle7.

I'm also impressed the shop was able to do the base run, install the intake, and second run in ~1.5 hours. I'm guessing they just left the hub dyno attached while they installed the intake? Any pics of the intake installed or the car on the dyno?

Nice results!
We have the dyno rented but not until the 31st, seeing if there is another in town that can accommodate us sooner.
@VL3X These intake kits are super easy to install -- much easier than the Evora, we should be able to run all of our options in under two hours.

Wow, 16.5whp is impressive for an intake!! Congrats and thanks for doing this @Eagle7.

I'm also impressed the shop was able to do the base run, install the intake, and second run in ~1.5 hours. I'm guessing they just left the hub dyno attached while they installed the intake? Any pics of the intake installed or the car on the dyno?
LOL oh no, the baseline run was done last week. He just pulled up last week's chart and added today's run.

I posted these elsewhere, and forgot I didn't post them in my own thread!

IMG_3352.jpeg

I wrapped the Eventuri silicone tube in gold heat reflect tape, which I think looks cool. It has to help somewhat, but I just like the way it looks mostly.

IMG_3346.jpeg

I don't have the privacy glass, so it shows pretty good through the rear window.

IMG_3347.jpeg

When is the exhaust run? I thought you did that already?

I was skeptical of the claims, but your independent dyno pulls back it up. Does anyone have knowledge of how much gain is based on the design of the intake vs. reduced restriction of their chosen filter material?

Nice results!
We have the dyno rented but not until the 31st, seeing if there is another in town that can accommodate us sooner.
@VL3X These intake kits are super easy to install -- much easier than the Evora, we should be able to run all of our options in under two hours.
Greg, will you be testing your titanium exhaust too? I'm thinking about adding that to my setup. I'm really curious to see how much that adds to power in addition to weight loss.

Greg, will you be testing your titanium exhaust too? I'm thinking about adding that to my setup. I'm really curious to see how much that adds to power in addition to weight loss.
For the intake testing day we will likely keep the cars exhaust the same throughout and maybe do a return day for an exhaust comparison with the opposite of what the car has for the intake test day.
I can easily swap filters and intakes with the car strapped down on the dyno but cant with exhaust/decat so it will require a couple trips.

@Eagle7 - Coincidently, mine arrived today…..!

Thank you for sharing your dyno run info too - very nice to know!

As you’ve mentioned, easy to install - 45mins to an 1hr - I sat in the boot to complete it 😉

What I can confirm is, the 2 bolts securing the old air box in situ are 13mm here in the UK (see attached pic).

Lovely induction noise with windows down at low revs, but I have a GPF bypass exhaust pipe and it’s hard to hear over the exhaust noise over 4k RPM

I have taken loads of pics during the install should these be of help to anyone else

Attachments

• IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1194.jpeg
    IMG_1194.jpeg
    260.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1197.jpeg
    IMG_1197.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1196.jpeg
    IMG_1196.jpeg
    307.2 KB · Views: 48
I was skeptical of the claims, but your independent dyno pulls back it up. Does anyone have knowledge of how much gain is based on the design of the intake vs. reduced restriction of their chosen filter material?
I put these pics in some other thread somewhere, but I'll post them again in here.

Here's the stock air filter, which has a gauze pad on the side that faces the intake on the side of the car. That has to be fairly restrictive.

IMG_3348.jpeg

Here's the stock intake looking at it from above. The red arrows show the flow path starting from the bottom, which is from the side of the car.

IMG_3349.jpeg

The small arrow in the middle is where the air filter sits. The flow path is not straight. Air does not like to turn corners, and loses its velocity quickly. After it makes its twists and turns, it heads out past the MAF which sits in that rectangle opening (you take it out and put it in the Eventuri). Then the air goes into the silicone connecting tube, which has deep ridges inside for the air to chop and bump over.

IMG_3350.jpeg

IMG_3351.jpeg

You can see how the tube twists as it's coming up from the corner of the factory airbox.

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 8.05.02 PM.png

The Eventuri is a tubular, straight-through flow design. Here you're looking at the exit (the MAF goes where the two silver bolts above the exit are) that goes into the silicone tube that connects to the supercharger.
Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 8.07.40 PM.png

I thought I'd taken a picture of the inside of the Eventuri silicone tube but I didn't. It's completely smooth inside; no ridges or bumps.

It's not just the filter element. The Eventuri focuses and channels the airflow so more air gets into the supercharger faster. A less restrictive air filter in the stock airbox is probably going to make some difference, but it still has that disruptive path to go through. It's not going to make as much difference as the Eventuri system.

Forgot to ask @Eagle7 did they not log AFR's?
We will when we do our runs to see the effect on those from each intake setup.

@LuckysDad Filter swap isnt too bad, there are three torx screws that have to be removed that are the biggest pain of the whole swap.

It's not just the filter element. The Eventuri focuses and channels the airflow so more air gets into the supercharger faster. A less restrictive air filter in the stock airbox is probably going to make some difference, but it still has that disruptive path to go through. It's not going to make as much difference as the Eventuri system.
Thanks, those are great pics. The reason I asked is that you will reduce pumping loss of the supercharger by any reduction of restriction (either turbulent air or filter obstruction). If I choose to go this way, I would want to be very comfortable that the Eventuri filter still provides a high level of particulate filtration to protect the engine, and that the gains weren't based mostly on an overly porous filter.

Forgot to ask @Eagle7 did they not log AFR's?
We will when we do our runs to see the effect on those from each intake setup.

@LuckysDad Filter swap isnt too bad, there are three torx screws that have to be removed that are the biggest pain of the whole swap.
That was something I specifically asked about, and unfortunately their AFR sensor is a long tube that can't fit into the exhaust. The Emira exhaust makes a 90 degree turn almost right away. He said he's going to look into seeing if there's a sensor with a flexible tube so he can get readings on cars like mine. I will be very interested to see what you get for results if you're able to test the AFR.

You can get 2/3rds of this intake power gain by removing the gauze off the front of the stock air filter. Dyno tested and confirmed on two Emira's so far.
Now I need to find out how much hp gains are added from the 3rd cat delete.
Zero. Same for deleting the entire muffler. That actually lost power on mine.

Aaron
ATS Racing and Exotics

Can we get the uncorrected dyno charts please? Your two pulls are showing different SAE correction factors, which is unusual considering the weather is almost identical. It may be automated based on a weather station "accessory" with the dyno, but it's hard to say whether the correction factor is correct without knowing if it's been calibrated recently.

To avoid doubt, there should be a way to switch the view into uncorrected mode, which would make the absolute values less "accurate" but increase the fidelity of the comparison between the two runs, which is what most of us care about.

1720644213591.png

Last edited:
Very impressive for an intake though you expect more gains with forced induction. Question is whether a high flow airflow gets you most of that gain or the eventuri is the difference maker. Either way solid result and thank you.

You can get 2/3rds of this intake power gain by removing the gauze off the front of the stock air filter. Dyno tested and confirmed on two Emira's so far.

Aaron
ATS Racing and Exotics
I'd like to see the dyno charts before and after removing the 3rd Cat to confirm this please @ATSAaron.
Since removing the GPF Cat, mine idles far better and smoother + better all round acceleration.
Are you talking about removing the complete exhaust (as we call it in the UK, or just the GPF?)

Aaron
ATS Racing and Exotics
I will agree with removing the gauze, from the intake filter as you call it - I call it angel-hair, which is replaceable if you’re in the know. But for those using the car in the wet and as an everyday-driver I wouldn’t suggest it, due to where the intake is situated (unless you are going to replace this gauze / angel-hair every 2-3k miles) - just saying.

Not calling you out, however, you may want to clarify / simply your original statement - especially as no one will remove the complete exhaust…..

Back