Anyone planning on driving their Emira through winter?

Blackthought_

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
And just like that I woke up this morning in NJ and it was a chilly 45 degrees which reminded me winter is right around the corner. Around this time I often contemplate do I tuck away my fun car for the summer or do I put on all season tires and drive it like it’s meant to be driven?? Life is too short to not drive for several months! For those of us living in cold temperatures, what are you planning on doing this winter!?

South Texas will drive year around do avoid tropical storms 😀. Hate washing and waxing after each rain so I drive my convertible in the rain 🌧️ sound crazy…
Summer temperatures 101day 82 night
Winter temperatures 70day 55 night
Sometimes if can freeze 🥶 a few times a year. Once the sun comes out the temperature quickly rises…

Every sunny and salt-free day (following a good rain to clean the roads). Planning on leaving the Goodyears on. Will see how they do below freezing.

Will there be some unavoidable salt exposure? Yes
Will parts of the car wear faster by cycling to operating temps from freezing? Yes
Would I give up this car for 25% of every year to avoid that? Nope.

2nd winter for me. Car is there for the using. I hate salted roads but it’s insignificant in the grand scheme of life. Some of the best drives are crisp winter days.

Every sunny and salt-free day (following a good rain to clean the roads). Planning on leaving the Goodyears on. Will see how they do below freezing.

Will there be some unavoidable salt exposure? Yes
Will parts of the car wear faster by cycling to operating temps from freezing? Yes
Would I give up this car for 25% of every year to avoid that? Nope.
Be careful running the Goodyears that cold! They really aren’t designed to run near freezing. You can easily get a shoulder crack and a catastrophic deflation.

Summer performance tires usually get pretty slick anyway below 45!

Winters in PNW are not too bad - lots of rain but not much snow and ice. I drove my GR Supra through the winter and plan to do so with the Emira as well. But it will definitely be driven less than usual.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back