• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I don't get the I4 - what is the target audience?

I align with your views on the mechanical reasoning.
Choice is good, and 300+ lbft across a wide rev range and great handling are personally appealing.

For competition, based on early reviews - it might seem looks and potentially brand are the stand outs.
Other brands are coming close or exceeding perf/handling, reliability and value (lower price in US reference point)

Looking hard at my options/deposit and trying to see the benefit of new vs waiting for the used market to adjust to what I think should be a $10-15k price difference (I4 to V6) not because of perf. but all these "drivers" making noise (exhaust and online)

Choice is good - knowing what you want is hard.

For me, a manually operated clutch detracts from the driving experience. In my mind, the driving experience is about the analog control of the car through the steering, throttle and brakes. Not about having analog control of the connection between the engine and transmission. If I need a gear change, I want it to happen as quickly and smoothly as possible. A paddle shift DCT seems to be one of the best solutions for this and is why basically every modern racecar uses it. Plus you then can switch to automatic mode when you want.

In my opinion, the Emira doesn't have any real competitors because it looks better than anything less than 200k. Plus, it's a Lotus, which is cool.

Reactions: Fil
For me, a manually operated clutch detracts from the driving experience. In my mind, the driving experience is about the analog control of the car through the steering, throttle and brakes. Not about having analog control of the connection between the engine and transmission. If I need a gear change, I want it to happen as quickly and smoothly as possible. A paddle shift DCT seems to be one of the best solutions for this and is why basically every modern racecar uses it. Plus you then can switch to automatic mode when you want.

In my opinion, the Emira doesn't have any real competitors because it looks better than anything less than 200k. Plus, it's a Lotus, which is cool.
I guess the other dimension to pivot is track or road. On track, I agree with you, I'd prefer a (working) DCT any day to my clumsy heal-n-toein g. On the road, I pivot towards "working the car", i.e. engagement. All of this is so personal. It's like trying to debate with people whether they like chocolate or vanilla ice cream. And, again, I am not doing that, trying to understand the target market for the I4 and I think I am getting a better picture: not everyone likes three pedals and for Lotus, it expands their market geographically and long term.

I guess the other dimension to pivot is track or road. On track, I agree with you, I'd prefer a (working) DCT any day to my clumsy heal-n-toein g. On the road, I pivot towards "working the car", i.e. engagement. All of this is so personal. It's like trying to debate with people whether they like chocolate or vanilla ice cream. And, again, I am not doing that, trying to understand the target market for the I4 and I think I am getting a better picture: not everyone likes three pedals and for Lotus, it expands their market geographically and long term.
I was on the fence; I didn't mind either way. My decision ultimately came down to how long I'd wait to see a manual V6 vs. the I4 variant. I contemplated for a year and put my initial deposit on the I4 in May of this year. I'm locked in and my car is being built in January. I see the merits of both variants and maybe occasionally i will pause to think on how the manual would be different but I'll still be sitting in the sweetest looking two seater for the money.

You have heard several good reasons but for me it will be a second car with daily driver capabilities and driving pleasure. I love turbo cars and wanted a new technology engine rather than the end of life Toyota lump. I drove the V6 and if it was the only game in town would happily have bought one but I no longer need a manual car for driving thrills, been there done that. From what I hear the handling is better and it is more nimble and sounds like the engine is everything I wanted it to be. In fact it seems like the Lotus version of the AMG is better balanced, less of a rev monster. My only real concerns are around the reports of the sluggish manual change. Mind you I test drove the V6 at the peak of the downer on the quality of the V6 manual shift and I had no issues at all.
I should be getting one of the first i4 (outside China) hopefully in September so not too long to wait.

Once upon a time long long ago (when the Emira was first announced) I had visions of owning an engaging, affordable and beautiful sports car. Something I could drive on a daily basis.

I was sold on the m139 because it was the latest and greatest from AMG at the time. It could also be easily tuned with some software and a couple videos existed of 500hp wagons.

I was told Lotus had a new factory with genuine craftsmen, magic paint booths, and the purse of a giant to help them deliver all of this in a timely manner with the reliability of a born again sports manufacturer making their last hurrah to gasoline.

