Being held to ransom with my own car

Lots_Of_Trouble

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Today I was told by Lotus that I cannot receive my car back from them until they get their seatbelt parts in stock.

For context,the breakdown issue I had at a petrol station was nearly 6 weeks ago,Lotus fooled around with collection,even sending a van,yes a VAN,to pick it up one time.

They finally it up last Friday to take it to Rybrook Solihull.

Knowing for over a month these cars needed the seatbelt change they had the parts in stock last month.

My vehicle has been with them a week,untouched because they haven't got the parts in now,I have nonupdate whether they have fixed the software issue that caused the car not to start at the petrol station and they have now told me I'm not getting it back until they can fix the car.

This was the last straw.
I've now demanded my money back,fat chance I'll get it but I need it back because I've decided to list it after the absolute circus that is Lotus Customer services and their complete lack of ownership.

They knew my car was in last week yet for over a month couldn't ensure the parts would be there (even though they had it in originally)

I know,I'm ranting,but this whole experience has just been comical.

I will always say it,when the car works,it's phenomenal, but the thought of ever having to deal with Lotus again just boils my p!$$

That sounds truly miserable. Is it me or has this been the absolute worst week for stories like this? It's really hard to get any perspective on things as very few people on here seem to be having a good ownership experience right now.

Up until recently I've been fairly dethatched from things, hoping it's just early teething issues but now my own commit point is looming I'm seriously losing my nerve. I was at least expecting the V6's to be sorted by now and the only residual risks being associated with the new engine and drivetrain but that could end up landing on top of all these other issues!

That sounds truly miserable. Is it me or has this been the absolute worst week for stories like this? It's really hard to get any perspective on things as very few people on here seem to be having a good ownership experience right now.

Up until recently I've been fairly dethatched from things, hoping it's just early teething issues but now my own commit point is looming I'm seriously losing my nerve. I was at least expecting the V6's to be sorted by now and the only residual risks being associated with the new engine and drivetrain but that could end up landing on top of all these other issues!
I agree, stories like this are truly worrisome but I do have to wonder how representative they are of the total percentage of owners out there since it's well known that happy buyers generally do not take the time to report their experiences nearly as much as those who are disappointed or frustrated. For now, let's hope that's the case here and these experiences are still the exception.

Sorry to hear about your painful experience, @Lots_Of_Trouble, I'd probably be ready to throw in the towel as well. My closest Lotus dealer is about 2 hours drive each way so if I have to make that more than a couple times for the Emira (post-purchase) it will definitely make me second guess things. It's such a beautiful car...it deserves a better post-purchase supporting cast from Lotus.

Today I was told by Lotus that I cannot receive my car back from them until they get their seatbelt parts in stock.

For context,the breakdown issue I had at a petrol station was nearly 6 weeks ago,Lotus fooled around with collection,even sending a van,yes a VAN,to pick it up one time.

They finally it up last Friday to take it to Rybrook Solihull.

Knowing for over a month these cars needed the seatbelt change they had the parts in stock last month.

My vehicle has been with them a week,untouched because they haven't got the parts in now,I have nonupdate whether they have fixed the software issue that caused the car not to start at the petrol station and they have now told me I'm not getting it back until they can fix the car.

This was the last straw.
I've now demanded my money back,fat chance I'll get it but I need it back because I've decided to list it after the absolute circus that is Lotus Customer services and their complete lack of ownership.

They knew my car was in last week yet for over a month couldn't ensure the parts would be there (even though they had it in originally)

I know,I'm ranting,but this whole experience has just been comical.

I will always say it,when the car works,it's phenomenal, but the thought of ever having to deal with Lotus again just boils my p!$$

Can you clarify please? Are you saying that Lotus Cars UK has the car? Or that a particular independent dealer has the car?

Sure, first let me point out as I always have,I am a massive fan of the car,when trouble free,I love it.
It's the service and incompetence of Lotus that comes with it that grinds my gears and has driven me to this decision.

Lotus Rybrook Solihull have it,but they are not the problem,its HQ and customer service that I've been in constant contact with since the first issue 6 weeks ago.

I even had the regional head contact me saying this is not right,a few weeks ago saying that this will get better,we'll,it certainly hasn't.

They knew it was coming in on the date they set after the multiple cock ups of picking it up,yet they have jad it sat there a week without the parts..

Sorry to hear this

I’m sure it is only a few cars that have been very unlucky. It would be very interesting to find out if these were vehicles that were left outside during the winter weather.

It really is a shame, my car was handed over with faulty power steering and I was without it for a couple of weeks.

I was also very close to just telling them to take the car back and give me a full refund, I made that quite clear at the time the problem was being addressed.

They did pull through although slower than i expected, and the car has been brilliant for the last six weeks. I still haven’t done 1000 miles yet. No real issues to report, the occasional reduced acceleration warning that goes away after you shut down and power up. I am sure a future software upgrade at the annual service will rectify it

Sure, first let me point out as I always have,I am a massive fan of the car,when trouble free,I love it.
It's the service and incompetence of Lotus that comes with it that grinds my gears and has driven me to this decision.

Lotus Rybrook Solihull have it,but they are not the problem,its HQ and customer service that I've been in constant contact with since the first issue 6 weeks ago.

I even had the regional head contact me saying this is not right,a few weeks ago saying that this will get better,we'll,it certainly hasn't.

They knew it was coming in on the date they set after the multiple cock ups of picking it up,yet they have jad it sat there a week without the parts..
I’m really sorry to hear about your experience and it’s a shame it went that way.
But I have a few questions, was the dealer aware the car is coming ? Were you in contact with them prior to the handover ? Did they know which parts are needed to be replaced and if so were they indeed in stock ? Did you verify any of those things with the dealer ?
Not taking the blame off Lotus and they certainly had to make sure things go the right way if they took responsibility of the matter, but I have to ask why were you in contact with HQ/customer service for fixing problems with the car and not a dealer ? It sounds odd and a way for problems to occur (due to miss communication, a lot of phone calls between departments instead of a dealer that’s in contact with the exact relevant people, at least where I come from it would definitely make a mess)

I've had the same problems with lotus customer care.
My car wouldn't start.
So they sent the AA out twice then finally another company subcontracted by the AA and took it to a dealer. That dealer then rang me and said they'd had no knowledge of my car and why it was arriving today. I rang lotus they said they couldn't find my car on their systems but someone would call me back later and email me later that day. Of course they didn't so I rang again the following day and they have actually said they have my car now. But its obvious everything and everyone are barely connected. lotus systems, the dealer, the customer care team, the factory. what a mess. Been given a saloon car as a courtesy car. I'd happily take a refund at this point. I just hope my cars just not going to be sat doing nothing for the next month while I'm missing out driving it for the best weeks of the year.

Sorry to hear this

I’m sure it is only a few cars that have been very unlucky. It would be very interesting to find out if these were vehicles that were left outside during the winter weather.

It really is a shame, my car was handed over with faulty power steering and I was without it for a couple of weeks.

I was also very close to just telling them to take the car back and give me a full refund, I made that quite clear at the time the problem was being addressed.

They did pull through although slower than i expected, and the car has been brilliant for the last six weeks. I still haven’t done 1000 miles yet. No real issues to report, the occasional reduced acceleration warning that goes away after you shut down and power up. I am sure a future software upgrade at the annual service will rectify it
How can you be “sure”?

Honestly, in contrast, I believe there may be more owners with issues that are choosing to be silent. Doing so allows them to save face (avoid shame). Plus, if you choose to sell it shortly afterward, which many have chosen, you’re likely to have better results if you aren’t airing all your issues.

Can’t imagine a successful ad ~ Emira for sale. One owner. 2k miles. 6 months old. (All while the owner hopes potential buyers won’t visit this site only to see countless issues with that specific car.)

How can you be “sure”?

Honestly, in contrast, I believe there may be more owners with issues that are choosing to be silent. Doing so allows them to save face (avoid shame). Plus, if you choose to sell it shortly afterward, which many have chosen, you’re likely to have better results if you aren’t airing all your issues.

Can’t imagine a successful ad ~ Emira for sale. One owner. 2k miles. 6 months old. (All while the owner hopes potential buyers won’t visit this site only to see countless issues with that specific car.)
This is a valid argument.

Does anyone have estimated delivery numbers in the UK and elsewhere to-date of the Emira? Just to throw out some ballpark/wild guess numbers, If they are producing ~20 cars per day for the last ~6 months, that's around 3,600 Emiras produced.

Now Let's just say they have only delivered roughly half that number (2,000 for arguments' sake). If there are 20 people on the forum ranting about their horrible experience, that leaves 1,980 people out there either suffering in silence or thoroughly loving their car. I would hazard a guess that the 'suffering in silence' people are few in number and maybe account for the ~30-40 Emira listings online. Still, that's a very small minority (call it 50-60 failures/angry customers out of 2,000 deliveries or about 2-3% of deliveries).

Again, I'm surmising pretty much all of the numbers above but trying to make the point that we shouldn't necessarily make too many assumptions about ALL Emiras based solely on what we hear on this forum. Also, I'm not trying to belittle the agony of those who have had a bad experience, just trying to keep things in perspective, for my own benefit if nothing else :)

How can you be “sure”?

Almost 50% of the cars on autotrader ( exc demo’s ) have mileage on them some owners are quickly coming out of these cars - obviously reasons will be varied - but yes noticed the HY car that lets says has “character” straight away with its distinctive spec

This is a valid argument.

Does anyone have estimated delivery numbers in the UK and elsewhere to-date of the Emira? Just to throw out some ballpark/wild guess numbers, If they are producing ~20 cars per day for the last ~6 months, that's around 3,600 Emiras produced.

