• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Digital dashboard - anybody want gauges with more info?

saknibs

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I'm a bit disappointed with our dashboard displays. Besides a lot of empty unused space, I don't need a large number telling me what gear I'm in. I love to have a display with gauges with indicators, a bit traditional I know but I have always found that gauges tell me a lot at a glance. In addition to the speed, rpm, fuel and coolant temp that we have, I'd like to see oil temp, oil pressure, boost and voltage.

I know it's a matter of software, first getting access to what we have and then writing new code for it. I'm guessing Lotus is sourcing this from Volvo and a search yielded companies that will do custom displays. Volvo forums have some discussions about modding their displays.

Is anyone else interested? Any suggestions for where we start? I've had some responses from Lotus Customer Service, maybe call one of them? If we can get enough interest we may be able to make the cost reasonable if we hire someone.

I'm a bit disappointed with our dashboard displays. Besides a lot of empty unused space, I don't need a large number telling me what gear I'm in. I love to have a display with gauges with indicators, a bit traditional I know but I have always found that gauges tell me a lot at a glance. In addition to the speed, rpm, fuel and coolant temp that we have, I'd like to see oil temp, oil pressure, boost and voltage.

I know it's a matter of software, first getting access to what we have and then writing new code for it. I'm guessing Lotus is sourcing this from Volvo and a search yielded companies that will do custom displays. Volvo forums have some discussions about modding their displays.

Is anyone else interested? Any suggestions for where we start? I've had some responses from Lotus Customer Service, maybe call one of them? If we can get enough interest we may be able to make the cost reasonable if we hire someone.
Another user figured out you can put the Torque app up on the smartphone display on the center screen. That's what I'm intending to do. But yes, modding the center could still be handy so you're not taking over the center display.

Is anyone else interested? Any suggestions for where we start? I've had some responses from Lotus Customer Service, maybe call one of them? If we can get enough interest we may be able to make the cost reasonable if we hire Anythinganything

Anything with gauges, analog or otherwise, I’m 110% in.

I would pay a premium if someone were to make physical gauges that replaced most of the display. I know a small screen is needed for some of the info, but a physics tach, speedo, and a few temp gauges would be awesome.

And yes, I know this is pie-in-the-sky unless I did it myself with 100s of hours of work, or paid someone real big bucks to make it a reality for me.

Another user figured out you can put the Torque app up on the smartphone display on the center screen. That's what I'm intending to do. But yes, modding the center could still be handy so you're not taking over the center display.
I think a fancier version of what the Torque app is gets us mostly there and feels doable.

I have never seen a driver dashboard modified. I have only seen aftermarket wholesale replacements which generally look... aftermarket.

I could help out with digital design of gauges. I've done a lot of design for the apple watch and pixel watch, has a lot of overlap visually and functionality wise. Could be fun. An off-the-shelf design solution might be easier though, but it would be cool to make something bespoke for the Emira. Just throwing it out there.

Back