• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Goodyear or Michelin durability ???

I think when you want to drive it all year long get some decent winter tyres, like Michelin Alpin 4 or 5 in this cold period of year. It just needs one incident in the end tbh.

I'm running the Michelin Alpins in the winter and they're fantastic tires.

1000015435.jpg

We get very mixed winter weather in the UK, can range from well below zero C up into the teens (as it is today), but also generally raining and wet. Can make choosing the correct tyres to run through winter somewhat difficult (pure winter tyres are only really appropriate for short periods, although moreso in Scotland). One thing I do know is that I would never run UHP summer tyres (Cup2 or similar) through the winter months though - keep them for dry summer months and dry track days!

I’ve had my Emira for a few months now; 2500 miles, and my experience with the Good Year Eagle F1 SuperSport tires has me wanting a different option for the TriState/NorthEast region. The tires are great at ambient temperatures 70 Fahrenheit and above. However below 68 degrees the tires struggle to maintain grip. I would call them dangerous below 68 and any driving condition that is not a straight line I wouldn’t recommend.

I will be looking for a better solution.

I’ve had my Emira for a few months now; 2500 miles, and my experience with the Good Year Eagle F1 SuperSport tires has me wanting a different option for the TriState/NorthEast region. The tires are great at ambient temperatures 70 Fahrenheit and above. However below 68 degrees the tires struggle to maintain grip. I would call them dangerous below 68 and any driving condition that is not a straight line I wouldn’t recommend.

Michelin PS4S or Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02s.. or Firehawks Indy 500s if you wanna save a few bucks. All 3 come in OEM Emira sizes.

I went with the Conti ECS02s for my GT.

From my Exige 410 experience I think it’s safe to say that neither the cups nor the good years will last the mileages stated above. If the car is used properly (no track use, but fast driving style), I would say it’s 10kkm for the cup2. Maybe you could use them longer than that, but performance and handling will definitely suffer. Driving such a high performing car with tyres that limit the overall performance level of chassis/engine/suspension etc. just doesn’t make sense for me.
That’s about right. 10ks is about the limit. You not feel it, but after that amount of mileage the performance when u need it the most(usually in emergency) will let u down. The tyres are your only real protection of your expensive asset.

Get out of town! I know the Goodyears are not pilot 4s tires but are they really that bad on track? What temp were you running at and were you pushing 10/10?? This is the first time I’ve heard of this as this is a summer tire and they recommend not running them below 40 degrees Fahrenheit like all other summer tires

Get out of town! I know the Goodyears are not pilot 4s tires but are they really that bad on track? What temp were you running at and were you pushing 10/10?? This is the first time I’ve heard of this as this is a summer tire and they recommend not running them below 40 degrees Fahrenheit like all other summer tires
This was on the street “spiritedly driving” I’d say 7/10. The day started warm in upper 70s. The evening it dropped to around 65-68 degrees. After over an hour of driving I dropped my partner off at home and then started driving home spiritedly and giving it throttle and pushing around turns became very sketchy. It was drifting not gripping. I’d let off let it get traction widen the angle and again spinning tire. In a straight away in 3rd not drag racing just accelerating spinning and had to let off.

This was on the street “spiritedly driving” I’d say 7/10. The day started warm in upper 70s. The evening it dropped to around 65-68 degrees. After over an hour of driving I dropped my partner off at home and then started driving home spiritedly and giving it throttle and pushing around turns became very sketchy. It was drifting not gripping. I’d let off let it get traction widen the angle and again spinning tire. In a straight away in 3rd not drag racing just accelerating spinning and had to let off.
What tire pressure are you running hot? seems unusual to me

I’ve been pretty happy with my F1s. Lots of street driving and two HPDEs and they have tons of tread left. 7,000 miles so far.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back