The AMG powered Emira made a whole lot of sense from this naive perspective. But it quickly started to become obvious that the new Lotus was basically just the same as the old Lotus. The car would constantly have some issues and I wasn’t confident electronics and programming were Lotus’ forte. This meant that tuning the Emira was out of the question unless I wanted to void the warranty.

This was all pretty obvious really early on and I managed to switch to the v6 manual camp just as early. Multiple delays, price hikes increases, and thousands of posts later I’m still clinging on — and I honestly can’t blame anyone for still clinging onto the dream of the AMG Emira.
This was exactly my position and mental journey as well... except that I kept my fingers in my ears and la-la-la'd until as late as possible. I really wanted the AMG to begin with, but so much changed during the wait (both for Lotus, and my personal situation) that I pulled the trigger on a manual V6 when it came time to lock my final config.

This is the best i4 car at the same emission group in China for track,but V6 doesn't…

For me, the DCT

I've had manuals most of my life and swore I'd only ever drive manual sports cars. I've had gen2 MR2 Turbo, S2000, RSX Type-S and lately had the chance to drive the new Supra and tracked a Ferrari 488 GTB. I've absoltely loved the speed of the shifts and interaction with the paddles. Don't get me wrong, manual is fun, but I found myself not missing the clutch and being just as engaged with the paddles. I've also have a sim racing setup and have been doing a lot of GT3 racing and LOVE racing with paddles.

Also, I feel the DCT "adds lightness". Not in the conventional weight saving way, but it makes the car faster/more efficient without having to add more engine. We're quick to jump on saving 20 lbs here or there or making the car more aerodynamic, but the transmission doesn't seem to get the same appreciation.

I will miss the sound of the V6, but the transmission is the decider for me (unpopular opinion, I know).

You can get a much faster and still great-looking 2017-2018 Acura/Honda NSX for just a bit more money. No, that would not have a warranty, but it most likely would not need it, since it is a Honda.

For all those that think the DCT will be great at the track, not according to the reviewers so far. Seems like the current programming is really good driven at 7/10th and shifted early -- but upshifting and downshifting aggressively it's not very good at.

Firstly, apologies for the I4 passionate owners, I am sure you will enjoy your cars. However, I am confused why this car was made by Lotus. Namely:
With the V6, manual, Lotus hit the soft spot of "the drivers". For us, that care about the driving experience above all, they made a new, great looking car, that sounds great, has an amazing chassis, drives beautifully, hydraulic steering and has a manual transmission. That's bull's eye.
The I4, while I am sure that engine is great, does not produce the same engaging sound (from what I read in the reviews), has a automatic transmission, and the hydraulic steering is softened. What is the target audience here? Because if you are looking for a good looking car with DCT, and soft steering, there are other options that are perhaps better. With the V6 manual, that is THE car to get if you are into manual gear engaging cars. Can you help me understand?
Matt Windle said early on that they need Lotus's on the road, not just enthusiasts using them as weekend cars. He needs regular men and women to buy the car and drive it like a Miati, Porsche, BMW. If people see them on the road they will come to the dealership. Whether that will be achieved is yet to be seen.

I think the answer is for consumers who want the fastest version of the Emira. If a CVT made for a faster Emira, I'd opt for that too.

Don’t forget there’s a dwindling number of people who can drive a manual. My partner’s three 20-somethings were taught in automatics and don’t have licenses to drive manuals.

I believe it’s even more prevalent in the US? When we were there I tried to hire a manual musclecar but they didn’t seem to exist.

Don’t forget there’s a dwindling number of people who can drive a manual. My partner’s three 20-somethings were taught in automatics and don’t have licenses to drive manuals.

I believe it’s even more prevalent in the US? When we were there I tried to hire a manual musclecar but they didn’t seem to exist.
Rental companies and owners who tent via turo.com know that it is far easier to cause serious wear if a manual transmission car is thrashed by a renter. That's why you won't see many for rent. I have rented many cars through turo, and would never abuse the car.

You can get a much faster and still great-looking 2017-2018 Acura/Honda NSX for just a bit more money. No, that would not have a warranty, but it most likely would not need it, since it is a Honda.
Yeah the 200k + figure was for new cars, but I haven't really seen a nsx for sale near me for less than about 120k and most are around 150k. I like the nsx looks, but I still think the Emira has the edge in the looks department.