Now Let's just say they have only delivered roughly half that number (2,000 for arguments' sake). If there are 20 people on the forum ranting about their horrible experience, that leaves 1,980 people out there either suffering in silence or thoroughly loving their car. I would hazard a guess that the 'suffering in silence' people are few in number and maybe account for the ~30-40 Emira listings online. Still, that's a very small minority (call it 50-60 failures/angry customers out of 2,000 deliveries or about 2-3% of deliveries).

Again, I'm surmising pretty much all of the numbers above but trying to make the point that we shouldn't necessarily make too many assumptions about ALL Emiras based solely on what we hear on this forum. Also, I'm not trying to belittle the agony of those who have had a bad experience, just trying to keep things in perspective, for my own benefit if nothing else :)
Don’t forget most people come to forums to discuss problems most of the times. And if I recall correctly an owner said he was invoice no. ~520 some weeks ago (but idk if they started to count from 0).

My invoice was 685, so maybe around 700 delivered now?

... I would hazard a guess that the 'suffering in silence' people are few in number ...

... keep things in perspective, for my own benefit if nothing else :)

I think you might underestimate the UK/brand-fans ability to suffer/hope in silence.

If it's more like 1:10 will take to a (this) forum to complain - then that's 200 unhappy customers.

Majority of deliveries would be to excited Lotus junkies + a few flippers and "I'll try that" enthusiasts.

As an UK ex-pat now living in US - I know I'm giving them more of a fighting chance than an established German/Japanese brand.

Hanging in with perspective for now.
Would be a shame if the serious, recurring issues are not sorted.

Oh + and I'm 100% holding out for I4 turbo goodness. Nothing against V6's.

I’m really sorry to hear about your experience and it’s a shame it went that way.
But I have a few questions, was the dealer aware the car is coming ? Were you in contact with them prior to the handover ? Did they know which parts are needed to be replaced and if so were they indeed in stock ? Did you verify any of those things with the dealer ?
Not taking the blame off Lotus and they certainly had to make sure things go the right way if they took responsibility of the matter, but I have to ask why were you in contact with HQ/customer service for fixing problems with the car and not a dealer ? It sounds odd and a way for problems to occur (due to miss communication, a lot of phone calls between departments instead of a dealer that’s in contact with the exact relevant people, at least where I come from it would definitely make a mess)
Yep,spoken dozens of times to HQ after the issue and they were the ones that set the date for pick up,weeks in advance,they knew it was happening.
Dealership rang Me up and said parts were in,they were the ones that made me aware that Lotus were changing the seatbelts and had asked.

They were expecting the car in some time ago,Lotus HQ/CS couldn't organise anything properly,put it this way-i clearly articulated that I was away for a week in Switzerland, the AA rang me up whilst in Switzerland saying they were outside my house to pick up the car....

So no,Lotus were fully aware,communication was fluent throughout, they knew and set the date itnwas going in,they were in contact with the dealer.

How can you be “sure”?

Trust me there's no shame here.

I'm pissed off with the company and happy to air it.

I love the brand,I love the car what I don't love is time wasters and people that can't organise a simple task

Long time lurker but the the fact your from Rugby and using Rybrook prompted me to reply.

Have been a long time Lotus owner but issues with my Exige and absolutely awful customer service, even after telling them I was looking at buying an Emira turned me away and I ended up picking up a Mac.

Rybrook are great and your car is in good hands from my experience. I dropped my car in for an aircon issue recently and one of the guys was telling me what a nightmare Lotus are to deal with. Dealing with Lotus Silverstone before with the Exige this was also apparent. From what both dealers have said they are kind of at the mercy of head office with everything having to go back to them and be approved. They are not allowed to just remedy things themselves anymore and you are now buying cars directly from Lotus with the dealerships just acting as storefronts.

I really want this company to thrive and grow. While there are teething issues with the cars the main issue is with their customer service.

Yep,spoken dozens of times to HQ after the issue and they were the ones that set the date for pick up,weeks in advance,they knew it was happening.
Dealership rang Me up and said parts were in,they were the ones that made me aware that Lotus were changing the seatbelts and had asked.

They were expecting the car in some time ago,Lotus HQ/CS couldn't organise anything properly,put it this way-i clearly articulated that I was away for a week in Switzerland, the AA rang me up whilst in Switzerland saying they were outside my house to pick up the car....

So no,Lotus were fully aware,communication was fluent throughout, they knew and set the date itnwas going in,they were in contact with the dealer.
idk it sound like the dealer is to blame, if the dealer told HQ they have the parts (HQ should also know where parts are sent) and to you as well then what did the dealer do with those parts ? Either the dealer lied in the first place or they gave it to a different customer hoping another one would come up before you came back, but something just doesn’t end up (with the dealer).
I just can think of a single good reason for HQ/customer service to do so (only negative effects), and I can’t see the dealer taking the blame for them (especially after lotus decided the direct business model).
And if it turns out to be the actual case I wouldn’t advise anyone to go to that dealer, do look into it because that’s not how you treat a customer.
If it turns out to be lotus, as a hole lotus image wouldn’t be good, but imo that’s not the case (for now).

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back