• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I know this will be somewhat controversial.........

I've owned multiple manual cars and enjoyed them. I intentionally purchased an automatic Evora GT because I did not want another manual car; period. If auto was not available, I would not have purchased the Evora. I enjoy and drive it more because it is not a manual.

You should buy an Ariel Atom. Your definition of driving experience will change once again and it will change again after you swallow your first love bug.

Will be a daily driver/only car, and in heavy traffic each of those days, so I'm getting the DCT.

I've owned multiple manual cars and enjoyed them. I intentionally purchased an automatic Evora GT because I did not want another manual car; period. If auto was not available, I would not have purchased the Evora. I enjoy and drive it more because it is not a manual.

You should buy an Ariel Atom. Your definition of driving experience will change once again and it will change again after you swallow your first love bug.
I'm well ahead of you my friend.😉🤣😜
In 2007 I purchased an Ariel Atom, kept it for 7 years enjoyed every minute of it.
I agree with you, it's the most visceral, multiple sensory Driving Experience you can have legally on the road, and that's why I'll be choosing a manual transmission in the Emira.
For me, the more involvement the better.
I kinda wish the Emira came with a removable top like the Exige did, for an even more visceral experience.

Attachments

• IMG_2988.JPG
    IMG_2988.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 53
  • CP2_0654 (Large).JPG
    CP2_0654 (Large).JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 59
  • West coast Atom Adventure 020 [1024x768].JPG
    West coast Atom Adventure 020 [1024x768].JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 56
Well, the thread title certainly checks out.

Yup. So your position is "you should only ever get a manual, unless you need or want an automatic". Got it. :)

Don't take this the wrong way, but... give me a break, lol :) ... I doubt there would be funding for a last hurrah car if it wasn't designed for markets where a smaller displacement engine and DCT were required/expected.

It's all well and good to celebrate the man-machine connection, driving involvement, etc, that comes with a manual, but I'd say it is a bridge too far to wish that others should actively be deprived of the chance to enjoy a fine ICE sports car. Relax, e

I feel that the main reason someone were to purchase a sports car is not for basic transportation from a to b, because that can be done in far less expensive, more practical cars.
They buy sports cars for the simple fact that they love driving.
It's the journey rather than the destination that is most important.
Anyway, that being said most sports cars, especially in the case of the Emira, are going to be second or third cars.
So my question is, if getting a sports car is for pure driving enjoyment and not utilitarian transportation, why in the world would anyone buy an Emira with an automatic transmission, makes no sense to me.
Isn't the whole point of a sports car driver involvement, driver engagement, driver control of the car, and most importantly driver fun.
An automatic takes away so much of those attributes, making the driving much less of an event, and isn't that why we buy sports car...for the driving event it provides?
Manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird, you can't get them in Lamborghinis or Ferraris, McLaren's, Audis and others.
When Porsche took away the manual transmission in the 2014 GT3 there was outrage.
I'm sorry, but I just think buying a sports car without 3 pedals makes no sense at all, unless the person is physically handicapped, or has to commute in ungodly traffic on a daily basis, otherwise get the manual.
I kinda wish Lotus would have made the last of their internal combustion sports cars strictly with a manual transmission for the genuine purists, those who love to drive without a destination in mind.
Sad to think that in probably 10 years there will be no manuals produced, let alone any cars with great sounds from an internal combustion engine and all we will be left with is electric cars that hum around the streets driving us autonomously without any driver involvement at all.😢
This video kind of summarizes my point.

I feel that the main reason someone were to purchase a sports car is not for basic transportation from a to b, because that can be done in far less expensive, more practical cars.
Anyway, that being said most sports cars, especially in the case of the Emira, are going to be second or third cars.
So my question is, if getting a sports car is for pure driving enjoyment and not utilitarian transportation, why in the world would anyone buy an Emira with an automatic transmission, makes no sense to me.
Isn't the whole point of a sports car driver involvement, driver engagement, driver control of the car, and most importantly driver fun.
An automatic takes away so much of those attributes, making the driving much less of an event, and isn't that why we buy sports car...for the driving event it provides?
Manual transmissions are going the way of the dodo bird, you can't get them in Lamborghinis or Ferraris, McLaren's, Audis and others.
When Porsche took away the manual transmission in the 2014 GT3 there was outrage.
I'm sorry, but I just think buying a sports car without 3 pedals makes no sense at all, unless the person is physically handicapped, or has to commute in ungodly traffic on a daily basis, otherwise get the manual.
I kinda wish Lotus would have made the last of their internal combustion sports cars strictly with a manual transmission for the genuine purists, those who love to drive without a destination in mind.
Sad to think that in probably 10 years there will be no manuals produced, let alone any cars with great sounds from an internal combustion engine and all we will be left with is electric cars that hum around the streets driving us autonomously without any driver involvement at all.😢
I think I recall 80% of 2020 Porsche 911 sold were AT. Mfg going to go with the market.

