• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Any way to fix the brake dust?

luciddaydream

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Hi there
The brake dust on these cars is pretty nuts.
Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

Either pads or some sort of treatment I can put on the wheels?
Thanks a ton

They do look beautiful and the weight savings would be a bonus, but I can't see me paying $10k so I don't have to clean my wheels haha..

Let us know if that happens though, I would love to see them!
This is extremely off topic.. but the thought has crossed my mind and this reminds me of the idea: it would be quite cool to see someone (who's insane) upgrade the Emira to the nines. Carbon body panels, total engine rework, ceramic brakes, etc. Not like a crazy track thing, like a restomod Singer type job. It's such a beautiful car, but it is a tad heavy for how small it is, tad underpowered, etc. It deserves at least one person doing this.

This is extremely off topic.. but the thought has crossed my mind and this reminds me of the idea: it would be quite cool to see someone (who's insane) upgrade the Emira to the nines. Carbon body panels, total engine rework, ceramic brakes, etc. Not like a crazy track thing, like a restomod Singer type job. It's such a beautiful car, but it is a tad heavy for how small it is, tad underpowered, etc. It deserves at least one person doing this.
Actually I was hoping someone would do a Singer type restomod to an Esprit S1...quilted leather in the engine bay with an impeccable engine rebuild and a an interior better than anything that came out of the factory! Just a dream...

I would consider carbon brakes for the weight but for city driving they're not great. They work better when they're warm. So for mountain passes they're great, but I don't know that I want them the rest of the time.

It's interesting to hear that perhaps the reds will fit with the anti squeal pads still fitted. @kitkat are those for primarily street or harder driving? Mine is about fifty fifty spirited mountain driving and daily commuting.

I would consider carbon brakes for the weight but for city driving they're not great. They work better when they're warm. So for mountain passes they're great, but I don't know that I want them the rest of the time.

It's interesting to hear that perhaps the reds will fit with the anti squeal pads still fitted. @kitkat are those for primarily street or harder driving? Mine is about fifty fifty spirited mountain driving and daily commuting.
If you’re driving your car hard in the mountains, stock and ebc red stuff both fade within 6 or 7 hard braking zones. Neither are suited for that and both dust a lot in that situation.

Our idea of driving hard may not be well aligned though.

My EBC reds from GRP shipped earlier today after backordering them 5 weeks ago, so I'm looking forward to hopefully lower dust soon. In 3500 street miles so far I've never really pushed the brakes hard enough to need an aggressive/high temp pad compound. This is mostly because Florida is flat as a board. I'll keep the OEM pads for whenever I move next or do a trip to the Smokies or Blue Ridge. Ceramic coating has indeed made cleaning much easier, but does very little to prevent buildup as mentioned above.

I might be crazy, but I might entertain the idea of spending $8-10k on carbon ceramics if they became available. The idea of being 100% dust free and dropping 30-40lbs of unsprung weight is enticing. Plus they look beautiful.
After you get them please let me know how the fitment is :)

Interesting... did they happen to specify what part numbers would be compatible?
Sorry, I am not sure about the part number, but the endless brakes were one of the high-end options.

These look promising: https://www.endless-sport.global/gb/products/pad_1a/134

If anybody can find out if they can be mounted on the Emira as it should have the same brake pads as the Evora, I would buy them.

Can they be installed without removing the backing pad? Just needs to relieve the pressure and spread the pistons?

I vaguely recall a thread in here somewhere where CCB's were being discussed. I don't recall if someone had sourced an aftermarket solution to them.
Yes I have 2 CCB brake manufacturers I’m in talks with at the moment. Due to the limited market and low compatibility with other cars it’s very difficult to get someone interested.
I’m trying g to get a kit together and am waiting for confirmation from AP on the specific discs used on the Emira. The next step is paying for a set of discs. I’m hoping AP can source the same size and figment but hopefully a lighter set but failing that I have another option for a performance bell based on sending the AP OEM spec ones for measurement.
It’s a painful process because no one will guarantee anything as far as compatibility meaning the first set will arrive and I have to fit them and trust all is good.
Once I have a set I hope to have my local Lotus dealer to have agreed to fit them.
I will post an update as soon as I get further replies.

Awesome. I emailed AP racing and they told me they didn't have anything compatible. Hopefully you have better luck.

Can you see the red paint of the ebc reds behind the emira calipers? 😁

You’d really have to be deep in there with your head a foot away, the right lighting, and the pads cleaned up to notice.

Attachments

• IMG_3890.jpeg
    IMG_3890.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 41
Awesome. I emailed AP racing and they told me they didn't have anything compatible. Hopefully you have better luck.
This is why everything is so difficult because the dealer confirmed with Lotus AP Racing make the brakes, as in the discs and callipers. AP have relationships with CCB companies and could get this arranged easily but don’t want to.