• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Auto Racing Helmets

Dragoon

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
LOG43 is coming up, and I've signed up for the Circuit Of The Americas track day. It's a Chin Track Day event, and we are required to wear an open or full-face helmet. My current helmets are out of date, so I need to get a new one. My previous auto racing helmets have been full-face helmets because I was in an open-cockpit racecar, but since I will be in the Emira, they will allow open-face helmets. I know that a full-face helmet is a safer option, but I wanted to see if anyone had advice or thoughts on using an open-face helmet for a semi-serious track day event. An open-face helmet would be easier to take on and off and provide more fresh air since I will be inside the car with only the windows down and the AC off. I don't believe an open-face helmet provides any additional headroom over a full-face helmet, or is there? The only other benefit of an open-face helmet I can think of is the price.

One of the more affordable full-face helmets I've seen that is also lightweight is the Conquer Carbon Fiber helmet. Does anyone have any experience with this brand?

conquer carbon fiber helmet.jpg

I just got back from COTA and the heat down in the paddock was brutal this weekend ... hopefully it will be better for LOG. Here are my thoughts on helmet:

- are you planning on doing this one and done ... if so then see if there are some places to rent or buy a cheaper open face
- I've used an open when going to a performance driving classes but use a full face for my track days. (plus a Simpson hybrid) I track about 12-15 days per year
- I 'feel' more secure with the full in case I ever hit something
- most people that I know that have bought an open and then decide to get more involved with tracking, upgrade to a full
- Some other brands to look at with HJC, Pyrotect, Gforce

I just got back from COTA and the heat down in the paddock was brutal this weekend ... hopefully it will be better for LOG. Here are my thoughts on helmet:

- are you planning on doing this one and done ... if so then see if there are some places to rent or buy a cheaper open face
- I've used an open when going to a performance driving classes but use a full face for my track days. (plus a Simpson hybrid) I track about 12-15 days per year
- I 'feel' more secure with the full in case I ever hit something
- most people that I know that have bought an open and then decide to get more involved with tracking, upgrade to a full
- Some other brands to look at with HJC, Pyrotect, Gforce
Awesome! What car were you racing? I hope this is the start of a lot more track time, so I will probably invest in a good middle-of-the-road full-face helmet.

Awesome! What car were you racing? I hope this is the start of a lot more track time, so I will probably invest in a good middle-of-the-road full-face helmet.
I have a '23 Z06 that is my primary. I have another 350Hp manual that I track also but it doesn't give me the 'thrill' that the Z06 does. I will definitely take the Emira out also and see how it performs ..... It can get addictive

If you're looking at Simpson or Hans and certain helmets, I might be able to save you some $$. Feel free to PM

I have a '23 Z06 that is my primary. I have another 350Hp manual that I track also but it doesn't give me the 'thrill' that the Z06 does. I will definitely take the Emira out also and see how it performs ..... It can get addictive

If you're looking at Simpson or Hans and certain helmets, I might be able to save you some $$. Feel free to PM
Awesome! I'm curious what lap times an Emira will run. Have you seen one put down a time out there yet?

You can always remove the visor completely on a full face helmet if you want a sort of open face feel.

There's also helmets with larger openings that feel far less claustrophobic - such as the Bell M8. My older Bell Sport EV helmet - which they don't make anymore - had a very large opening, so when I got my new Bell GT6 I was shocked by how much smaller the eye port was!

Overall, a huge +1 to MPD's suggestions.