• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Engine Stalled Right After Iginition?

allenyao09

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has seen this problem of engine stalling right after the ignition in reverse.
  • I left the car in reverse and the parking brake released while parking the car.
  • I got in the car, feet on clutch and brake, pressed the start button.
  • The car started, I shifted into neutral and clutch out. Then the engine stalled.
  • Clutch in and pressed start button again, the car starts up just fine.
This has happened to me for 2 times. Don't think it's a big deal but still kind of weird. Does this have something to do shifting from reverse to neutral? I think leaving the car in reverse for a couple more seconds might help, but haven't had the chance to experiment this yet.

Last edited:
Hey folks, just wondering if anyone has seen this problem of engine stalling right after the ignition.
  • I left the car in reverse and the parking brake released while parking the car.
  • I got in the car, feet on clutch and brake, pressed the start button.
  • The car started, I shifted into neutral and clutch out. Then the engine stalled.
  • Clutch in and pressed start button again, the car starts up just fine.
This has happened to me for 2 times. Don't think it's a big deal but still kind of weird. Does this have something to do shifting from reverse to neutral? I think leaving the car in reverse for a couple more seconds might help, but haven't had the chance to experiment this yet.
Check tread “ cold start stall”

Doesn't feel like the same. I haven't experienced cold start stall if I start in neutral.
too easy to confuse correlation with causation. might be coincidence that you were in Rev. try the next 10 starts in Rev and see if it happens again.

this happened to my car for a while when I got it. Got less and less over time. Thought it was probably a software upgrade issue which would be resolved when I get my first service some 8 months later(seems like the USA first service is at 1000kms…it’s 10k or 12 months here in Aus). Anyway, it resolve itself. Didn’t worry me too much so long as it didn’t result in the car not starting at all and being stranded in some busy Main Street location.