• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Body Color and Appearance: Is maximum brightness really the best?

The Emira's design is accentuated by colors that contrasts with the black rocker panels and black roof, forming a thin pinched waist design that is very pleasing to look at. The brighter the color, the stronger this effect. Really the only two colors that don't show this effect are the Dark Verdant and Shadow Grey. A lot of cars look great in dark colors, but it's a poor fit for the Emira, in my opinion.
Yes, it seems as though the Dark Verdant accents the side profile of the Emira, only when the sun is illuminating the color and the profile. That may happen only during early morning and late afternoon. The color looks fantastic when this occurs, though.

Magma looks somewhat like the Mazda Soul Red Premium Metallic color. There are many of them out there, at least in Southern Cali.
I just was staring at a Soul Red CX-5 the other day. What a color! I wish magma had that much depth. It's in the ballpark but I think Mazda still wins.

I just was staring at a Soul Red CX-5 the other day. What a color! I wish magma had that much depth. It's in the ballpark but I think Mazda still wins.
When the sun hits it, the color glows unlike any other. It reminds me of the Enkei wheels (for my MX5) I had powder epoxy coated. The base is called "super chrome" and is followed by a translucent blue polyurethane coat. Some people call it blue chrome or candy apple blue.
Blue chrome Enkei 17x7 Small.jpg

Soul red is gorgeous. I remember watching something about how they get so much depth. There's a special process to get the paint to look like it does. Many thin layers.

The Emira's design is accentuated by colors that contrasts with the black rocker panels and black roof, forming a thin pinched waist design that is very pleasing to look at. The brighter the color, the stronger this effect. Really the only two colors that don't show this effect are the Dark Verdant and Shadow Grey. A lot of cars look great in dark colors, but it's a poor fit for the Emira, in my opinion.
Silver Evora vs Shadow Grey Emira.
1 PM. Overcast
IMG_4778.jpeg

One of my former coworkers said that it reminds him of a front-end collision and resulting buckled hood. Since I understand its design purpose, I'm okay with it.

I actually think it looks like that too especially from further away. It’s one of my least favorite parts about the design but I’m still okay with it.

Not man enough? I don’t get it lol
What I meant was, I wouldn't be able to enjoy dinner because I would be too worried about someone messing with my car. Unfortunately, my brain works like that.

What I meant was, I wouldn't be able to enjoy dinner because I would be too worried about someone messing with my car. Unfortunately, my brain works like that.
oh lol. Yeah, but 99.999% of the time, the main issue when parking, is coming back to find Karen in her 1993 206 opening her door straight into the side of our car. I park in the furthest possible bay away from everyone, and when I come back, there she is. lol

It will be my daily I’ll be there all the time
Ok but why have this car as your only vehicle? It isn't at all practical. Buy some little 1990s pickup for a few thousand and keep it in reserve. I sold one just a few years ago for 2500 bucks.

I actually think it looks like that too especially from further away. It’s one of my least favorite parts about the design but I’m still okay with it.

I understand people who see it this way, but generally think it's only from certain angles. I've come to think of the bonnet like stretched fabric pulled taught. Looking at it that way communicates lightness visually.

Like this

20%27+Triangle+Shade+Sail.jpg

Bright colors also help you be seen by other drivers, like Karen taking Timmy to soccer practice in her 8,000 lbs SUV that does 0-60 in 2 seconds.

Bright colors also help you be seen by other drivers, like Karen taking Timmy to soccer practice in her 8,000 lbs SUV that does 0-60 in 2 seconds.
This is especially true at night, although most of my night-driving was done when I was single and going out to clubs. Of all the current colors, I think the yellow is the most visible under all conditions. Still, dark verdant under an angled sun looks like a gemstone to me.

Ok but why have this car as your only vehicle? It isn't at all practical. Buy some little 1990s pickup for a few thousand and keep it in reserve. I sold one just a few years ago for 2500 bucks.
I’m of the opinion every mile spent in a schitbox is poor use of my time. #delivery
im also on a shotgun forum (sporting clays) and guys have dozens of shotguns, I don’t get it. I have a beautiful Cesar Guerini and can’t imagine not shooting it. I feel that way about cars. Daily an awesome car every day.

"One car, one house, one piece of jewelry, one girlfriend or one wife. That's all you need. Don't screw that up. I'm going to tell you that so you've been told. You've been told. You'll understand later in life. Don't be that guy. One of everything."
-Coach Edwards

Last edited:
I’m of the opinion every mile spent in a schitbox is poor use of my time. #delivery
im also on a shotgun forum (sporting clays) and guys have dozens of shotguns, I don’t get it. I have a beautiful Cesar Guerini and can’t imagine not shooting it. I feel that way about cars. Daily an awesome car every day.
I've had two cars since 1980, just after I bought a used 68 Corvette convertible for $5000. I quickly realized that I needed a second car to drive during snow-covered days, and to take me and friends to inner-city nightclubs. Nowadays, I try not to drive my MX5 on rainy days, partially because it has a true CAI with filter behind the front grill.
But I plan to, if necessary, stop at a Home Depot, credit union, etc. while driving the Emira because as you say, it'll be much more entertaining to drive. Thankfully, any second car I have will not be a SB/crasher like my first one, a 1968 Mercury Cougar that cost me $300 in 1980.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back