• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I know this will be somewhat controversial.........

You know you guys are all right, to each his own.
Remember I'm just stating my opinion, just as you are all free to State yours.
awe can all thank God that we live in societies where we are free to express our own opinions.
I believe the manual cars will hold their values much more than the automatics.
Just look at what happened to manual Ferraris and Lamborghinis, their prices went through the roof.
If you find two Ferraris today the same year one a manual the other an automatic, you'll probably have to pay a hundred thousand plus more for the manual, that's says something.
My current daily driver is a VW TDI SportWagen automatic, so my logic is why not get something different for my sports car, why get the same old thing.
Remember the old saying "variety is the spice of life."
Anyway, whatever transmission you choose I wish you all much enjoyment.
Peace.

Last edited:
Nor can I. That's why I've sold two of my children, cut the dog out of my will, lied to my wife about the price, and am standing on street corners at night.

Hopefully some of those will help financially, some may not!
You won’t be the only one ☝️ 😆

I think it’s more of a generational choice?
I don’t think you can get manual transmission on video games?
I know Young uns who only want DCT etc. as they love to it drive in a straight line up and down the high street.
Totally agree it’s a generation thing
In fact whenever auto journalists are reviewing a larger group of cars, whenever they get into a car with a manual, they undoubtedly comment "well isn't this great, isn't this a breath of fresh air...a proper manual transmission."
Most real die-hard drivers prefer a proper manual transmission.
That's just the way it is.
Unfortunately, these days most of the younger generation will not even learn how to drive a manual transmission.
Sad, as they don't really know what they're missing.
i dont think that’s strictly true, some still learn to
Nor can I. That's why I've sold two of my children, cut the dog out of my will, lied to my wife about the price, and am standing on street corners at night.

Hopefully some of those will help financially, some may not!
hope you have some warm tights on at night it’s cold out there!

I believe the manual cars will hold their values much more than the automatics.
You won't catch me disagreeing with this point. But I'm buying this for my enjoyment, not an investment :)

we can all thank God that we live in societies where we are free to express our own opinions
Hey hey hey, let's not bring religion and politics into it as well... Nearly as bad as pineapple on pizza! ;)

Last edited:
Definitely controversial to say the least.
I am not physically handicapped (maybe mentally yes).
Why would I be deprived from choosing Auto it that's what I enjoy?
Even if I agree with you, which I do, that manual is more engaging, where I think you go a little too far is in considering that those that choose Auto, for whatever reason they want , should have never have this option with the Emira.
I am 54 and had all kind of cars, both manual and Auto, and enjoyed driving all of them at different stages in my life.
I like seen the comments from the journalists, for pure entertainment and info, but I think anybody should be able to buy for their own decision, and whichever it is, enjoy their purchase, and not being categorize like an idiot only because it doesn't match the Guru´s opinion.
IMHO, it is not healthy to create polemic in this Forum about what Lotus should do in a direction that deprives customers from accessing the car they want.
Where I would agree is in posting whatever option one likes more than other, not generating discussions that can be taken as an offense in any direction.
Enjoy you Manual and let other people enjoy their Auto!
Cheers!
Well said !

Goto minute 11:10 for the Lotus Evora part.
Who would have ever thought in a million years that your run of the mill Toyota Camry engine could ever sound this glorious.
Probably is also a very reliable engine being a Toyota.
It will be interesting to see how the Mercedes engine sounds in the Emira chassis.
From what I've read they are using the 4 cylinder Mercedes engine from the A45 (360hp) and not the full blown engine from the A45 S (416 hp). Any truth to this?

From what I've read they are using the 4 cylinder Mercedes engine from the A45 (360hp) and not the full blown engine from the A45 S (416 hp). Any truth to this?
They are the same engine - the M139 - in different states of tune. Which is why it is going to be *awesome* when my warranty is up :D

582956_1.jpg

I would love a manual transmission. I JUST CANT spend fifteen thousand pounds on that love.
It's not £15K extra for a manual transmission - as far as we know it's about £6K extra for the V6 with the manual box, when compared with a similarly spec'd DCT i4. I'm pretty confident that in today's money UK prices will be something like this...

Manual V6 First Edition = £76K (confirmed)
Auto (IPS) V6 First Edition = £78K (confirmed)
Manual V6 Poverty Spec = £66K
Auto (IPS) V6 Poverty Spec = £68K
Auto (DCT) i4 First Edition = £70K
Auto (DCT) i4 Poverty Spec = £60K

All these prices are 'plus OTR costs' of course. Will anyone actually buy a poverty spec car with NO extras? Will Lotus actually be able to hold true to the promised £60K starting price with a year or so of inflation AND global supply problems to contend with? I'm not sure that the £60K Emira will ever actually materialise - the £76K fully loaded manual V6 could end up looking like a real bargain :cool:

My reasoning for the manual, I did want the dct originally, but I wanted maximum involvement from this car as it’s not our only car. But if it was my sole car I’d want the DCT or Auto. I’ll just have to make sure I don’t break my left ankle again…

It's not £15K extra for a manual transmission - as far as we know it's about £6K extra for the V6 with the manual box, when compared with a similarly spec'd DCT i4. I'm pretty confident that in today's money UK prices will be something like this...

