Harry sells his Emira

Agree. It's easy to forget that, despite the terrible launch, Emira has been a massive success for Lotus. In their wildest, wildest, dreams they never expected to take 10,000 deposits for the car. It will almost certainly be the best selling model in the history of the brand (Elise sold 35,000).
Would be interesting to know how many Emiras were already built in total.

Would be interesting to know how many Emiras were already built in total.
We know roughly - Based on Lotus tech financials.

Someone may want to double check but I believe we are around 8K - 9K Emira's built since 2022 production start.

This whole thread is very interesting. It Got me thinking: Is there a safe car company? Most of us already purchased and love our Emiras. Many EV companies are burning way too much cash. The big US automakers are stepping back from EVs a little, but not totally, and their hybrid plans are ambiguous. Being risk-averse is understandable. It's just not a lot of fun when I buy a luxury good. I expect to lose money.

I do take issue with the "Super Car" trope. In most cases, I have seen It's the driver not the car. My original Evora dealer said it best (it was a Lamborghini dealer) Lotus is the most fun car to drive in California because your can get to 3rd gear with out going to jail. I have seen more wrecked C7 and C8's in my small town than I have seen any lotus in person.

It's a personal choice for me. It comes down to the simplest of things: 3 pedals.
I agree. If I didn't have the Emira, I wouldn't want anything faster. It really hits the sweet spot.

I agree. If I didn't have the Emira, I wouldn't want anything faster. It really hits the sweet spot.
I agree. There’s so much traffic in my area and the police are so heavy-handed that more acceleration would go to waste.

We know roughly - Based on Lotus tech financials.

Someone may want to double check but I believe we are around 8K - 9K Emira's built since 2022 production start.

I really doubt that. Lotus had 1.2 million in sales for 2022, essentially sold maybe 10-20 cars? I don't know. They sold 2600 Emiras in 2023, and current production numbers for 2024 model year is at about 4000 - some of which were sold in 2023. So I'd say that the total number of Emiras built to date is probably somewhere between 5-6K.

I really doubt that. Lotus had 1.2 million in sales for 2022, essentially sold maybe 10-20 cars? I don't know. They sold 2600 Emiras in 2023, and current production numbers for 2024 model year is at about 4000 - some of which were sold in 2023. So I'd say that the total number of Emiras built to date is probably somewhere between 5-6K.
I think 2022 there must have been more. Harry’s garage Emira factory tour when he went to see his car in production was filmed in October 2022. I think his car was in the #300’s for the year. There was a lot of Chinese cars on the line at the time. Surely Lotus built more than 5-6k since mid 2022-2024? You could be right, but who really knows.

I’

Agreed.
Lotus often misses opportunities. Your list of issues should also include the Evija’s launch disappointments. The development assets invested in that car could have financed the Emira R and then some. The GT4 is neat but irrelevant to the market as well. And there should be no mistake. I’m a vested fan too.

Yet the Hethel sports cars remain unique and compelling to many enthusiasts. Admittedly it is easy to critique Lotus and hard to do what they do but the Emira launch has been rough. It’s what fans hoped the Geely infusions would have avoided.
"We interrupt this exchange with possible breaking news: Goodwood is round the corner and inquiring minds anticipate Lotus business news. Or insider briefings.
Or pub chatter. Or more conspiracy theories.'
Carry on.

"We interrupt this exchange with possible breaking news: Goodwood is round the corner and inquiring minds anticipate Lotus business news. Or insider briefings.
Or pub chatter. Or more conspiracy theories.'
Carry on.
Max Verstappen will be at Goodwood 2024 - I am not entirely sure if Lotus will even have a stand this year. Such a great event, glad I went last year.

Harry's tweeted to say that the video about his Emira replacement is going live at 5pm UK time today, will be interesting to see what he has to say as to why he's replaced the car.
Honestly, he’s a great car guy- but he has to keep turning inventory to be relevant. As a daily sports car, the Emira does so many things right, that I don’t think his decision to move on is a negative reflection on the car itself. I don’t have 500 miles on mine yet, but thus far, the car has exceeded my expectations for a US sub $100K manual sports car with daily drivability- and then there’s the Wow Factor.

Honestly, he’s a great car guy- but he has to keep turning inventory to be relevant. As a daily sports car, the Emira does so many things right, that I don’t think his decision to move on is a negative reflection on the car itself. I don’t have 500 miles on mine yet, but thus far, the car has exceeded my expectations for a US sub $100K manual sports car with daily drivability- and then there’s the Wow Factor.
I hope he speaks to the operating costs. Cars come an go. To each their own. His feelings don't affect the joy I get from my Emira.

I personally love Harry Metcalfe and his Harry’s Garage YouTube channel, and I do not feel that he has ever criticized the Lotus Emira, rather the contrary. His praise for this Lotus model has been consistent.. Just like everyone here, I was surprised that he decided to sell it after only 18 months, and I had hoped he felt that it was “a keeper”, like his Lotus Elan. He did also sell his beloved Esprit though, and he has expressed his love for that car even after he let it go.

I feel Harry’s criticism is against the current (international) Lotus management, and the projectory this management is steering Lotus towards. I very much agree with Harry Metcalfe in his reaction against this route of taking Lotus, and I definitely think it is a path that will make Lotus founder Colin Chapman twist uncomfortably in his grave.

I am saying this as an upcoming (after 3 years of wait) Lotus Emira owner. Many members herin won’t angree with my choice since the car I am awaiting is the 4-cylinder version with “paddles”, and it doesn’t have the cherished 3-pedals.

I was recommended to go this direction by a true Lotus (Elise/Exige) racer and tuning expert with a long career and lots of experience. But who cares: “To each his own”, and I have my full right to make my own choices. So I did 😇

Long live LOTUS❣️

Last edited:
They built 5033 in 2023.

Told me that on the factory tour.

They build roughly 24 per day.