Emira Issues - from final production cars

Got my first engine light this morning, feels like I’m officially a Lotus owner. U0121, failure to communicate with ABS module.

Cleared it, didn’t come back again (yet?)

Weird thing is my brakes have not felt strong since I got the car. Hmm.

On a side note why don’t cars just have a place in the menu to read the code? Ridiculous we still have to plug in the OBD.

The error pops up from time to time.

ABS has no effect on brake strength - however if you feel something is off get it checked anyway. For the code thrown it’s unrelated.

Don’t clear the code, the module will cross check all sensor inputs for some kilometers and clear itself when no more discrepancies occur.

The ABS rings might be prone to error in rainy or dirty conditions.. had it 3 or 4 times in 23k kilometers. Dealer checked it too.

The error pops up from time to time.

ABS has no effect on brake strength - however if you feel something is off get it checked anyway. For the code thrown it’s unrelated.

Don’t clear the code, the module will cross check all sensor inputs for some kilometers and clear itself when no more discrepancies occur.

The ABS rings might be prone to error in rainy or dirty conditions.. had it 3 or 4 times in 23k kilometers. Dealer checked it too.

Ah see I thought I was clever clearing the code to see if it would come back, seems the car will clear itself if it wants.

Washed it yesterday, and caught a hint of rain, but have mostly avoided heavy water of either sort around the cowl because I don’t have the rain fix installed. Everywhere else though got pretty wet.

Service appointment on Wednesday.

When I first got mine and drove it, the brakes felt like an on/off switch. Just start to press the pedal and it was an instant hard stop. It's gotten better as they've worn in, and I've adjusted to them as well, but it's still easy to over-brake if I'm not paying attention when coming to a stop.

Sounds like yours may either have not enough fluid, or possibly weren't properly bled and have air in the lines. Definitely have the dealer look into it.

Ah see I thought I was clever clearing the code to see if it would come back
Often one way to approach Emira gremlins, if you’re confident there isn’t really a problem. Due to the nature of the ABS code I'd sit it out.

Also don’t clear codes that come back and let the dealer check it, they can read much more data using the Insight tool, plus some that’s not OBD standard at all

I received an email from my dealer stating that there are two recalls for my Emira. One is for a shield for the AC, and the other is for a software update for the AC module. I haven't noticed any AC issues with mine, but I'm glad they are being proactive and getting out in front of the issue.

Does anyone have a photo of the AC resistor cover? The TSB doesn’t really show what it looks like. I ask because mine was replaced before delivery. I asked the tech if he also installed the cover and he said it was already there. So either mine failed with the cover or I don’t have the cover. Help?

I received an email from my dealer stating that there are two recalls for my Emira. One is for a shield for the AC, and the other is for a software update for the AC module. I haven't noticed any AC issues with mine, but I'm glad they are being proactive and getting out in front of the issue.
I had the AC issue. Its basically with actuator getting stuck to legs side only (Not face)

They will install a shield to protect the actuator under the hood. This is what I understood from my dealer

Welp check engine light back on today, service appointment was already on the books so that’s convenient. Service says they need it for 3-4 days because at this stage every CEL involves the factory to understand what’s happening. That’s fine, though it means I’ll miss British car day at the local cars and coffee because my car is in the shop. What’s the opposite of irony?

Last edited:
Does anyone know where the CEM is located in the car?

A quick google search lands me on issues with Volvo CEMs - is that too much of a coincidental Geely link???

Cheers

S

My Emira is at Austin Lotus for the AC recall, so I had them check out what I thought was a minor brake pad fracture. They sent me a picture of the brake pad, which was in much worse condition than it showed on the brake rotor.

brake pad LF.jpg

IMG_0795.jpeg

Oof. How old is the car?
I've only had it for a few weeks. It showed up after my 100-mile drive home from the dealership. I have 500 miles on the car now.

I've only had it for a few weeks. It showed up after my 100-mile drive home from the dealership. I have 500 miles on the car now.
I see you're in the US. We had that problem with early cars that were supposedly parked for a long time outside. Looks like they're repeating mistakes for US cars.

I see you're in the US. We had that problem with early cars that were supposedly parked for a long time outside. Looks like they're repeating mistakes for US cars.
Unfortunately, it seems as though the trend has continued over here.

My current list of issues:

Bubbling on passenger door
Intermittent starting problem
CEL coming on randomly
Squeaky rear brakes

And now the new issue is overheating due to front fan not coming on. Now that we actually have some summery weather in the UK means that the engine doesn’t stay cool at 30mph. As a result it’s almost undrivable in SE England which is littered with cyclists on every country lane.

However, we drove it to Beaverbrook hotel for dinner yesterday and the concierge said “good evening sir. Since your car is so beautiful you can park it in front of the house”. Honestly, if it didn’t look so good and drive so well I would have said goodbye to it by now.

Last edited:
My current list of issues:

Bubbling on passenger door
Intermittent starting problem
CEL coming on randomly
Squeaky rear brakes

And now the new issue is overheating due to front fan not coming on. Now that we actually have some summery weather in the UK means that the engine doesn’t stay cool at 30mph. As a result it’s almost undrivable in SE England which is littered cyclists on every country lane.

However, we drove it to Beaverbrook hotel for dinner yesterday and the concierge said “good evening sir. Since your car is so beautiful you can park it in front of the house”. Honestly, if it didn’t look so good and drive so well I would have said goodbye to it by now.
Intermittent starting and CEL's might be battery related. See if the dealer will replace it with a new one.

The 3D map displays in 2D. It worked briefly the first time or two that I tried it, then it stopped and now it stays in 2D mode. Does anyone know how to reset the map or some other fix?