• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I’ve had enough, I’m selling it

Nice! after cancelling my Emira after 2 years bought a 718 Spyder. Will make the parts and fit them.
You both are gonna love your picks!! I put everything on hold as well until they possibly get their act together. I’ll keep tabs here to see if progress gets made, and in the future maybe look for one of the resells that are certain to crop up. As far as holding me over until that day comes, I may add an Alfa Romeo QV to the stable. What a friggin car emotionally!! And beautiful to boot as a real head turner! Granted the cost of ownership long term is higher than average, but the way I see it, going forward with it saves me approximately USD 24K to spend on accoutrements right outta the gate. TBD, but again congrats to you both!

I’m sorry to hear about the issues several of you are experiencing. My Lotus Emira V6 auto has been near flawless. Yes, Apple CarPlay doesn’t always connect properly, but it does 98% of the time. My windscreen wiper issue was solved through a dealer recall by a dealer who really cares: Thierry Verhiest of Lotus Oostende, Belgium. Don’t believe Porsche’s have no issues. They do, like all other cars.

I’m sorry to hear about the issues several of you are experiencing. My Lotus Emira V6 auto has been near flawless. Yes, Apple CarPlay doesn’t always connect properly, but it does 98% of the time. My windscreen wiper issue was solved through a dealer recall by a dealer who really cares: Thierry Verhiest of Lotus Oostende, Belgium. Don’t believe Porsche’s have no issues. They do, like all other cars.
It’s not about a car having issues or not. Nothing is going to be 100% out the gate. It is the customer service part that matters. Lotus has a reputation that… isn’t the best when it comes to after sales hence many people just said F*#% you lotus and fix it themselves because the car is just THAT good. I know, I have an Elise.

I love the car, but I’m not blind to the fact that this car is literally like handling an eggshells - give it to someone to service who has a 5 star yelp review to service? You have to worry it the car is going to come back with something broken. Get it detailed by someone else? Surprise! Now your TC switch is busted. Not saying that the emira didn’t solve these lotus gremlins, but with my sub 15k mileage 06’ Elise I count my blessings when nothing goes wrong and everything is in perfect order.

I know exactly what I’m getting when I get an emira: bigger, heavier, prettier experience. But I’m not gonna say “for a 100k+ car everything should be solved.” Yeah, maybe for a Honda/Toyota/Mazda. But none of them drives like the lotus. Be ready for the heart break and see how long you last!

I’d love to hand the keys back to Lotus and get back what I paid for but I took delivery back in April so I doubt UK consumer protection law would kick in. Plus, how do I even reject the car if LCS don’t even reply to emails?
Hi

Sad to here, but I believe you have a least minimum of 6 months, I certain that is the case with buying second hand from car dealer.

Roland

Hi

Sad to here, but I believe you have a least minimum of 6 months, I certain that is the case with buying second hand from car dealer.

Roland
So info from the web:

Exercising your consumer rights​

If you are now outside of the first 30 days, the seller has one opportunity only to repair or replace the faulty car. You will not be able to ask for rejection at this stage. This does not apply to cars purchased before 1 October 2015. The Sale of Goods Act allows the seller to either repair or replace the car within a reasonable period of time without causing significant inconvenience.

If you are complaining about a fault within the first six months of purchase, it is presumed this fault was there at the time of purchase. The seller will need to prove that this fault was not there at point of sale. If you are complaining about a fault outside of the first six months, you will need to prove that fault was there at point of sale.

If the seller is unable to repair the fault because the same fault persists or a new inherent fault has developed, or the replacement car has an inherent fault, then you can ask for your money back or a price reduction (partial refund) if you wish to keep the car.

Remember, for rejection outside of the first 30 days, the seller is entitled to deduct the mileage you have added onto the car.

2015 Consumer Rights Act is a powerful tool in the UK (and the EU).

For the first month you can reject a faulty car and obtain a full refund. The supplier even has to pay for collection (unless they have a clause in their T&C to negate this).

For the first 6 months you must give the supplier one chance to fix a fault - if they fail to fix the fault or further significant faults develop then you can reject the car. You won't get a full refund, they are allowed to deduct some money for the use that the car has had.

I have previously rejected a brand new Exige V6 and got all my money back. You are dealing directly with Lotus, get in touch with Customer Services by email, put/keep EVERYTHING in writing, document the faults with dates etc, if you have any phone calls document them and email the notes to Lotus. Most important, stop driving the car immediately and inform them that you are rejecting it. They will try to persuade you otherwise, do not be moved. If you are really brave you can have it delivered to Lotus HQ on the back of a low loader lol. Whatever, they cannnot ignore you.

I’m just happy that the US has a lemon law.
Yea, it would be a good idea to become familiar with all of your state's Lemon Law details, and document your interactions and communications from day 1, just in case...

1. Its English car, which are never known for their reliability. Watch the first Cannon Ball run movie, the jag never starts the race, yes, I know it's a movie. McLaren's have many strange issues too. Watch
My biggest concern the Emira is basically the Evora S/400 in another wrapper with many similar parts, how could LOTUS be having so many issues?

It’s only the engine and gearbox from the Evora. Literally everything else is new. All the mechanical components, sensors, wiring looms, electronics and the control software.

1. Its English car, which are never known for their reliability. Watch the first Cannon Ball run movie, the jag never starts the race, yes, I know it's a movie. McLaren's have many strange issues too. Watch
My biggest concern the Emira is basically the Evora S/400 in another wrapper with many similar parts, how could LOTUS be having so many issues?
cuz evora had a lot of issues too

Still No excuse, I said similar not same parts.
Nobody is forcing you to buy the car. At the end of the day, it falls on lotus. Many people whom purchased the emira, are experiencing their first experience with Lotus. Many of them, it’ll be their last. So all you can do is sit back, and accept it, or deny it. Like I said, we have a choice.

I found from one pic posted in these forums, it is clearly an Evora in a fat suit. It looked like a wide body kitted car with the door open and wide door sills. Beautiful looking, or I wouldn’t have been tempted by it. As far as choice to buy goes, I for one am going to stick around and see how this all unfolds, and if they get their $h!t together. I held out with my deposit as long as possible, and turned down my allocation as the sheer volume of issues both with the vehicle and CS itself were overwhelming. The fact that owners are being told by service departments, that the reason the defects are there is that “that’s how they make’m“?? There’s no defense of that.
I get that people are loyal to their brand and will excuse them for some shortcomings, but to discount it as a small sample of issues is not doing justice to the members here who are reading the voluminous accounts which members post. Everybody can glean what they will from the reviews and real world experiences that owners are having (both good and bad), and make informed decisions.

Still No excuse, I said similar not same parts.
The Evora was designed and built before Lotus was owned by Geely, with parts sourced from wherever Lotus used at the time. Now Geely has directed them where to source parts and set them a target to build a car that looks a lot like an Evora in terms of bill of materials but costs 10-15k less.

I agree no excuses, but cost-engineering to a lower price point, and using a bunch of new suppliers when COVID restricted being able to visit them and review QA processes had the potential to cause issues if not managed well. In contrast to the final iterations of Evora (GT410, US GT), which have been pretty reliable. Although the Launch Edition Evora had issues, there weren't as many and they were in fewer sub-systems and components than we've seen with Emira.

I have a LE allocation; I am getting mine when it hits the USA. I have had other Lotus cars, the last one was an Evora. If your close to a dealer your good, if far away could be inconvenient.

Just an update: the dealer called me two weeks ago (a week after I dropped the Emira off to get fixed), and they said the car has to be effectively taken apart so that the ENTIRE loom can be refitted. They said it would be at least 3 weeks because the loom hasn’t been sent to them yet and it would take a technician a week to do the job.

So that’s at least a month in the workshop to fix a car that should never have left the factory in the state I received it. And I’m not super confident in a dealer major re-loom job tbh. It should have gone back to the factory.

Meantime I’ve had the Cayman GTS 4.0 for just over two weeks and had 700 miles of glorious naturally aspirated flat-6 wailing, trouble free motoring. The PDK actually redlines at 8,000RPM and boy does it make me grin each time.

I’m not doing any mods to the GTS 4.0, because my last Porsche was a 992 911 Carrera 4S which Litchfield tuned to 628HP with an ECU remap and Akrapovic exhaust and I got black flagged by Porsche and invalidated the drivetrain warranty. The GTS doesn’t need any mods, it’s basically perfect as it is.
I had my loom replaced as well. Similar timescale. It appears to have resolved the electrical gremlins I am told the car exhibited (the dealership picked up on them before handover).

Back