DIY - Oil Change Reference for 2GR-FE

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Amsoil Signature is missing the EU ACEA cert but I don’t think that matters much for our application.

If you care about meeting ACEA they offer a European Formula that does match those requirements.

Good videos on European (ACEA) vs US (API):

Amsoil Signature vs Amsoil European Formula additives package:

Redline 0w40 is right up there with Amsoil and it does meet all the certs the owner manual calls for.

Last edited:

Porter

tap tap... is this thing on?
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Totally. ACEA ratings are mostly about extended change interval. Regulatory preference, not engineering spec.

I mean, use a "Euro" oil if you want to. But please don't do ultra extended oil change intervals on a performance vehicle. It's not worth it.

silent cilantro

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Totally. ACEA ratings are mostly about extended change interval. Regulatory preference, not engineering spec.

I mean, use a "Euro" oil if you want to. But please don't do ultra extended oil change intervals on a performance vehicle. It's not worth it.

Yeah from what I understand, ACEA is more about:

- Extended intervals.

- Keeping modern emission control systems alive (Cats, GPFs, etc) by using different additive packages (low SAPs so they burn cleaner but they add other more expensive anti wear additives to make up for it.)

- And overall ability to have more granularity. (API certs are more all encompassing than ACEA. They try to have specific oils for specific applications)

Last edited:

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
Why would I want to do that? Just to go longer between oil changes?

Extending the oil change interval doesn't make sense to me unless this is a consumable daily driver that someone intends to get rid of in 50k miles.

If you intend to change the oil every 5k miles, the Ultra Platinum I originally linked is better oil. Or, quite frankly, Amsoil Signature Series 0W-40 which is excellent as well. It consistently tests to be one of the finest motor oils available and is just slightly more expensive than the Pennzoil Ultra when purchased by the case.
You had mentioned that the oil you linked to wasn't Euro spec, the oil I linked to is.

Eagle7

Emira Aficionado
Reaction score
This guy does great comparisons and tests; Project Farm. I watch a lot of his videos. Here's one where he tests 4 different oils from Pennzoil, and shows how good the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum really is.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
You had mentioned that the oil you linked to wasn't Euro spec, the oil I linked to is.
Right, that's what I'm saying, I don't know why you'd want to use a Euro spec oil. The primary benefit of that type of oil is extending the change interval. Which it does very well, but at the expense of bearing health when used in a high performance application.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
That oil filter part number just keeps coming up as an element kit, but the whole filter assembly.
It fits into a cast filter housing that unscrews from the bottom of the engine. It's not a canister filter, it's a cartridge insert.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
More oil change interval discussion. Similar conclusions.

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My personal thanks to Porter and others for all their good advice on this thread. Being from Canada I'll share this for other DIY Canadian Emira owners:

amazon.ca has the Motivx set of 2 (oil filter wrench mx2320 and drain tool mx2341) for C$221.10; BUT it also has the Motivx set of 3 (the same 2 tools, plus the threaded Toyota oil funnel mx2301) for C$159.49. So it makes no sense to purchase the set of 2, when you get them cheaper, plus you get an additional funnel included with that lesser price. The "jury is still out" when it comes to whether the funnel will work with the Emira, due to a possible space restriction. If so, perhaps the threaded filter can be cut down to fit. Unfortunately, I don't see amazon.com with the same set of 3 for sale, which is odd.

I'm still looking into oils and hoping to find a nearby Shell wholesaler who'll sell the Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 cheaper than the C$20.50/qt. it would cost me from amazon.ca. For my C8 Corvette, I found a local Mobil 1 wholesaler who offered the best price on a case of Mobil 1 "supercar" oil. I'd prefer the Amsoil Signature Series for the Emira, but so far it looks like I can only bring that up from the States, for what's no doubt a hefty delivery and border-crossing fee.

I invite other Canadian Emira owners to share their info on this thread.

Barcino2012

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
My personal thanks to Porter and others for all their good advice on this thread. Being from Canada I'll share this for other DIY Canadian Emira owners:

amazon.ca has the Motivx set of 2 (oil filter wrench mx2320 and drain tool mx2341) for C$221.10; BUT it also has the Motivx set of 3 (the same 2 tools, plus the threaded Toyota oil funnel mx2301) for C$159.49. So it makes no sense to purchase the set of 2, when you get them cheaper, plus you get an additional funnel included with that lesser price. The "jury is still out" when it comes to whether the funnel will work with the Emira, due to a possible space restriction. If so, perhaps the threaded filter can be cut down to fit. Unfortunately, I don't see amazon.com with the same set of 3 for sale, which is odd.

I'm still looking into oils and hoping to find a nearby Shell wholesaler who'll sell the Penzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-40 cheaper than the C$20.50/qt. it would cost me from amazon.ca. For my C8 Corvette, I found a local Mobil 1 wholesaler who offered the best price on a case of Mobil 1 "supercar" oil. I'd prefer the Amsoil Signature Series for the Emira, but so far it looks like I can only bring that up from the States, for what's no doubt a hefty delivery and border-crossing fee.

My go to oil for the Porsche 718 Spyder and both BMW SUV’s and soon Emira at 1,000 miles…..can’t beat the price, and meets most european spec A40 for porsche LL01 for Bmw, etc….

www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-FS-European-Car-Formula-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-0W-40-12-Quart/893400295

I removed my GPF on the Spyder, so now A40 is fine for me, C40 was introduced for GPF engines😄

I am sure you can get it Canada as well, this is $5.-/qt……..not that I like Walmart, but I think it can be trusted, over amazon for sure…..

Attachments

• IMG_1669.jpeg
    IMG_1669.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1668.jpeg
    IMG_1668.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner

Can you get the factory specified Total oil in Canada? It looks like a great product.

Barcino2012

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order

I do not think the funnel will work, you have max 4-6” above the filler cap, and you would have no straight pour access anyways, I am looking at these 2 options….

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H4ZHKN5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1R5RH6SRZN4Q4&psc=1

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MEPIU4M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1

Attachments

• IMG_1671.jpeg
    IMG_1671.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1672.jpeg
    IMG_1672.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 18

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Thanks Barcino2012. If this helps fellow Canadians, I found the Lisle right angle funnel for sale at C$13.83, which is better than the amazon.ca price of $23.34. It's available at MPR Tools:

Hopefully it works for the Emira, otherwise I've added yet another thing in my garage for my spouse to look at and question (lol).

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I finally got a chance to come back and comment on this... that seems CRAZY expensive for what this thing is. We're talking a standard Toyota oil filter housing tool. You can buy the official one from Toyota for less than the price you're talking there. Honestly they are all the same, the brand doesn't really matter. Look around your local car parts suppliers... same one that is used on every other V6 Toyota.

Porter

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Last edited:

netsinah

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Can you get the factory specified Total oil in Canada? It looks like a great product.
Hey Porter. Yes I can purchase the Total Quartz 9000 Energy 0W-40 in Canada: several places sell it but the closest for me is the Total/Shell oil distributor "Boss Lubricants" and I'm waiting to get a price from them for several cases of the Total and also the Penzoil Ultra Premium 0W-40.

I wonder if you'd be better off finding a Shell distributor in your area, for pricing on the Penzoil?

Guess I paid too much for the Motivx oil change tools. Oh well. At least I now know the LIsle funnel I bought will work with the Emira although I would have preferred the lid on it. I haven't found a place in Canada to purchase the "lid retro kit" but here's a few places in the States for anyone interested: