• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I’ve had enough, I’m selling it

Enough is enough, I’m selling the car after just 2,500 miles. After being away on a trip I went for a drive last week and the aircon failed (again) but this time the fans didn’t even turn on.

I’ve dropped the car around to the dealer to fix it and on the way there was torrential rain so having the windows slightly open to let air in wasn’t ideal, but to make matters worse the wipers only moved at glacial speed so I had almost zero visibility.

Added to these woes are:
- ABS/ESC decides to fail often
- Hold function ditto
- The engine gets covered in water when opening the boot in the rain
- Apple CarPlay doesn’t connect each time
- The seats are horrible
- The KEF audio system is a joke
- The brakes are very grabby and accelerator too sensitive

To make matters worse my loom needs replacing but Lotus HQ haven’t got one yet, and I’ve had two recall notice letters (wipers, airbag) but those parts aren’t in yet either.

Anyway I’m hoping the dealer can sort these issues out and then I’ll put it on the market. Somebody will pick up cheap V6FE Auto I’m sure.

Meantime I’ve bought a demo 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with 3500 miles on it for £10k off list price and in which funnily enough, everything just works.

I love the Emira’s looks and the engine and exhaust note are sublime but I just don’t have any confidence in the car anymore. I wanted to love it, I really did.
I cancelled my order for an Emira V6 in February this year and ordered a 718 4.0 GTS and taking delivery 4th September. The whole experience with Porsche has been incredible with production updates via an APP and a complementary afternoon driving a 718 4.0 around the track at Silverstone. Lotus had such an opportunity to win new customers like you and I but have failed to deliver at every step of the process. Enjoy your GTS.

I cancelled my order for an Emira V6 in February this year and ordered a 718 4.0 GTS and taking delivery 4th September. The whole experience with Porsche has been incredible with production updates via an APP and a complementary afternoon driving a 718 4.0 around the track at Silverstone. Lotus had such an opportunity to win new customers like you and I but have failed to deliver at every step of the process. Enjoy your GTS.
I guess the Porsche forum sucks though? :ROFLMAO:

Porsche Forum(s) are plentiful, one for each model/series, so lots of different stuff going on. Most of the topics are regarding modifications, or wheel/tires, larger brakes, the normal car improvement stuff. The Forums on the older series models get into repair of aging components, etc.... Lots of great information and advice.....

So, Yes, The Porsche Forum(s) are different from the Emiraforum in many ways, yet similar in other.

@Ftype ('s) comment is unfortunately true; "Lotus had such an opportunity to win new customers like you and I but have failed to deliver at every step of the process." ...

I feel many Sports car buyers look past a certain amount of issues and shortcomings, especially with a new Model, yet is the Emira really a "New Model" with the same powertrain as the Evora? So I fully understand those who have left and gone to other brands like the Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0L.

On the other hand, I am staying the course as I wait for my Emira, still hoping that Lotus gets its act together and starts manufacturing a quality product worthy of a $100K USD Price Tag. I have the time to wait and already have a few Porsches in the garage.
Lotus seems like they have all of the right pieces,........ Just don't see why they can't fix the issues in a timely manner..... Or atleast communicate what the schedule is.

Isn’t that the same as pressing the sport exhaust button?

Not if you place the collar part way down the shaft. Lets the valves close part way, not fully, yet only part way so you get the sound without the drone or step volume shift at ~3600RPM.

Really quite an ingenious idea.....

I’ve come to realize that owning an emira is like making a super hot model your girlfriend only to find out she’s a full fledged narcissist…
With respect, bit of an odd analogy IMO.

I'd say it is more along the lines of a hot model girlfriend who constantly has to go to rehab or therapy retreats, and it takes a certain personality type to maintain that relationship... are you going to support them through it, and maybe build a strong lifelong bond, or just say "f**k it, somebody else can deal with it"? 😄

With respect, bit of an odd analogy IMO.

I'd say it is more along the lines of a hot model girlfriend who constantly has to go to rehab or therapy retreats, and it takes a certain personality type to maintain that relationship... are you going to support them through it, and maybe build a strong lifelong bond, or just say "f**k it, somebody else can deal with it"? 😄
Perfect!!

As an Emira owner, I can say based on first hand experience that mine has has both supermodel looks and no personality disorders. ;)
Ah... so you're the fixer-upper in the relationship then... :)

Enough is enough, I’m selling the car after just 2,500 miles. After being away on a trip I went for a drive last week and the aircon failed (again) but this time the fans didn’t even turn on.

I’ve dropped the car around to the dealer to fix it and on the way there was torrential rain so having the windows slightly open to let air in wasn’t ideal, but to make matters worse the wipers only moved at glacial speed so I had almost zero visibility.

Added to these woes are:
- ABS/ESC decides to fail often
- Hold function ditto
- The engine gets covered in water when opening the boot in the rain
- Apple CarPlay doesn’t connect each time
- The seats are horrible
- The KEF audio system is a joke
- The brakes are very grabby and accelerator too sensitive

To make matters worse my loom needs replacing but Lotus HQ haven’t got one yet, and I’ve had two recall notice letters (wipers, airbag) but those parts aren’t in yet either.

Anyway I’m hoping the dealer can sort these issues out and then I’ll put it on the market. Somebody will pick up cheap V6FE Auto I’m sure.

Meantime I’ve bought a demo 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 with 3500 miles on it for £10k off list price and in which funnily enough, everything just works.

I love the Emira’s looks and the engine and exhaust note are sublime but I just don’t have any confidence in the car anymore. I wanted to love it, I really did.
Funny, I had a FE allocation for next month with 10k ADM and I got a refund from fear of these issues. I also decided to get a Cayman GTS 4.0 instead for cheaper than the Emira. Thanks for helping me justify my switch lmao

Just an update: the dealer called me two weeks ago (a week after I dropped the Emira off to get fixed), and they said the car has to be effectively taken apart so that the ENTIRE loom can be refitted. They said it would be at least 3 weeks because the loom hasn’t been sent to them yet and it would take a technician a week to do the job.

So that’s at least a month in the workshop to fix a car that should never have left the factory in the state I received it. And I’m not super confident in a dealer major re-loom job tbh. It should have gone back to the factory.

Meantime I’ve had the Cayman GTS 4.0 for just over two weeks and had 700 miles of glorious naturally aspirated flat-6 wailing, trouble free motoring. The PDK actually redlines at 8,000RPM and boy does it make me grin each time.

I’m not doing any mods to the GTS 4.0, because my last Porsche was a 992 911 Carrera 4S which Litchfield tuned to 628HP with an ECU remap and Akrapovic exhaust and I got black flagged by Porsche and invalidated the drivetrain warranty. The GTS doesn’t need any mods, it’s basically perfect as it is.

Just an update: the dealer called me two weeks ago (a week after I dropped the Emira off to get fixed), and they said the car has to be effectively taken apart so that the ENTIRE loom can be refitted. They said it would be at least 3 weeks because the loom hasn’t been sent to them yet and it would take a technician a week to do the job.

So that’s at least a month in the workshop to fix a car that should never have left the factory in the state I received it. And I’m not super confident in a dealer major re-loom job tbh. It should have gone back to the factory.

Meantime I’ve had the Cayman GTS 4.0 for just over two weeks and had 700 miles of glorious naturally aspirated flat-6 wailing, trouble free motoring. The PDK actually redlines at 8,000RPM and boy does it make me grin each time.

I’m not doing any mods to the GTS 4.0, because my last Porsche was a 992 911 Carrera 4S which Litchfield tuned to 628HP with an ECU remap and Akrapovic exhaust and I got black flagged by Porsche and invalidated the drivetrain warranty. The GTS doesn’t need any mods, it’s basically perfect as it is.
Agreed, the Emira is beautiful, but there are too many "what ifs" and a gamble in terms of reliability and dealership support. Porsche already has a great brand reputation and large dealer network and is mainly why I went towards ordering the 718 GTS 4.0. I really wanted to like the Emira but I'd rather save the possible headache for a 100k car

Agreed, the Emira is beautiful, but there are too many "what ifs" and a gamble in terms of reliability and dealership support. Porsche already has a great brand reputation and large dealer network and is mainly why I went towards ordering the 718 GTS 4.0. I really wanted to like the Emira but I'd rather save the possible headache for a 100k car
Totally agree and pick up my 718 GTS 4.0 on Monday. I appreciate that not all Emiras are affected but there does appear to be a high proportion leaving the factory with known faults. If I was Koorby I would now be rejecting the car rather than having it taken apart by a franchised dealer who may not be that familiar with the new model.

Reactions: Txs
I’d love to hand the keys back to Lotus and get back what I paid for but I took delivery back in April so I doubt UK consumer protection law would kick in. Plus, how do I even reject the car if LCS don’t even reply to emails?

Back