Hello from Canada

Welcome!

My thoughts on your questions:
1. I believe that you will have to take the car back to the dealership in order to not void the warranty.

2. Calgary told me I would hear more in September. I asked all the questions and received generic vague answers. šŸ™„

3. $2500 (refundable) and no information at all about price. šŸ˜¬

Hope that helps. If you end up buying one, we can coordinate trips back to Calgary for servicing! Can you imagine seeing 2 Emira's screaming down the highway??!!
Thanks for the input. That would be awesome šŸ˜Ž.

Hi fellow Canadians.
Iā€™m located in Winnipeg and looking at the emira. Just a couple of questions I wouldnā€™t mind getting your input on.

1. If itā€™s under warranty, do you have to get it serviced at a lotus dealer? (The closest dealership would be Calgary) Or can it be done at say a Mercedes dealership if Iā€™m getting the 2.0L 4 cylinder engine with dct ?

2. What have the dealerships said to you regarding allocation, wait time and position on list?

3. How much was the deposit? Did they say anything about what the actual cost will be?
Thanks in advance šŸ˜€
Good to hear from another fellow Canadian. On the deposit, It was $2500.00 with the Montreal dealer. They had 25 other deposits within the first week. I haven't heard anything since and don't expect to until September. The best delivery guess from them was next summer and the AMG not until 2023. The only cost mentioned was maybe CDN $120,000.00 ( that was a guess ) which I think is probably accurate. With the interest shown in the car from everything I see online, I am not really expecting I'll get a launch edition. It would be nice but it's not a great concern.
On the warranty service. I have had very few problems with the Elise and Evora, both bought new. I think I have only been to the dealer three times total for both cars. Not really worth driving a couple of thousand kilometres for an oil change. I'll pay to get an oil change and basic service ( took it to a real shop and kept all of the records ) I did take the Elise to a dealer in Boston but had the car out for a driving vacation and just included that as part of the trip.
Lotus probably could have done a better job in having the information ready for dealers. Good luck.. these cars are first of all fun, and meant to be driven ... go for it.
Hi fellow Canadians.
Iā€™m located in Winnipeg and looking at the emira. Just a couple of questions I wouldnā€™t mind getting your input on.

1. If itā€™s under warranty, do you have to get it serviced at a lotus dealer? (The closest dealership would be Calgary) Or can it be done at say a Mercedes dealership if Iā€™m getting the 2.0L 4 cylinder engine with dct ?

2. What have the dealerships said to you regarding allocation, wait time and position on list?

3. How much was the deposit? Did they say anything about what the actual cost will be?
Thanks in advance šŸ˜€

Good to hear from another fellow Canadian. On the deposit, It was $2500.00 with the Montreal dealer. They had 25 other deposits within the first week. I haven't heard anything since and don't expect to until September. The best delivery guess from them was next summer and the AMG not until 2023. The only cost mentioned was maybe CDN $120,000.00 ( that was a guess ) which I think is probably accurate. With the interest shown in the car from everything I see online, I am not really expecting I'll get a launch edition. It would be nice but it's not a great concern.
On the warranty service. I have had very few problems with the Elise and Evora, both bought new. I think I have only been to the dealer three times total for both cars. Not really worth driving a couple of thousand kilometres for an oil change. I'll pay to get an oil change and basic service ( took it to a real shop and kept all of the records ) I did take the Elise to a dealer in Boston but had the car out for a driving vacation and just included that as part of the trip.
Lotus probably could have done a better job in having the information ready for dealers. Good luck.. these cars are first of all fun, and meant to be driven ... go for it.
Thanks for taking the time Buzz. I appreciate it. Did the dealership say anything about voiding the warranty by servicing at an unauthorized shop?No big rush for me on getting one. This was just something I wanted to add to the garage. Iā€™ll put down a deposit, but Iā€™m already behind because there are probably a bunch of deposits ahead of me already.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time Buzz. I appreciate it. Did the dealership say anything about voiding the warranty by servicing at an unauthorized shop?No big rush for me on getting one. This was just something I wanted to add to the garage. Iā€™ll put down a deposit, but Iā€™m already behind because there are probably a bunch of deposits ahead of me already.
Hey, no there was no mention of warranty but to be honest its not something that I'm really concerned about and didn't bring it up. I bought the first two cars from the same Lotus dealer and same sales guy. I was more concerned on my first purchase. I think the discussion went something like "What happens if I need work done under warranty? " the answer was that we'll deal with it if something comes up. ( never did )That is probably not reassuring to lots of people, me? not so much. My cars are not garage queens and they end up with lots of kilometres but I don't track them or drive them hard. I would talk to your dealer and find out what their policy is. They can't really expect you to drive hundreds of miles to have simple things looked at. Line up someone close with a good reputation for servicing specialty cars. Ask all the questions up front...