"You should buy an Ariel Atom. Your definition of driving experience will change once again and it will change again after you swallow your first love bug."

Looks like I got the last laugh my friend.
It's all good.

I think I recall 80% of 2020 Porsche 911 sold were AT. Mfg going to go with the market.
I would guess that figure is probably closer to 90%, at least here in North America.

🤔 exclusively driving with gloves - matching tan leather driving gloves and a tweed cap in Scotland…. What a great idea! That will be my Emira driving outfit! 😆
I won't be in Scotland, but I already have my Jim Clark re-issue leather driving gloves, and a tweed cap. I have a black Lotus jacket in case I need one. Got my Lotus thermal bottle for coffee. I also have several watches that would be period correct, including a Nina Rindt Panda Face inspired watch, a Orifina inspired watch (like Andretti wore). The watches aren't expensive, they look good and tell time, just what I need a watch to be and do. Oh and of course, Foster Grant sunglasses.

Just need my Emira.

Attachments

• J.C.63 gloves.png
    J.C.63 gloves.png
    250.6 KB · Views: 59
  • Dan_Henry_1962_Racing_Chronograph_Panda_No_Date_1000x.png copy.png
    Dan_Henry_1962_Racing_Chronograph_Panda_No_Date_1000x.png copy.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Dan_Henry_1972_Chrono_Alarm_Black_1000x.png copy.png
    Dan_Henry_1972_Chrono_Alarm_Black_1000x.png copy.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 65
I wanted the manual but the high cost of the v6 in Europe put me off (same as gt4). I drive a c63 (auto) and a 1987 e30 325i manual and ride a Ducati Supersport. I enjoy driving both, and obviously riding is another level of engagement but honestly for hard driving I prefer paddle shifts these days, it’s one less thing to screw up and if you’re moving fast that’s definitely a good thing. On a bike the gears are critical but even that has a quick shifter so you don’t need to clutch. Manual cars are always lots of fun and naturally can be argued more involving, but for me (and I think the European market generally) the i4 amg engine and transmission (bearing in mind emissions) will be way more attractive to most buyers. In an exige / élise these are more hardcore propositions where the manual makes sense but this is a different car for a different type of buyer (Mercedes/Porsche/BMW background for example)

Last edited:
I wanted the manual but the high cost of the v6 in Europe put me off (same as gt4). I drive a c63 (auto) and a 1987 e30 325i manual and ride a Ducati Supersport. I enjoy driving both, and obviously riding is another level of engagement but honestly for hard driving I prefer paddle shifts these days, it’s one less thing to screw up and if you’re moving fast that’s definitely a good thing. On a bike the gears are critical but even that has a quick shifter so you don’t need to clutch. Manual cars are always lots of fun and naturally can be argued more involving, but for me (and I think the European market generally) the i4 amg engine and transmission (bearing in mind emissions) will be way more attractive to most buyers. In an exige / élise these are more hardcore propositions where the manual makes sense but this is a different car for a different type of buyer (Mercedes/Porsche/BMW background for example)
A fair position. Referencing the original maverick1 post about being controversial. Welcome the views and ability to share but I think it’s fair to say the balanced view is equal for manual vs auto/IPS. I’m sure we will all enjoy the pleasure and being fortunate enough to buy our Emira’s. Hopefully the debate can conclude and we move on to discussions around our experience of owning and driving our cars. Although I’ve pushed my FE back so will be an early base edition owner which I’m not sure was the right decision!

You know you guys are all right, to each his own.
Remember I'm just stating my opinion, just as you are all free to State yours.
awe can all thank God that we live in societies where we are free to express our own opinions.
I believe the manual cars will hold their values much more than the automatics.
Just look at what happened to manual Ferraris and Lamborghinis, their prices went through the roof.
If you find two Ferraris today the same year one a manual the other an automatic, you'll probably have to pay a hundred thousand plus more for the manual, that's says something.
My current daily driver is a VW TDI SportWagen automatic, so my logic is why not get something different for my sports car, why get the same old thing.
Remember the old saying "variety is the spice of life."
Anyway, whatever transmission you choose I wish you all much enjoyment.
Peace.
Not sure I agree having spoken to the Lotus HQ team at Hethel. Mr Scott Walker who I believe is a very credible reference point. The Emira is being marketed and sold as a GT as well as track weapon. Their view (not mine) is residuals won’t be impacted if you have auto vs manual.

