• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Any way to fix the brake dust?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there
The brake dust on these cars is pretty nuts.
Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Either pads or some sort of treatment I can put on the wheels?
Thanks a ton

CE772045-9A80-4600-B60B-4B855EBEE6A2.jpeg

Ugh. I pretty much have silver wheels for 2 days and then gunmetal until the next wash.

People are experimenting with low dust brake pads but I haven’t seen anyone come out with a clear solution. Meaning- just a different pad with OEM fit and performance with lower dust.

View attachment 51024
Ugh. I pretty much have silver wheels for 2 days and then gunmetal until the next wash.

People are experimenting with low dust brake pads but I haven’t seen anyone come out with a clear solution. Meaning- just a different pad with OEM fit and performance with lower dust.
Can't wait until someone does!!!

You can ceramic coat the wheels to make them a bit easier to clean or change the pad compound but there's no magic.
All my sports cars with steel rotors are brake dust machines. I've also got silver wheels on my Emira and got platinum wheels on the other car to hide the dirt for bit longer. :ROFLMAO:

I feel for those who chose gloss black wheels. I would find them impossible to maintain.

GRP has had low dust EBC pads on back order, but told me yesterday they should be shipping out this week.

My wheels are ceramic coated with G Techniq, while they clean easier than without a coating, they do nothing in terms of preventing dust build up. After a good cleaning, only 50-100 miles later are the wheels completely covered in soot. I will be replacing my pads the moment they arrive at my door

Hey,
You can try ceramic coating. I've heard that because of the smooth surface after applying the coating, dust doesn't stick as much, and cleaning becomes easier. I don't know of any other methods besides regular cleaning.

Last I saw he was still dealing with break noise after switching to the Reds - he was working on a solution, but not sure if he solved it.
He had some pad thickness challenges as well, so he didn't use the anti-squeal backing plate at first. Not sure where he got to with the whole project. Maybe he'll chime in.

He had some pad thickness challenges as well, so he didn't use the anti-squeal backing plate at first. Not sure where he got to with the whole project. Maybe he'll chime in.
I got the backing plates back on but still a little bit of noise. Turns out even with the master cylinder cap off you really need to push those pistons back hard, so hard that my piston spreader tool was bending -- lots of stiction here on the piston square seals I think.

I'm okay with a little noise, my wheels are still silver after a month.

Ordered the EBC reds on @kitkat's endorsement. Dying for them to arrive. I have gloss black wheels, they're basically only ever clean immediately after I clean them :/

One other solution to this problem is getting after market carbon ceramic breaks. Obviously, a massive expense. I swear I might do it though. I'm a clean freak and absolutely hate the dust.

I am going to miss my CCB's that I currently have when I get my Emira. Not looking forward to the dust issue especially as a DD. CCB with ceramic coated wheels and calipers has been incredible. Frankly if they had an option to get those on the Emira I would get it! Add to my list of Emira wishes LOL!

Yeah that'll be very hard to move back to. But hey, the Emira is awesome so you'll still love it. Having said that, I've made a promise to myself to never get steel brakes again. My M3 is a nightmare just like the Emira.

Yeah that'll be very hard to move back to. But hey, they Emira is awesome so you'll still love it. Having said that, I've made a promise to myself to never get steel brakes again. My M3 is a nightmare just like the Emira.
Yeah once you've gone CCB its hard to go back. I can literally go months and not wash it and it looks clean.

I had my place ceramic coat the wheels and calipers with 2 coats.. It's easier to clean for sure but it doesn't stop the dust from collecting.. It does only take about 10 mins to wipe off the wheels though with the ceramic and a proper brush..

I too am waiting on a proper pad to reduce the dust considerably. Sadly I am NOT mechanically inclined so I can't do it myself and I don't really trust a shop to do it like @kitkat did and not cut corners..

I guess I will wait until someone comes out with a perfect fit pad.

Ryan G

My EBC reds from GRP shipped earlier today after backordering them 5 weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to hopefully lower dust soon. In 3500 street miles so far I've never really pushed the brakes hard enough to need an aggressive/high temp pad compound. This is mostly because Florida is flat as a board. I'll keep the OEM pads for whenever I move next or do a trip to the Smokies or Blue Ridge. Ceramic coating has indeed made cleaning much easier, but does very little to prevent buildup as mentioned above.

I might be crazy, but I might entertain the idea of spending $8-10k on carbon ceramics if they became available. The idea of being 100% dust free and dropping 30-40lbs of unsprung weight is enticing. Plus they look beautiful.

My EBC reds from GRP shipped earlier today after backordering them 5 weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to hopefully lower dust soon. In 3500 street miles so far I've never really pushed the brakes hard enough to need an aggressive/high temp pad compound. This is mostly because Florida is flat as a board. I'll keep the OEM pads for whenever I move next or do a trip to the Smokies or Blue Ridge. Ceramic coating has indeed made cleaning much easier, but does very little to prevent buildup as mentioned above.

I might be crazy, but I might entertain the idea of spending $8-10k on carbon ceramics if they became available. The idea of being 100% dust free and dropping 30-40lbs of unsprung weight is enticing. Plus they look beautiful.
They do look beautiful and the weight savings would be a bonus, but I can't see me paying $10k so I don't have to clean my wheels haha..

Let us know if that happens though, I would love to see them!