Full Electric Shutdown

AlSalas131

Reaction score
Just drove the car home last night and when stopping the whole electric system shutdown, dark, nothing working. Has anyone heard of this issue? Nothing has power.

Either a total battery failure, or one of the battery terminal connectors came loose.

Either a total battery failure, or one of the battery terminal connectors came loose.
Checked the battery and is fine. The car was driving fine and when I stopped everything went dark, full electrical failure just like if the battery was not even connected. No idea how is that even possible. Just like unplugging a cord from the outlet. No warning or issues whatsoever prior to shutting off.

Checked the battery and is fine. The car was driving fine and when I stopped everything went dark, full electrical failure just like if the battery was not even connected. No idea how is that even possible. Just like unplugging a cord from the outlet. No warning or issues whatsoever prior to shutting off.
Fuses? Battery fuse box is right on the front of the battery.

My car is currently at the dealer getting a similar issue resolved as I’m typing.

Briefly (there’s a long, long saga I will probably write up someday for the forum), I was driving my car on a Sunday afternoon when everything except the engine went “dead”. Instrument display, ICE display, door locks, window control, turn signal, HVAC, etc. Everything. Car was still running perfectly. I drove home, pushed the start/stop button to kill the engine, nothing. I had to pull the fuel pump fuse to kill the engine.

The car got towed >100 miles to the dealer, and has been there for a little more than a week.

The service manager said it looked like the wiring harness at the front fuse panel (in the nose of the car) had been jammed up in a way that it came into contact with a metal edge, which may have kinked wires and made them make contact and cause an electrical short. The blown fuses were replaced and the car started, but he is digging into the harness to make sure everything is ok, and will replace the entire fuse panel once the part arrives from Lotus.

Screenshot 2024-10-12 at 9.56.00 AM.png

The upside is that the service manager at Lotus of Dallas, Gio Ortiz, had been great and is being very thorough with what’s going on with my car.

Also, Myrna, customer service from Lotus USA, was an absolute rockstar helping me set up the tow to the dealership. If anyone from Lotus USA reads these posts, she needs to be promoted to director of customer service for North America!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back