• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Formal complaint regarding wiper issue being filed

Will give this try. I’m going to clay the windscreen to remove any contaminants, then rain X.
Yes, good idea. It is also worth cleaning the edge of the wiper blades too, just to make sure there isn't anything on them.

The wipers in my Emira glide over the windscreen very smoothly. Actually the best amongst all cars I owned so far!
It's funny how cars vary so much, but there is nothing more irritating than wipers skipping/dragging across a windscreen.

I took a quick video in the dry (so unfortunately not able to show the problematic behavior once the interval mode had been activated before).

This is what first and second speed of non-interval wiper speed should look like. In my opinion the speed difference here is very obvious.

If you had auto / interval wiping before you will not be able to switch to these modes anymore unless you stop the car and go back to step zero. At least on the cars that are affected by the issue. The only speed you will get is the one from the interval setting. No matter in which setting you put the switch, it won't get up to these speeds.

I took a quick video in the dry (so unfortunately not able to show the problematic behavior once the interval mode had been activated before).
Can someone hold a hose and shower the front of the car while you record the video?

Ok. So it rained today and I have been out wiper testing. Straight out the garage mine does what the one in the video does. Normal and fast work fine. If I go for a drive with it in intermittent for a while and then switch it up to normal all is ok, but if I then switch it to fast it stays in normal. If I stop and cycle the ignition, I get fast speed back again. So my earlier comment that mine were working fine turns out not to be as correct as I thought.

Wipers intel from factory pick up yesterday;

Scott fronted this up. Credit to him for doing that.

I asked if they new what the issue was and when it would be fixed. Scott said it was something between the rain sensor on the screen and the software/controller for the Bosch wiper motor.

Scott believed that the fix would likely involve a hardware and software change via a recall. Strong implication it won’t be fixed just by a software update. Hopefully the issue is wiper motor and the sensor doesn’t also need to be replaced !

The problem he described (as well trailed on the forum) is that if the wipers have been in Auto for a while and it starts to rain heavier, they won’t change to high speed even if you move the lever manually ti high speed.

He explained the problem could be managed by not putting the wipers into Auto. Leave them off, use the flick down or put them manually straight into low speed.

On my drive home it started to rain then quickly became hard rain then torrential. I did as suggested and never went into Auto. Started off. Then flicked down. Then straight up (through Auto) into low speed.

But then when I flicked the lever up to go to high speed when it started raining really hard the wiper speed didn’t increase.

Shortly after that the wipers actually slowed down from normal first speed - they seemed to stop for a split second in the parked position before starting the upwards sweep again. They didn’t do that before and so the effect was always wiper speed.

As I couldn’t see properly at 70 mph on the motorway I slowed to circa 40-50 mph to be able to see. That was scary as trucks barreling up behind and 60-65 mph.

It’s been said before but Lotus really need to fix this asap. It’s dangerous !

Last edited:
He explained the problem could be managed by not putting the wipers into Auto. Leave them off, use the flick down or put them manually straight into low speed.
Sad they still don't know what's up. NOTHING works besides immediately putting it into high after starting. I used the flick down only in light rain, hoping high would work if rain comes pouring. Nope. Low mode and high later? Starting in high, go to low or off, high later? Nope. I'm 7k km in, good part on the Autobahn. It's stupid.

If they can, they need to come up with a temporary software disable of the sensor system. Just go to direct control by the steering wheel stalk so people can use the wipers properly until they come up with the fix for the sensor system.

If they can, they need to come up with a temporary software disable of the sensor system. Just go to direct control by the steering wheel stalk so people can use the wipers properly until they come up with the fix for the sensor system.
That is a very sensible idea. I am going to email them to that effect ! They really need to sort something.

Sad they still don't know what's up. NOTHING works besides immediately putting it into high after starting. I used the flick down only in light rain, hoping high would work if rain comes pouring. Nope. Low mode and high later? Starting in high, go to low or off, high later? Nope. I'm 7k km in, good part on the Autobahn. It's stupid.

On another note, if you get into a accident due to this, I would sue lotus for it, then stepping up to Ferrari/Mclaren brand.

On another note, if you get into an accident due to this, I would sue lotus for it, then stepping up to Ferrari/Mclaren brand.
Wait you think that’s a step up? In what because it won’t be reliability.

Wait you think that’s a step up? In what because it won’t be reliability.

Yes its a logical step up and even Lotus has acknowledged that in their briefings.

As far as reliability, I do believe Ferrari and Mclaren initial reliability is fine, its with time things start to break, and maybe due to the fact that its expensive fixes people may think they are not reliable. I am not arguing the fact they are not reliable, but if it was a issue that plagued your safety it would be fixed promptly.

Update - got an answer, but not the one I would've loved to get. It's half a win I guess.

I requested all information available to the case opened (under the "Informationsfreiheitsgesetz", similiar to the "freedom of information act"), which was kind of rejected. It would have included "trade and business secrets" of Lotus, which they would've had to sign off first. We all know this wouldn't have happened and the KBA also would have charged 500€+ for the expenses.

I've modified my request to share the investigation results, as far as possible without involving Lotus in the matter.

On the plus side, however, we know that at least something happened regarding the case. If they have "trade and business secrets" on file they probably looked into it.

I'm eager to learn how they handled it.
Stay tuned!

Ok. So it rained today and I have been out wiper testing. Straight out the garage mine does what the one in the video does. Normal and fast work fine. If I go for a drive with it in intermittent for a while and then switch it up to normal all is ok, but if I then switch it to fast it stays in normal. If I stop and cycle the ignition, I get fast speed back again. So my earlier comment that mine were working fine turns out not to be as correct as I thought.
Well, that 'clears' that up.
Thanks.