All these prices are 'plus OTR costs' of course. Will anyone actually buy a poverty spec car with NO extras? Will Lotus actually be able to hold true to the promised £60K starting price with a year or so of inflation AND global supply problems to contend with? I'm not sure that the £60K Emira will ever actually materialise - the £76K fully loaded manual V6 could end up looking like a real bargain :cool:

Thank you for the pricing explanation, appreciate it.
I was getting my Canadian pricing info from Lotus's website.
I just hope the prices are firm.
Going with the base Edition, V6 manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220111-155948_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220111-155948_Samsung Internet.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 50
Thank you for the pricing explanation, appreciate it.
I was getting my Canadian pricing info from Lotus's website.
I just hope the prices are firm.
Going with the base Edition, V6 manual.

Mostly educated guesses based on conversations I've had with several 'well connected' UK dealers and a couple of 'very well connected' Lotus employees. Could still be wrong though and these are my UK guesses - sorry but I know nothing about Canadian prices!

To be fair, lotuses are known for their Spartan specs - so bare spec Lotus Emira with the same gorgeous looks and excellent power/handling spec for the need for speed is all I’m after. Anything else are a distraction - for a Lotus it works. For anything else like Porsche it certainly doesn’t, because Porsche has created a culture when poverty spec cars are frowned upon.

Base Spec AMG I4 Touring in Green, Tan interior, silver wheels, alcantara steering wheel and yellow steering centre strip will be just fine for me….. maybe KEF if it’s available. Pure driving joy, my sweet spot Emira…

If I want luxuries or gadgets, I have my daily EV for that.

To be fair, lotuses are known for their Spartan specs - so bare spec Lotus Emira with the same gorgeous looks and excellent power/handling spec for the need for speed is all I’m after. Anything else are a distraction - for a Lotus it works. For anything else like Porsche it certainly doesn’t, because Porsche has created a culture when poverty spec cars are frowned upon.

Base Spec AMG I4 Touring in Green, Tan interior, silver wheels, alcantara steering wheel and yellow steering centre strip will be just fine for me….. maybe KEF if it’s available. Pure driving joy, my sweet spot Emira…

Nice.
If I were you I would really consider
a leather wrapped steering wheel over the Alcantara.
I have personal experience with Alcantara and it doesn't wear well long term, plus requires much more maintenance, brushing etc.
The oils in your hands will eventually cause the wheel to become matted down, and turn shiny in some areas looking really bad.
Unless you plan on driving it exclusively with gloves on, this is an eventuality.
Something to think about.
The only option I'd consider is the black pack, anyone know what that one will cost?

I don't disagree with you, I'm half tempted to wait for a poverty spec i4 myself but...

Green paint will probably be extra cost (say £1200 based on previous Lotus pricing?)
Tan interior will almost certainly be extra cost (plain black cloth anyone?) and may only come as an 'interior pack' (say £2to3K ?)
Alcantara steering wheel is already extra cost and with a stripe - around £400 extra?
KEF will probably be extra cost, a decent installation already is extra, and it might only be available in 'a pack'. (Maybe £1K min for a decent system?)

Let's face it, to achieve £60K you will have to compromise - but it will be a definite bargain!

Nice.
If I were you I would really consider
a leather wrapped steering wheel over the Alcantara.
I have personal experience with Alcantara and it doesn't wear well long term, plus requires much more maintenance, brushing etc.
The oils in your hands will eventually cause the wheel to become matted down, and turn shiny in some areas looking really bad.
Unless you plan on driving it exclusively with gloves on, this is an eventuality.
Something to think about.
The only option I'd consider is the black pack, anyone know what that one will cost?

🤔 exclusively driving with gloves - matching tan leather driving gloves and a tweed cap in Scotland…. What a great idea! That will be my Emira driving outfit! 😆

🤔 exclusively driving with gloves - matching tan leather driving gloves and a tweed cap in Scotland…. What a great idea! That will be my Emira driving outfit! 😆
Glad you agree with me.😉

I don't disagree with you, I'm half tempted to wait for a poverty spec i4 myself but...

Green paint will probably be extra cost (say £1200 based on previous Lotus pricing?)
Tan interior will almost certainly be extra cost (plain black cloth anyone?) and may only come as an 'interior pack' (say £2to3K ?)
Alcantara steering wheel is already extra cost and with a stripe - around £400 extra?
KEF will probably be extra cost, a decent installation already is extra, and it might only be available in 'a pack'. (Maybe £1K min for a decent system?)

Let's face it, to achieve £60K you will have to compromise - but it will be a definite bargain!
I hope your joking about the cloth interior.
Paying over $100,000 for a car you would expect a nice leather interior.
I just hope the base seats are full leather, and not leather with Alcantara or other fabric inserts.
If so I hope they offer a no cost option for full leather, like Porsche does.
Leather wears so much better, does not absorb sweat or odors like cloth/Alcantara.
Spill a drink on leather just wipe it up, spill a drink on fabric/ Alcantara...going to need a vacuum upholstery cleaner.
I owned a 2005 Boxster for 10 years and when I sold it the seats looked showroom new.
I did use a great product to keep them up called Lexol.

I hope your joking about the cloth interior

I'm guessing that 'Technical Fabric' means black cloth inserts (in place of Alcantara), with maybe some leather on the bolsters etc? I really can't see us getting full leather on a Base £60K car?

1641942864896.png

Attachments

• 1641942565604.png
    1641942565604.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Will be a daily driver/only car, and in heavy traffic each of those days, so I'm getting the DCT.

Back