• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

How bad does the boot/trunk heat get?

ggazso

Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hi everyone!

After watching several videos of the Emira, I noticed that many people kept vaguely commenting on how the boot/trunk storage space gets rather hot after running the engine for some time.

I wanted to see if any current owners could give me a more concrete description of how hot it tends to get. I plan to daily my Emira, so it would be nice to know if storing groceries in the back would be a no-go, for example.

Thanks in advance!

Paid my 2nd deposit on the i4 a month ago, hoping for Q1 or Q2 delivery to Washington State dealer, but of course crickets from Lotus. I've heard the trunk is not as hot on the i4, I'll advise after I get some miles on it!
This is also news to me, I'm not a fan of how I found this out on the forums over a week later after this became public instead of the dealership contacting me... also despite me being in contact with him recently last week for other reasons.
Don't think the dealers were aware until the "big" NA dealers call with Lotus - they were reaching out to reservation holders for their build codes through Oct. and part of Nov. then Lotus dropped the hammer in November. It really seemed like a bait & switch to me, by Lotus, using the dealers to unknowingly do their dirty work. I received the same calls - "need to lock in with build code, you will receive the email from Lotus after the 20th of the month with build and delivery months, expect Nov./Dec. build with Feb./Mar. delivery". No email arrived, that's when I started asking questions.. Even better, in the middle of all that was the job posting for an Emission Engineer position at Hethel.. Fun Times..

I take a rule of thumb if I don't want it melting and the trip is more than say 15 min, put it in the passenger footwell or behind the seat (which actually is quite good storage)
I also warn my partner if she's puts an overnight bag in, see above rule

That said, no actual issues have arisen

We have a pair of matching leather bags chosen to fit the boot space and have had no issues with heat, even though they've been in there all day and the car driven reasonably hard. That includes my wife's makeup bag.

Hi everyone!

After watching several videos of the Emira, I noticed that many people kept vaguely commenting on how the boot/trunk storage space gets rather hot after running the engine for some time.

I wanted to see if any current owners could give me a more concrete description of how hot it tends to get. I plan to daily my Emira, so it would be nice to know if storing groceries in the back would be a no-go, for example.

Thanks in advance!
I was concerned seeing those videos, but in reality it has not been a problem. After drives of 3-4 hours, the boot is not hot by any means. Having had tote-bags and briefcase/laptop in the boot, they have been mildly warm on the surface after a long drive, but nothing sufficient to heat up anything in the bags (at least not that I have seen to date).

While it would be fine to do the shopping run (I have not dared leave mine in a supermarket carpark ) I would definitely not put frozen stuff in the boot if it the trip back was any length.

How about the fact cooling issues arose with the i4 application in Emira, necessitating an additional engine compartment fan and shrowd ducting.
FYI the Mercedes A45 and A45S have the same fan and cooling shroud. It's a standard feature of the motor, not an extreme measure developed by Lotus.

I was concerned seeing those videos, but in reality it has not been a problem. After drives of 3-4 hours, the boot is not hot by any means. Having had tote-bags and briefcase/laptop in the boot, they have been mildly warm on the surface after a long drive, but nothing sufficient to heat up anything in the bags (at least not that I have seen to date).

While it would be fine to do the shopping run (I have not dared leave mine in a supermarket carpark ) I would definitely not put frozen stuff in the boot if it the trip back was any length.
I think that puts all fears to rest. I rarely have to drive 3-4 hours, so it sounds like I've got nothing to worry about (except with ice cream, I guess).

Does anyone have suggestions for some sort of material I can line the trunk with to reduce the heat from the engine?

I put my laptop in a laptop bag in the back, and when I went to pull it out, the aluminum shell of the computer nearly burned me. I couldn't touch it. Thankfully the computer was okay after letting it cool for a few hours, but it gets extremely hot in there.

Wondering what I can do to make the trunk more usable for me.

Does anyone have suggestions for some sort of material I can line the trunk with to reduce the heat from the engine?
Trunk? You talking about the built in potato baker?

I don't think isolating is very feasible. Electronics go behind the seat for me. Wait for the colder days when you get into your nice warm jacket!

The trunk is a seroius problem with this car. It is way too hot to be practical. In fact, this car is probably not long lived for my garage because the storage is just too small and too hot to be practical for any trips that require transporting much.

I took my Cayman on a three month road trip and it was effortlerss. The Emira isn't even adequate for a trip to the supermarket. A case of wine would bake in it on the way home, my wife's cosmetics would probably melt on a weekend road trip...the things that one can't do with this car because of the trunk is long. Don't underestimate the impracticality of this car. I've owned a lot of two seater sports cars and this is the worst. (I actually have four two seaters in my garage right now.)

I purchased this car knowing it's a weekend toy. You have to treat this car more like a supercar /serious sports car than a grocery shopper.

The trunk is large enough to fit golf clubs and warm enough to keep the pizza fresh and hot lol.

the pizza boxes do lay flatter, I just tilted it for the pic.

1725981626577.png
1725981646430.png

Last edited:
The trunk is a seroius problem with this car. It is way too hot to be practical. In fact, this car is probably not long lived for my garage because the storage is just too small and too hot to be practical for any trips that require transporting much.

I took my Cayman on a three month road trip and it was effortlerss. The Emira isn't even adequate for a trip to the supermarket. A case of wine would bake in it on the way home, my wife's cosmetics would probably melt on a weekend road trip...the things that one can't do with this car because of the trunk is long. Don't underestimate the impracticality of this car. I've owned a lot of two seater sports cars and this is the worst. (I actually have four two seaters in my garage right now.)
So....tell me how you really feel. :)

And I agree, the Cayman is more practical than the Emira, but I chose the Emira because:
1. I don't like the Cayman's interior.
2. All Porsches look the same.
3. The Emira looks like a supercar, the Cayman looks like, well a Cayman from 2007. Sorry Porsche fans.
4. Porsches have a certain 'air' about them around here (the same reason I didn't want a C8).
5. I fell in love with the Elise when I was young, and always had a dream of owning a Lotus. Although not the Lotus of 20 years ago, I still believe that they try hard to focus on driving experience first and foremost.

Supposed to take delivery in about two months (guessing), we'll see what I think when I actually own it...

Has not been an issue for me, I have used the trunk for super market trips and have ice cream and stuff in the back and did not have any problems. Trunk seems to get as hot as my ‘91 miata. All that said I would not put anything that would melt if I was planning a bunch of hard driving for a while. I personally do not see this as an issue at all, surprised this topic is getting this much attention. If someone has a concern with leaving food in for a while, i would recommend you just buy an insulated bag to put your frozen or cold foods in - as i would do with any vehicle. Vehicles with lots of windows get the interior of the car very hot on a sunny day - like Porsche 928…

I do like the idea of it helping to keep food warm, not going to lie. :ROFLMAO:

I was mainly worried that it would ruin food outright given how some people have described it in videos, but only having to keep stuff that melts easily out of there is absolutely acceptable.
I'd reserve judgement on that if I were you. Just recently posted the following picture and comment below. All kidding aside, my Emira's trunk gets really hot, really fast, so I can't imagine it being too different for everyone else. To make matters worse, I notice that you're a Miami resident, as I am, and here you don't even need of the assistance of the Emira's motor microwave effect for temperatures to rise fast. Eat your ice cream on the way back home ;).

Seriously considering this upgrade...
IMG_1072.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, anyways...

Any suggestions for how I can reduce the heat in the trunk? Some sort of lining material?

Honestly I don't think it's that well sealed from the engine bay heat even if you had a lining material. The trunk could double as a sous vide unit with a tank of water.

Honestly I don't think it's that well sealed from the engine bay heat even if you had a lining material. The trunk could double as a sous vide unit with a tank of water.

Probably true. Think it might also be the fact that the engine has a giant heat vent where the air is exiting onto the trunk.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back