I really don't need any extra power. The i4 power level is probably already too much power for me for a street car. With 600 hp, I would probably lose my license within a month. If you have the power, it's hard not to use it, right? The power levels on cars now is getting pretty bonkers.

Yeah the 200k + figure was for new cars, but I haven't really seen a nsx for sale near me for less than about 120k and most are around 150k. I like the nsx looks, but I still think the Emira has the edge in the looks department.

I really don't need any extra power. The i4 power level is probably already too much power for me for a street car. With 600 hp, I would probably lose my license within a month. If you have the power, it's hard not to use it, right? The power levels on cars now is getting pretty bonkers.
We have a fair number of hills where I live. Driving up them is when that extra power and torque is sometimes utilized but always appreciated. Besides, there are more and more EV drivers who like to embarrass ICE and ICE/Hybrid drivers. I do notice that there are plenty of "cruisers" who love the attention their not-so-common car gets. I need a bit more than that.
The other day, I received an email about an upcoming high school reunion in 2026 (our 50th). Of the 252 graduates that year, 20 of them (about 8%) have died. At this point in time, I am doing my best to postpone buying a fast car. Maybe I should start collecting SSI. ;)

Thank you all for chipping in. My initial assumption was wrong - I thought that the majority of folks getting the Emira are "classic" drivers that are in love with the manual transmission, and it turns out there are all sorts of other passions for this car. Also, emissions play a big role, and accessibility to other markets. Lotus clearly needs to give the investors the return on their investment. That can only come to Lotus through scale. So, they built the Evija to show that they mean business and future electric trajectory. Then launched the Emira V6 for the classic Lotus enthusiast to say "we're not leaving you behind". Then, launching the I4 DCT for people that want a more practical super car looks, to expand the markets with high emission standards, and have longevity of the ICE car. And, launched the Eletre for SUV audience, a page out of the Porsche growth play book. (Is there a Lotus sports sedan coming out too??) It's a good strategy. I hope it works for them. The company has been loved by many, but has been struggling. I hope they maintain the love from the enthusiast while they go for growth.

BTW, at the price of Emira, you can just get both the V6 and the I4 :) :) :), and still have change left compared to some other brands that have super car looks. We didn't discuss that option.... ;)

EmirOfDenmark, I think the wording you are using here probably explains why you cannot understand...

Your 'statement of fact' that manual transmissions are simply 'more engaging'? Really? This is absolutely a subjective view, clearly your view, but I would wager there are plenty of people who would disagree.

I have a track car that is manual, that is great on track, but I am 100% certain that I would have just as much fun in that same car with a DCT (not that one is available, I am just putting forward a comparison example for thought), albeit fun in a somewhat 'different way'.

I suspect there are also plenty of people who would not agree that a louder car is just 'better'... I, for example, prefer a quieter car, as in my own personal view, I feel it conveys a sense of sophistication over out-and-out loudness (and I do, personally, prefer the low 'thrum' of a 4cyl turbo over the higher-pitched 'wail' of a 6cyl).

I totally accept that others have completely different views to me, but I do think it strange when subjective statements are put across in a factual way.

Perhaps something in there to help you understand that just because you think something is 'better', not everybody else thinks the same.

EmirOfDenmark, I think the wording you are using here probably explains why you cannot understand...

Your 'statement of fact' that manual transmissions are simply 'more engaging'? Really? This is absolutely a subjective view, clearly your view, but I would wager there are plenty of people who would disagree.

I have a track car that is manual, that is great on track, but I am 100% certain that I would have just as much fun in that same car with a DCT (not that one is available, I am just putting forward a comparison example for thought), albeit fun in a somewhat 'different way'.

I suspect there are also plenty of people who would not agree that a louder car is just 'better'... I, for example, prefer a quieter car, as in my own personal view, I feel it conveys a sense of sophistication over out-and-out loudness (and I do, personally, prefer the low 'thrum' of a 4cyl turbo over the higher-pitched 'wail' of a 6cyl).

I totally accept that others have completely different views to me, but I do think it strange when subjective statements are put across in a factual way.

Perhaps something in there to help you understand that just because you think something is 'better', not everybody else thinks the same.
see my last reply. thanks.

Here is an article I just found about the last manual transmission supercars. Makes me wonder what the sales figures of manual vs dct Emiras would be if they ever got decent availability in the same year.

Last edited: