• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Fitting a battery conditioner... Do's and Don'ts

On the car battery, are you disconnecting the nut(s) with a standard plastic wrench? When the nut nears the pointing of being totally unscrewed, can you finish unscrewing with your fingers?

Super basic, I know, but I don’t want to electrocute myself. 😆

On the car battery, are you disconnecting the nut(s) with a standard plastic wrench? When the nut nears the pointing of being totally unscrewed, can you finish unscrewing with your fingers?

Should alleviate your concerns

Sorry for some idiotic questions, but I really have no idea about car electrics. Some advice is much appreciated here...

I would like to permanently install the eyelets end of my CTEK charger cable to the battery. If I remove the cables going to the battery, would I lose all setting in the car, like the connection to my phone? I can live with that but just want to know if disconnecting the cables from the terminals causes any other issues.

Negative terminal first, right?

Sorry for some idiotic questions, but I really have no idea about car electrics. Some advice is much appreciated here...

I would like to permanently install the eyelets end of my CTEK charger cable to the battery. If I remove the cables going to the battery, would I lose all setting in the car, like the connection to my phone? I can live with that but just want to know if disconnecting the cables from the terminals causes any other issues.

Negative terminal first, right?
You don't need to remove the cables to fit the CTEK charger cable. Just undo each nut and connect the correct CTEK terminal one at a time, that's the way I did it. There are a few ways to route the cables, the positive (red) is the one that needs to be done carefully so that the plastic cover does not foul it. After that routing the cable into the boot bypassing the battery cover. I found having the cable coming out in the corner at the top the best.
IMG_20240617_162239.jpg

Thanks everyone for the tips, worked like a charm. Plastic cover came off no problem, only had to drill open the diameter of the eyelets a little. Fixed them under the rear nuts, routed the positive cable out through one of the holes of the plastic cover and out of the top of the main cover.

Noticed that the negative battery terminal was almost coming off, so good for checking there.

Alex

If you think that is basic, I couldn't even get the plastic casing around battery off to access the nut to even start on the screws.

Didn't want to break it .
Any ideas welcome .

If you think that is basic, I couldn't even get the plastic casing around battery off to access the nut to even start on the screws.

Didn't want to break it .
Any ideas welcome .
There are two latches on the front of the plastic casing that hold it into place. Once these are loosened (no tools required), the whole unit just pops off pretty easily in one piece.

I installed the NOCO adapter at the weekend. Getting the cover off the Red terminal the most annoying aspect of it all and then trying to work out how to feed the cable out through the cover.
In the end was pretty simple, but took a good 10mins to work it out
The main cover that hides the entire battery doesnt fit too well afterwards, but its good enough

In case it helps anyone, here's a screen shot of page 250 from the Emira Owner's Handbook, indicating how to temporarily hook up a battery tender, rather than fitting "permanent connections" which looks to be the focus of this thread so far.
IMG_1417.jpg