Not sure I agree having spoken to the Lotus HQ team at Hethel. Mr Scott Walker who I believe is a very credible reference point. The Emira is being marketed and sold as a GT as well as track weapon. Their view (not mine) is residuals won’t be impacted if you have auto vs manual.
I can’t see how it’s both a GT and a track car, the spec is obviously road biased. A track version may follow, but they need to do more than stick some sport cups on it 😂

Manuals are very much for the emotion of physically be in control of the whole car, will all four limbs being involved in getting it round a bend….. but in real life, excellent DCTs are more effective and keeps your hands on the wheel more and this allow more focus on the road/track - prob why most racing cars are paddle shifts or sequential shifts. Reliable 400bhp from a 2.0T, that’s witch craft! Probably best that I focus on the windy road ahead without having to worry about heel toe in that case 😂 . The best would be a sequential manual - I hope someone brings out a kit for the Emira!

Personally, I love the idea of an AMG engined Lotus more than a Toyota engined one, as I want the most advanced ICE technology for my last forever ICE car - emissions and efficiencies will keep it future proof I hope. As it only comes with DCT and it saves me £15k too - win win in my books.
Agreed and far more in keeping with Mr Chapmans concept of getting more from less....... M139 is the TRUE essence of Lotus.... shame its 360 as opposed to 386bhp..... but with DCT and both hands on the wheel you may only see the Neanderthal's in your mirror ;):ROFLMAO:

I can’t see how it’s both a GT and a track car, the spec is obviously road biased. A track version may follow, but they need to do more than stick some sport cups on it 😂
I suspect that’s why they offer 2 suspension setups (touring and sports) which will have different characteristics on the road and track. Agree it’s not an Exige but I’m sure it will hold it’s own with Michelin Cup 2 rubber and a firmer suspension set up. All will be revealed when it gets tested by Harry and others

I would not have considered the Emira if it didn't come with a manual transmission.

I would not have considered the Emira if it didn't come with a manual transmission.

Hypothetical question if you couldn't get a manual would you test drive an I4 DCT or is it simply manual or nothing?

if getting a sports car is for pure driving enjoyment and not utilitarian transportation, why in the world would anyone buy an Emira with an automatic transmission, makes no sense to me.
Each their own. I know a lot of people who love and ride a sportscar for daily commuting. Auto can be very comfortable. My daily 991.1 is PDK and it is absolutely brilliant in what it does. Supersmooth in traffic and city, mindblowingly fast shifts when pushing it. Would never change it for manual as it does 95% of my driving.

For the weekend, yes I take my manual GT3 991.2...and love every bit of it. Yet if one car would have to go...it would be the GT3 manual.

Actually very simple! My Emira will be manual btw.

Each their own. I know a lot of people who love and ride a sportscar for daily commuting. Auto can be very comfortable. My daily 991.1 is PDK and it is absolutely brilliant in what it does. Supersmooth in traffic and city, mindblowingly fast shifts when pushing it. Would never change it for manual as it does 95% of my driving.

For the weekend, yes I take my manual GT3 991.2...and love every bit of it. Yet if one car would have to go...it would be the GT3 manual.

Actually very simple! My Emira will be manual btw.

I am ordering a manual Emira (for now at least, I am in BASE camp so anything could change). My view is the opposite because my STI DD is a manual. I love shifting around town but on the weekends when I hit the mountains I enjoy an Auto just as much and it's a welcome change. My view, if you have one sports car, manual. More than one sports car, well, doesn't everyone love Neapolitan ice cream?

I've owned manuel cars, I loved driving them. But I opted for an automatic because...

1. I don't want to have to deal with paying to replace the clutch (every 15k-30k miles) in an exotic foreign ICE car that isn't going to be built anymore. Parts will be hard to come by
2. The gear changes in the automatic are way faster than any human could ever do
3. More output to the wheels
4. Launch control
5. Traffic where I live is extremely heavy (very impatient drivers) and I don't want to have to deal with hydraulic steering at low speeds, a heavy clutch, AND a heavy gear stick in a expensive car
6. Paddle shifting gives me the sensation of driving a manuel without the wear on the transmission and is more like actual race cars.
7. I REALLY wanted the yellow notch in the steering wheel

Look, I get it. But the world is moved on from manuel cars, it's moving on from ICE cars. We all have our preferences and you get to select yours as I get to select mine. With respect to your preference choose what you love. I selected what I did based on what I wanted my driving experience to be. If you fancy the manual go for it.

Back