• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
I agree with @frazzer , I am hoping the Emira has the soul that is missing from the cars that @eriegz has mentioned as the most comparable to the Emira. I have owned a C8, 718 Spyder and 911 992. All are different. The C8 best bang for $, 911 most well rounded, almost too perfect, that can be daily driven with a classic styling. However it has lost it's soul and has become an outstanding GT. The 718 4.0's IMO is the best of the bunch, more sports car than GT. Certainly has the soul that Frazier was mentioning IMO.

My complaints and gripes with Lotus is mostly down to Comm's and my difference of opinion on marketing/CS, I digress.

I am keeping my Emira deposit until the car get's delivered and will drive it to find if it has that soul that is missing from so many of today's modern machines. I agree with the comment that many times the most celebrated cars aren't always the best of the generation. Emira certainly looks amazing and I think the old school mechanical feels that the journalists are pointing out may end up being it's most sought after attributes years from now. Flawed to a point of brilliance. The last Porsche I felt that in was a manual 911 997.2 generation. At the time it was not as highly regarded, but now sought after. It's not about the tech or track times to me personally. (although I still would like respectable track times...718 GTS comparably please ... lol) The feel we are looking for will be different for everyone, you just have to go with what works for you. I know what hasn't worked for me.

It has all the ingredients of being a special piece of automotive art. Reminds me a bit of the Alfa Romeo 8C... Clarkson did a great top gear episode on it, reminds me very much of how I feel about the Emira at the moment.
Amen. Soul searching.

The more I wait, the more I’m realizing it’s just not really great at anything except for looking like a smaller Ferrari.

It’s decent or good at a lot of things, but so are a lot of far cheaper cars.
You should probably get a go kart. It really sounds like you are looking for max track experience and it would definitely check your boxes. :unsure:

You should probably get a go kart. It really sounds like you are looking for max track experience and it would definitely check your boxes. :unsure:
And would save a ton of money. You could buy all the gear, a trailer and maybe even hire a support team .

Honestly it’s seeming less and less exciting than my m4, considerably slower in every aspect, less practical, and far less aftermarket support.

Are some looks really worth about $105K USD? The Emira is nearly the same dimensions and likely slower than the MKV Supra.

Anyways, feeling a bit bummed out and don’t want to turn this thread into a VS. thread. I’ll wait for a test drive.
Do you even want a 2-seater sports car? Haha

Do you even want a 2-seater sports car? Haha

That part is obviously yes based on what you’re quoting and my post history.

The part that’s unknown does the sum of all the parts of this car equal to something that I’ll find special? The only common thread from all the reviews is the looks.

Am I really going to spend $105K on some looks?

I clearly want a balance, if I wanted a track only car I’d have kept my S2000.

Also what’s the point of owning a sports car you can’t track a bunch of weekends a year? To sit in traffic in it? Park it at work?

The part that’s unknown does the sum of all the parts of this car equal to something that I’ll find special? The only common thread from all the reviews is the looks.

Spend it on the new M2. I'm sure it beats the Emira and Evora on all your criteria.

I think you are the wrong kind of Lotus buyer to be honest.

Well, the reason I ask is that I don't understand how someone could want either a 2-seater sports car OR a 4/5-seater coupe. Those don't seem interchangeable at all to me. One of them is the "responsible, grown-up" choice while the other is just a silly toy that one buys to have fun with. I'm just curious what your priorities are.

Well, the reason I ask is that I don't understand how someone could want either a 2-seater sports car OR a 4/5-seater coupe. Those don't seem interchangeable at all to me. One of them is the "responsible, grown-up" choice while the other is just a silly toy that one buys to have fun with. I'm just curious what your priorities are.
I’ve never once used the rear seats in the M4, they’re always just folded down. It’s a huge car imho, but it does decently trackside.

Spend it on the new M2. I'm sure it beats the Emira and Evora on all your criteria.

I think you are the wrong kind of Lotus buyer to be honest.

What is the right kind of Lotus buyer? Hopefully not one that makes excuses for their lack of progress and development?

I’ve never once used the rear seats in the M4, they’re always just folded down. It’s a huge car imho, but it does decently trackside.
I personally don't think any M2/3/4 is a comparison for the Emira. Faster and more practical sure, but in 20-30 years from now, the slower, less practical Emira will be regarded higher. Mostly because of the way it looks and that it is rarer. Electric cars will be blowing away any of the numbers for speed/track times and usability. What we will look back at fondly will be cars that evoke emotion, not the arguably the better car. In this specific case, yes the looks alone wins. IMHO

So you want something that performs well at the track, but you don't want a track-only car, and aesthetics don't seem all that important to you...

Maybe just buy a Tesla then? 😂

I'm mostly joking, but seriously, it sounds like any luxury coupe with huge turbo'd performance numbers sounds more up your alley. And of those, you have your pick.

So you want something that performs well at the track, but you don't want a track-only car, and aesthetics don't seem all that important to you...

Maybe just buy a Tesla then? 😂

I'm mostly joking, but seriously, it sounds like any luxury coupe with huge turbo'd performance numbers sounds more up your alley. And of those, you have your pick.
I have a Tesla for a daily, terrible sports car :).

It doesn’t need to be a luxury coupe with a big turbo, I’m not sure where you’re getting this.

Edit: Is it because I already have an M4? I’m selling it for whatever is next.

I have a Tesla for a daily, terrible sports car :).

It doesn’t need to be a luxury coupe with a big turbo, I’m not sure where you’re getting this.

Edit: Is it because I already have an M4? I’m selling it for whatever is next.
I was just trying to picture what kind of car would be best suited for you, based on the things you've said. And yes, one reason for saying performance coupe with turbo'd-up power was because you already own an M4. So, what's making you look for something new at this time? I.e.: getting bored of the M4? Want the next level of power? Etc.

What is the right kind of Lotus buyer? Hopefully not one that makes excuses for their lack of progress and development?
Someone that understands the concept of trade off and compromise because you are buying something that generally is beyond the sum of the parts and makes your heart tick.

Some buy fixed gear bikes (can't go up hill and some don't even have breaks), some buy vinyl. From what you state in your posts, you want the latest and greatest. That is not Lotus.

I'm conflicted on this and suffer from an exaggerated philosophical bent as midnight approaches.

Some experiences are special yet the components are not, that specialness builds with acquaintance which takes time, it's not immediately apparent, it's below the surface. This has little to do with perfection, often more to do with imperfection. We all experience this in some way or another, cars or otherwise.

Is the Emira going to be special? I have no idea and frankly I doubt a test drive will make a difference. Those sudden encounters rarely reveal the soul of a thing how it'll grow on you and the connection that can be had with it.

I can't read it - Lotus has always made great driving experiences, so do they secretly know something that can only be known with time? or have they designed the Emira by committee to maximise it's success rather than brilliance? Has the underdog lost it's way now it has a break at the big times, backed by that juicy $100m? Just questions here, I don't have any answers.

So many of those highly sought after great cars of the past were not considered so great in their day. And so many considered great in their day and viewed differently now....is the Emira one of these, or just a pretty face?

All I know is cars driven by fire and fuel from the bowels of the earth made up of millions of dead creatures from a pre-historic age, that roar when you summon them to respond to your alert mind through the subtlety your moving hands and feet, those aren't going to be around so long. So my order's still in, but my confidence is out and I'm ok with that.
I'm currently taking a course in philosophy at Edinburgh University which makes you question absolutely everything you ever thought you knew, so I like your philosophical take on all this :)

Yeah, you're kinda right. Lotus is a quirky brand for quirky people. The Emira will be a fun car for sure and ticks all the boxes for me, but it's not the logical purchase. It would just be nice if it was the best at something.

Not to bring up the new Vette again, but I'm currently watching the latest Throttle House review and they're both so excited about it. Everything is so awesome and outstanding and there are basically no complaints... Meanwhile the Emira reviews are all pretty mellow. 😔

Shows what a great drivetrain does for a car

Someone that understands the concept of trade off and compromise because you are buying something that generally is beyond the sum of the parts and makes your heart tick.

Some buy fixed gear bikes (can't go up hill and some don't even have breaks), some buy vinyl. From what you state in your posts, you want the latest and greatest. That is not Lotus.
There’s a trade-off and compromise for pretty much every consumer good so that doesn’t really say much.

Before reviews it was new Lotus: £100m investment, brand new state of the art factory with quality control and tolerances, a ‘brand new’ car? Now that’s changed to expecting the latest and greatest is not Lotus…?

What you need to remember is one of the key ideas behind the Emira was to attract new customers to Lotus. To turn around and call these same new customers “non-Lotus” is a bit disingenuous…

I agree with @frazzer , I am hoping the Emira has the soul that is missing from the cars that @eriegz has mentioned as the most comparable to the Emira. I have owned a C8, 718 Spyder and 911 992. All are different. The C8 best bang for $, 911 most well rounded, almost too perfect, that can be daily driven with a classic styling. However it has lost it's soul and has become an outstanding GT. The 718 4.0's IMO is the best of the bunch, more sports car than GT. Certainly has the soul that Frazier was mentioning IMO.

My complaints and gripes with Lotus is mostly down to Comm's and my difference of opinion on marketing/CS, I digress.

I am keeping my Emira deposit until the car get's delivered and will drive it to find if it has that soul that is missing from so many of today's modern machines. I agree with the comment that many times the most celebrated cars aren't always the best of the generation. Emira certainly looks amazing and I think the old school mechanical feels that the journalists are pointing out may end up being it's most sought after attributes years from now. Flawed to a point of brilliance. The last Porsche I felt that in was a manual 911 997.2 generation. At the time it was not as highly regarded, but now sought after. It's not about the tech or track times to me personally. (although I still would like respectable track times...718 GTS comparably please ... lol) The feel we are looking for will be different for everyone, you just have to go with what works for you. I know what hasn't worked for me.

It has all the ingredients of being a special piece of automotive art. Reminds me a bit of the Alfa Romeo 8C... Clarkson did a great top gear episode on it, reminds me very much of how I feel about the Emira at the moment.
TOTALLY agree with this. But I think the issue Lotus have is that you can get this same experience in cars costing far far less than £80k.
I get that same experience in my Corrado VR6 and you could choose all manner of vehicles (a lot considerably rarer than the Emira) for under £20k