Hey, no there was no mention of warranty but to be honest its not something that I'm really concerned about and didn't bring it up. I bought the first two cars from the same Lotus dealer and same sales guy. I was more concerned on my first purchase. I think the discussion went something like "What happens if I need work done under warranty? " the answer was that we'll deal with it if something comes up. ( never did )That is probably not reassuring to lots of people, me? not so much. My cars are not garage queens and they end up with lots of kilometres but I don't track them or drive them hard. I would talk to your dealer and find out what their policy is. They can't really expect you to drive hundreds of miles to have simple things looked at. Line up someone close with a good reputation for servicing specialty cars. Ask all the questions up front...
Hey Buzz,

I am also in Nova Scotia and considering placing a deposit on the Emira. My number one reservation is servicing locally. I have no idea if there is any garage locally that services Lotus cars. If you donā€™t mind me asking who do you use? For servicing and warranty work not sure if driving to Quebec makes sense for me or shipping the car up there.
It will be my first step into a sports car for fun and I prefer the looks and technology over the cayman. However the ability to service the cayman locally is a plus.
I like the idea of having something different.
I see you have used the same salesperson a few times. How are they up there and would you mind sharing that persons contact details?
Any input you have is appreciated.

Hey, The contact at John Scotti is Bernard Durand. There is no specific shop locally in N.S. that I know of that services Lotus. As I have mentioned it just isn't an issue for me. If something goes wrong with the car I will deal wth it at the time... ship it , drive it to Quebec, fix it myself , have it fixed by someone local. My Evora spends half of the year in Florida and there is a dealer in the city I am in. ( never been there for service either ) I think that there is going to be a pretty long wait as probably all of the launch edition cars allocated for Canada have been spoken for. I don't know where I am on the list.
It would be nice to see a few more Lotus around . If you do call them please post something here if they have any update on anything.. CDN pricing , delivery etc. Good luck.

Hello from Vancouver! I am a former owner of an Elise MK2 (2002 model with the K-series engine). Quite excited to get back into a Lotus after nearly 20 years. My dealer said that they expect prices to start at $110,000 with first deliveries around July-August 2022 (obviously all is subject to change).

Hello from Vancouver! I am a former owner of an Elise MK2 (2002 model with the K-series engine). Quite excited to get back into a Lotus after nearly 20 years. My dealer said that they expect prices to start at $110,000 with first deliveries around July-August 2022 (obviously all is subject to change).
Hi Nick, The CDN $110,000.00 cost sounds about right to me. Let's hope Lotus gets their act together and they announce the prices in September.

Hi Nick, The CDN $110,000.00 cost sounds about right to me. Let's hope Lotus gets their act together and they announce the prices in September.
I am really looking forward to finding out the price difference between the V6 & I4 engine options. I don't care much about horsepower, but would much prefer a manual transmission.

I am really looking forward to finding out the price difference between the V6 & I4 engine options. I don't care much about horsepower, but would much prefer a manual transmission.
Agreed, would prefer a manual transmission and horsepower doesn't matter to me.

Agreed, would prefer a manual transmission and horsepower doesn't matter to me.
Another thing to consider here in BC, if the value of the car is over $125k you are subject to luxury car tax (PST jumps to 15%) :-(

Another thing to consider here in BC, if the value of the car is over $125k you are subject to luxury car tax (PST jumps to 15%) :-(

The HST in Nova Scotia is 15%.. and you're gonna hate this. In the Cdn. Federal budget this year there was a luxury tax proposed on Cars, Boats and Airplanes over 100 grand.

The tax is calculated at the lesser of:

• 20 per cent of the value above threshold ($100,000 for cars and personal aircraft; $250,000 for boats) ; or
  • 10 per cent of the full value of the luxury car, boat or personal aircraft.

Heard from Peninsula Motors in Oakville. Sale guy named Tony. Anyone dealt with these guys before? He is saying between $110 and $120k base. They are asking for my drivers license and $2500 deposit. I asked for the paperwork for the deposit and they are asking for the deposit. Something doesnā€™t feel right here. Let me know what your guysā€™ experience was like with the deposit.

Heard from Peninsula Motors in Oakville. Sale guy named Tony. Anyone dealt with these guys before? He is saying between $110 and $120k base. They are asking for my drivers license and $2500 deposit. I asked for the paperwork for the deposit and they are asking for the deposit. Something doesnā€™t feel right here. Let me know what your guysā€™ experience was like with the deposit.

The Vancouver dealer asked me for a driver's license with the credit card authorization form. The payment was processed only after they issued & I signed a worksheet / offer to purchase. Following that, I got a copy of the receipt and that was the end of it.

Iā€™m not in Canada but I had to send driverā€™s license and sign form and $2500 deposit, sounds like the same as you.

It was the same for the Montreal dealer. $2500.00 refundable deposit and copy of driver's license.

Not to beat a dead horse here but the dealer has sent me a bill of sale and requires the $2500 deposit. It doesnā€™t state anywhere that it is refundable. What have you seen as far as paperwork stating the deposit is refundable? At what point does it become non-refundable?

Not to beat a dead horse here but the dealer has sent me a bill of sale and requires the $2500 deposit. It doesnā€™t state anywhere that it is refundable. What have you seen as far as paperwork stating the deposit is refundable? At what point does it become non-refundable?
I put my deposit down and only have a verbal that it is refundable. I have been dealing with same dealer / sales guy for about 10 years and I am not worried. He says they should have pricing and delivery details in September. That is fine with me. I don't think any dealer anywhere knows much more than that, and won't for a few more weeks. This will be my last, less than sensible car purchase, and I am not in a great big rush. It will all come together just like there was a plan.

Yes I think you are right. It will all come together. I also am not in a hurry for the car. I guess I could wait but would like to be on the current list. I am likely going for the AMG engine so if that doesn't come until 2023 I am fine with that. Ideally would like to test drive both as I could change my mind.