DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I recently did an oil change on my 2021 Evora GT. Since this is an Emira forum, my intention is not to provide detailed steps because there may be minor differences between Evora and Emira. However, since both cars use the same V6, my experience might help you when you are ready to try an oil change on your Emira V6.

Getting Access
  • Use 10mm socket to open the bolts and then remove the undercarriage tray. Here is a before and after.
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
Materials you may need
  • Oil filter (my local Toyota dealership sells it for about $6). It comes with 2 different size O-rings that you will use. See picture for part number.
    IMG_2379.jpeg
  • Oil pan drain plug washer. Ask your local Toyota dealership for one. Mine threw it in at no cost. I believe the part # is 90430-12031.
  • Motor Oil. 0W-40 is what is recommended for Evora GT. After a 30-min drain, mine took 6 US quarts as confirmed through the dip stick.
    IMG_2397.jpeg
  • 14mm socket will open the oil pan drain plug.
  • 64mm oil filter wrench can be used to open the oil filter housing. I purchased the Motivx brand based on reviews and it was a perfect fit. With this tool, you can use a 3/8 ratchet directly or a 24mm socket.
    IMG_2377.jpeg
  • An Oil filter drain tool to drain the oil sitting inside the oil filter. This tool helps avoid an oily mess when you loosen the oil filter. Also from Motivx and worked great.
    IMG_2379.jpeg
  • A funnel with a flexible hose for when you are ready to pour in new oil. Note that you can’t stick the funnel hose all the way inside the opening because there is a metal plate/filter that blocks the hose from going past 1 inch. In addition, the overall position is awkward and a second set of hands is really helpful here. This will avoid accidental oil spill on engine components.
    IMG_2385.jpeg
    IMG_2400.jpeg
Miscellaneous
  • Old oil filter after 12 months. 1,000 miles since last oil change. Also, the oil filter housing has the torque specs written on it.

IMG_2398.jpeg

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Time2Fly

Emira Fiend
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
What's the oil pan drain plug washer for?

OP
DaaS

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
What's the oil pan drain plug washer for?
The washer sits between the oil pan and the nut that you take off to drain the oil. You almost have to pry it off with a flat head screwdriver.

It’s the dark ring you see in this picture.

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpeg
    IMG_2397.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 40
OP
DaaS

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpeg
    IMG_2382.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 59
OP
DaaS

DaaS

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Interesting that it says it doesn't fit the Lotus Emira.
If I remember correctly, at least on the Evora, there was not enough clearance to screw it in. Might be different on the Emira.

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
If I remember correctly, at least on the Evora, there was not enough clearance to screw it in. Might be different on the Emira.
Bump!

Did anyone ever figure out whether these screw-in oil change funnels work on the Emira? The clearances are tight but I'm not sure if this might still work.

1712690695078.png