• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I don't get the I4 - what is the target audience?

Yeah, I agree... this smells off. Can you show your working?
Relevant bureaus of statistics show $53490 per annum vs approx £33K per annum (based on 640 per week measured in July).

Taxes are a significant factor of fuel cost in the UK. You are definitely better of for fuel prices in the US. 😭🩸
Microsoft Bing search of respective average wages. Can’t believe everything you’re told on the mass media outlets!!

Microsoft Bing search of respective average wages. Can’t believe everything you’re told on the mass media outlets!!
Yes we can all use a search engine... but did you follow the results to a credible source?

Summary table B. Establishment data, seasonally adjusted : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)
TLDR: $1157.28 per week, measured in July = approx $60178 per annum

Average weekly earnings in Great Britain - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
TLDR: £651 per week, measured in July = approx £33852 per annum = approx $42992 at today's FX rate

(apologies, I quoted the wrong months in my prior post)

This point would be an odd hill to for anyone die on, considering we can probably all agree that a) the i4 will objectively cost less to run (in fuel) than a V6, regardless of these figures, and b) the cost of running an i4 Emira is probably completely irrelevant to anyone who is an "average" earner. 🤷‍♂️

Yes we can all use a search engine... but did you follow the results to a credible source?

Summary table B. Establishment data, seasonally adjusted : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (bls.gov)
TLDR: $1157.28 per week, measured in July = approx $60178 per annum

Average weekly earnings in Great Britain - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)
TLDR: £651 per week, measured in July = approx £33852 per annum = approx $42992 at today's FX rate

(apologies, I quoted the wrong months in my prior post)

This point would be an odd hill to for anyone die on, considering we can probably all agree that a) the i4 will objectively cost less to run (in fuel) than a V6, regardless of these figures, and b) the cost of running an i4 Emira is probably completely irrelevant to anyone who is an "average" earner. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, don’t think anyone in the position of buying an Emira V6 or i4 is sensitive to the price of gasoline.

I'm impressed you get 36mpg... is that proper brim-to-brim calculation, or the sneaky lying trip computer? 😄

In every single car I've owned, I never seem to be able to get near the hypermiling-like highs that I see people claim. I guess I'm just a neanderthal with lead feet or something...
When you say get.... got once... it was boring so not likely again. But yes that's from the computer so could be telling porkies

• Haha
Reactions: ADC
Does anyone have any figures on the percentage of i4, v6 manual and v6 automatics ordered so far?

No way I am paying $5,000 USD to do a clutch job on a V6 manual .

No thank you
DCT clutches don’t last forever either and will cost more. It’s not all roses with the M139 — all of the integrated oil pump and belt stuff integrated into the engine scares me.

ANY serious work on either engine in the Emira will cost a lot.

Reactions: ADC
And rather late to the party to give my personal preference which is for the i4. I owned a V6 Evora and didn't like the V6 nor the manual gearbox particularly. The V6 ran out of puff far too early and the gear change was notchy. So for those of us who don't think that the V6 manual is the epitome of driving enjoyment, then it may be that the turbo push and ultra fast gear change of the i4 might be more enjoyable (all this is for recreational road driving, not dailying or tracking). I hope it is more rewarding although the review comments are worrying. Bring on the test drive.

It may also be that the 8 speed box/motor combination is not good for manual-paddle change on the road. That's a lot of gear changing to do. It might only work in auto mode. That might also be a fun drive. I had an extended test drive in an Evora slush box auto and found it rather good as a driver's car. No idea why I ended up in a V6 manual!

In summary I was hoping that i4 might be a rather good driver's car, but I guess I'll find out.

And yes, I have wondered whether just getting an A45 would be more fun than the Emira i4!

There's no replacement for displacement; however the title of this thread is unnecessarily negative. The I4 still has its place in the line up and will be a great drive, regardless of the V6. And the prospect of rowdier I4 versions is very exciting, especially the M139L.

And rather late to the party to give my personal preference which is for the i4. I owned a V6 Evora and didn't like the V6 nor the manual gearbox particularly. The V6 ran out of puff far too early and the gear change was notchy. So for those of us who don't think that the V6 manual is the epitome of driving enjoyment, then it may be that the turbo push and ultra fast gear change of the i4 might be more enjoyable (all this is for recreational road driving, not dailying or tracking). I hope it is more rewarding although the review comments are worrying. Bring on the test drive.

It may also be that the 8 speed box/motor combination is not good for manual-paddle change on the road. That's a lot of gear changing to do. It might only work in auto mode. That might also be a fun drive. I had an extended test drive in an Evora slush box auto and found it rather good as a driver's car. No idea why I ended up in a V6 manual!

In summary I was hoping that i4 might be a rather good driver's car, but I guess I'll find out.

And yes, I have wondered whether just getting an A45 would be more fun than the Emira i4!
I definitely think the Emira I4 FE will be both the more enjoyable, better handling, and the vastly more beautiful car (than the A45 S). I have had mine on order since “Day One” and hope it will land in my driveway within the next 6 months.

Apparently the only minor problem with the AMG components (M139 engine and 8G-DCT gearbox) is that the gearbox is software locked by AMG preventing any tuning of the gearbox software. But we can still hope that the collaboration between Lotus and AMG eventually will bring us an update with enhancement. However, I think the recently released reviews, especially ‘Harry & Charlie - Harry’s Garage” shows us that the i4 is more than enjoyable to drive as a sportscar on regular roads (on “B-roads” and other country lanes as well as motorways, autobahns, and autostradas).

The following YouTube video by «hampshirephoto» showing their highly tuned (499.5 hp) A45 S talks about the limitation of not being able to alter the software on its 8G-DCT gearbox. It is therefore educational for us who will take delivery of a Lotus i4 FE.

Last edited:
There's no replacement for displacement; however the title of this thread is unnecessarily negative. The I4 still has its place in the line up and will be a great drive, regardless of the V6. And the prospect of rowdier I4 versions is very exciting, especially the M139L.
How is an M139L going to fit in the Emira?

How is an M139L going to fit in the Emira?
How would a new fuel injection system and electric turbocharger make it not fit?

Edit: a high voltage system is required as well yet those don't weigh very much or include much additional hardware. And even if that version never comes, the 420hp tuned M139 will be a huge step up.

Last edited: