• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Emira Review Index [V6 FE]

Featured
For those looking for the latest Emira V6 FE reviews scheduled to be released today, I've self-volunteered to maintain a quick reference index here.
Please let me know of any missing articles and I'll update accordingly. (y)

ReviewerTypeDirect Link
EdmundsArticle
Harry's Garage (Harry Metcalfe)Video Review

Harry drives the Sports and Tour suspension back to back on the same road and shares his thoughts.
Schmee150 (Tim Burton)Video ReviewPublished 21st June
Carwow (Mat Watson)Video Review
TopGearArticles and VideoPublished 3rd July
Chris Harris talks about the Lotus Emira

Published 20th June

AutoTrader (Rory Reid)Video Review
EvoArticle and Video Review
CARArticle and Video ReviewPublished 22nd July

Lotus Emira vs Cayman 718 GTS vs Alpine 110s
AutocarArticle and Video Review
PistonheadsArticle
KHTVVideo Review
The DriveArticle
AutoExpressArticle
Pictures:
WhichCarArticle
CarBuyerArticle
HagertyArticle
Road and TrackArticlePublished 1st September
Lotus Emira Road and Track Drive

GoodwoodArticle
The IntercoolerPodcastReasonably good post-embargo Emira discussion on The Intercooler.
MotortrendArticle
DriveArticle
AFRArticle
ParkersArticle
CarExpertArticle
Caffeine & MachineArticle
Photos on Instagram:
The Sunday Times DrivingArticle
Car and DriverArticle
The SunArticle
AutoCar UKArticlePublished 2nd July

Last edited:
Quite frankly, if a reviewers prerequisite is to explore forums, biases and mechanical history PRIOR to doing a review, the review in and of itself is tainted. They are unable to portray their reactions, positives and negatives that they find with a car, because they are now looking for those little niggles that forum members may have found. And they may never find them!! To wish to glean an “unbiased review” from Consumer Reports is an act of futility! They‘re extremely biased and incentivize their reviewers with post-review purchase abilities - speaking from experience. As people view their preferred outlets for reviewers and automotive digests, they establish an expectation of review style. It is these which we weight accordingly, as to who aligns most closely with our findings.

Keep in mind as well, that these are new cars, with all their warts and growing pains, that need to work themselves out. It’s essentially been a two year R&D project which is now coming to fruition. They’ll get there, while retaining the charm that you all are accustomed to! As for me, this will be my first venture in the world of Lotus, and I can only hope for the best!

I think people are just sick and tired of the disingenuity of the review format. Many of these videos reviews have presenters that act like they are playing to a broadcast television camera, when in reality they are posting a video on the internet. The content should be as frank as any Reddit post, but it isn't, it's sanitized and excessively careful and polite.

The thing that I suspect many people would like to see, myself included, is for a respected reviewer to look directly into the camera and say out loud that Lotus is delivering cars to owners that should never have left the factory. Look in the camera and say that from reports from the ownership community, Lotus are utterly dropping the ball in dozens of different ways, from product quality to service response to communication, and that someone in leadership needs to get their act together and take management responsibility. Preferably in a way that places the customer as the most important stakeholder.

In the absence of some real, direct talk into a camera about what the challenges are with this company, all these reviews are different forms of fluff that aren't particularly relevant to the ownership experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not canceling my order, but at the same time I have basically no expectation that Lotus will be able to competently service or repair the car if and when I do have a problem, and so I'm fully planning to take on that responsibility myself. Think about how absurd it is that I would even need to think about that in the year 2023.
Completely disagree. You are asking for a journalistic expose regarding the actions of a car maker based on unsubstantiated posts from anonymous forums users. You would need a news organization who understands how to verify facts. I always thought the reviews were reporting on the car and it's attributes. You speak of "direct talk into a camera about what the challenges are with this company" and I am not sure a youtube reviewer should get into that. Quite frankly I would believe you more than any reviewer, your posts have been consistent, accurate, and unbiased. I believe the reviewers are doing their job and I believe the forum is doing it's job. I have always had the unpopular opinion on this.

I think people are just sick and tired of the disingenuity of the review format. Many of these videos reviews have presenters that act like they are playing to a broadcast television camera, when in reality they are posting a video on the internet. The content should be as frank as any Reddit post, but it isn't, it's sanitized and excessively careful and polite.

The thing that I suspect many people would like to see, myself included, is for a respected reviewer to look directly into the camera and say out loud that Lotus is delivering cars to owners that should never have left the factory. Look in the camera and say that from reports from the ownership community, Lotus are utterly dropping the ball in dozens of different ways, from product quality to service response to communication, and that someone in leadership needs to get their act together and take management responsibility. Preferably in a way that places the customer as the most important stakeholder.

In the absence of some real, direct talk into a camera about what the challenges are with this company, all these reviews are different forms of fluff that aren't particularly relevant to the ownership experience.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not canceling my order, but at the same time I have basically no expectation that Lotus will be able to competently service or repair the car if and when I do have a problem, and so I'm fully planning to take on that responsibility myself. Think about how absurd it is that I would even need to think about that in the year 2023.
I always have a great deal of respect for your opinion and input because you've proven yourself respectable in here. However in this instance, I'm going to somewhat disagree because what you're advocating here isn't a car review, it's a company review. That's certainly a valid topic, but a different thing from reviewing a car.

Having been part of the rollout of the first Alfa Romeo Giulias in the U.S. (still have mine, it's a great car) I can say that while the car is fantastic, FCA at the time sucked (they've been acquired by Stellantis). There were many issues with the early cars, software updates etc. just like here with Lotus. I got lucky; my car has been an absolute jewel. No problems. Just yesterday, I finally had to replace the battery after 6 years (original factory battery) which is EXTREMELY unusual for Alfas, especially the early ones. That's not something I posted in the Alfa forums because who cares? There were a lot of posts from people about the issues they were having, many were with FCA who owned Alfa, as well as Alfa themselves. They delivered cars that should never have left the factory, but they also delivered mine which is a wonderful car.

It may be worthwhile to have a separate forum category for company reviews and/or dealer reviews, as opposed to car reviews which are always going to be about that specific car the reviewer has and is driving.

Like you, I am also going to receive my car with the expectation that, as it always has with any sports car I've ever owned, it will be on me to make it work and keep on working. Unless I get a jewel car like my Alfa, I expect I might be working on it from time to time. I'll buy the manual, and look through it and the car to familiarize myself with things. It's a Lotus, and I've had a Lotus before, but the moment I saw it I had that unmistakeable instinct feeling that this one was going to be worth the experience. I called the closest dealer (500 miles away) and put down a deposit immediately. I had that same instinct feeling when I first drove the Alfa, and it turned out that the car I drove at the dealership was the one I actually bought. My gut instinct has never let me down. The only time it's been a problem was when I didn't listen to it, and I always regretted it afterwards. I've never regretted listening to it. Can't wait to get my car.

If this was a forum about Sunbeam toasters, half the posts would be complaints about how slow/dark/light/noisy it was (no offence to Sunbeam toasters, even though they suck).

Reviewers shouldn’t concentrate on faults, or no one would ever buy a car (take the McLaren engine fire as an example). And fortunately, most car faults car be fixed!

Ho raggiunto oggi i 1300 km e sto finendo il rodaggio quindi ho iniziato a superare i 4000 giri raccomandati e mi sono spinto fino a 6000 :), come già detto altre volte la mia v6 fe ha un handling pazzesco e mi fanno le foto per strada. Consuma il giusto e se proprio dovessi trovargli dei difetti direi il cambio automatico che non è come un pdk ma basta farci l'abitudine e la ripresa che a mio avviso fino a 4000 giri è un po' fiacca rispetto a porsche aspirato di pari cubatura.

Google Translation:

I reached 1300 km today and I'm finishing the run-in so I started to exceed the recommended 4000 laps and I pushed myself up to 6000 :), as already mentioned other times my v6 fe has a crazy handling and they take pictures of me on the road. It consumes the right and if I really had to find faults I would say the automatic transmission that is not like a pdk but just get used to it and the recovery that in my opinion up to 4000 rpm is a bit weak compared to porsche aspirated of equal volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn’t see where this review was already posted. It seems like a nice down to earth review where, in a short section of it, the presenter goes over some of the interior shared parts with Proton/Geely without getting wigged out.

He doesn’t mention the door pulls but I think I saw those in a Geely model a while back although Lotus may have flipped them upside down. (Ie swapped left for right)

Completely disagree. You are asking for a journalistic expose regarding the actions of a car maker based on unsubstantiated posts from anonymous forums users. You would need a news organization who understands how to verify facts. I always thought the reviews were reporting on the car and it's attributes. You speak of "direct talk into a camera about what the challenges are with this company" and I am not sure a youtube reviewer should get into that. Quite frankly I would believe you more than any reviewer, your posts have been consistent, accurate, and unbiased. I believe the reviewers are doing their job and I believe the forum is doing it's job. I have always had the unpopular opinion on this.
I think what I'm driving at is that the missing link right now in automotive reviewing is the frankness - and direct dressing down of companies when necessary - that was done by the original trio at Top Gear during drive reviews.

I think as a buying public, we really need people with enough industry clout (and also a-hole tendencies) to be able to look into a camera and say, "this product is brilliant and so are the people who build it, but the company is rubbish."

If anybody cares about autotopnl, i like the raw reviews of this guy..

Disappointing topspeed tho… too ages fo reach 279/280… 290 maybe downhill otherwise forget it

If anybody cares about autotopnl, i like the raw reviews of this guy..

Disappointing topspeed tho… too ages fo reach 279/280… 290 maybe downhill otherwise forget it

He doesn’t hang about and top speed looked pretty quick to me.

Seems like 6th is geared a bit too long geared for the motor’s power level. I’m sure a slightly higher redline, a bit more power and slightly reduced final drive would do the trick. That or more power to pull the existing gearing which would get you to over 300km/h if you could pull max revs in 6th :p :cool:

i dont understand why anyone would care about top speed. I often get asked that by non-car people and I usually dont even have that the number memorized. other than the ones near the autobahn none of us can actually reach it

i dont understand why anyone would care about top speed. I often get asked that by non-car people and I usually dont even have that the number memorized. other than the ones near the autobahn none of us can actually reach it
There are some tracks near me in the USA that have long straights that allow for top speed tests.

There are some tracks near me in the USA that have long straights that allow for top speed tests.
Not like that. It's not even particularly relevant on most long road courses. On almost any car the top speed is aerodynamically limited, so after the main acceleration period you approach the top speed number very slowly. Maybe on a big oval top speed would be relevant? But who wants to run on that?

I find it interesting that automotive journalism hasn't come up with a metric for this. Absolute top speed is sort of irrelevant, what people generally want to know is how high it goes while still accelerating quickly. Something like the 3dB down point on a subwoofer or pair of speakers, i.e. how low can it go while still giving meaningful "full" performance. We don't have a metric like that for cars that I know of.

Not like that. It's not even particularly relevant on most long road courses. On almost any car the top speed is aerodynamically limited, so after the main acceleration period you approach the top speed number very slowly. Maybe on a big oval top speed would be relevant? But who wants to run on that?

I find it interesting that automotive journalism hasn't come up with a metric for this. Absolute top speed is sort of irrelevant, what people generally want to know is how high it goes while still accelerating quickly. Something like the 3dB down point on a subwoofer or pair of speakers, i.e. how low can it go while still giving meaningful "full" performance. We don't have a metric like that for cars that I know of.
I totally agree. I've always wished for a 50-100mph, or similar, measurement that is meaningful for real world use.

I do understand this but there are tracks where people will compare their top speed. The original comment mentioned the autobahn and why people care about top speed. There are tracks where people will remember the highest speed they can achieve, it may not be the top speed. Lots of different car enthusiasts experiencing and enjoying cars in different ways.

I do understand this but there are tracks where people will compare their top speed. The original comment mentioned the autobahn and why people care about top speed. There are tracks where people will remember the highest speed they can achieve, it may not be the top speed. Lots of different car enthusiasts experiencing and enjoying cars in different ways.
Oh I totally agree. Things like "It was fast, I hit 148 on the back straight at Road Atlanta". But that's not really relevant to the published top speed of a car. It's a great metric for accelerative potential in a certain specific context though, and really informs people who know exactly what it means. The challenge I think is that we lack a common metric for that as a thing people can understand in contexts other than a particular racetrack... an anecdotal understanding of which is only shared by a vanishingly small percentage of the interested, buying public.