Did someone steal my gas cap?

1. Don’t kid yourself about any of this being things of the past except maybe car radios, which is pretty obvious (in most cars no longer separate units in standard DIN sizes easily stolen and resold).
2. Depending on your location in the country, people will steal anything not nailed down. After Katrina when people in New Orleans were desperately trying to rebuild their houses while living in FEMA trailers thieves were stealing the new copper plumbing and AC compressors just days or hours after they were installed, police no where to be found. Today, catalytic converter thefts are off the hook in many areas. Recently watched a YouTube video of a theft in someone’s driveway of their home with the alarm blaring, security lights on, camera recording all the action and even though the doofuses let the car fall off the jack the first attempt, they managed to accomplish the whole job and drove away with the goods in under 90 seconds.
3. About not making sense that thieves would target the Emira to steal gas rather than a bigger tank, that’s unlocked, I say since when are thieves known to be the sharpest tools in the shed? Who knows what goes through their heads?
4. About good areas vs bad areas, when my car was getting broken into in front of my house every 6 months in New Orleans people used to ask me if I lived in a bad area but my response was no, why would the thieves target a bad area to steal stuff from? Better stuff in good areas.
5. And lastly, how much police presence has everyone seen in the last few years as compared to just 5 or 10 years ago? Who wants to be a cop these days in this environment of defund the police and all the animosity towards police in general? Don’t want to be a Debbie downer but it doesn’t take genius to figure out the opportunity this offers the criminals. In this regard, they are not that stupid.
6. Lastly here’s the latest “film at 11” from So Cal: https://autos.yahoo.com/fuel-thieve...e haven't seen gas,has been sued for millions.
Just can’t make this stuff up. Be safe out there guys.

I don’t know whether or not this is still policy, but for a good long while Dallas, Texas would not prosecute those who stole "necessary items" up to $750.

I certainly have sympathy for someone who feels they have to steal food or baby formula to feed their family; I have no sympathy for someone who steals knowing they won’t be prosecuted for their crime, and can resell what they just stole worth $750…

@Six Speed Stephen the steps outlined to remove the fuel assembly from a parts car is the work of thirty minutes. It's really not bad. The damage to the fender near your fuel cap on the other hand... You have my sympathies.

@Six Speed Stephen the steps outlined to remove the fuel assembly from a parts car is the work of thirty minutes. It's really not bad. The damage to the fender near your fuel cap on the other hand... You have my sympathies.
Thankfully it just peeled the PPF (minus tiny paint chip.) Panel looks intact 🤙

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back