• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

I know this will be somewhat controversial.........

I don’t get the automatic bashing? A decent Auto sequential and DCTs are far more efficient way to change gears and way faster, not to mention their ability to handle more torque….. just let people choose their spec and be grateful we all like different specs…..

V6 /i4 / Auto / DCT / Manual…… it’s totally up to ourselves….. my car my ride my spec. :)

Clutch change…. I believe Evora clutch change… is a pain in the backside

I don’t get the automatic bashing? A decent Auto sequential and DCTs are far more efficient way to change gears and way faster, not to mention their ability to handle more torque….. just let people choose their spec and be grateful we all like different specs…..

V6 /i4 / Auto / DCT / Manual…… it’s totally up to ourselves….. my car my ride my spec. :)

New autos are a technical tour de force! I just can't get past the noise they make.... 😁 #lazyshifts

Hypothetical question if you couldn't get a manual would you test drive an I4 DCT or is it simply manual or nothing?
Manual or nothing, yeah. I would've considered the I4 if it had a manual option since that engine has much more potential, though.

I've owned manuel cars, I loved driving them. But I opted for an automatic because...

1. I don't want to have to deal with paying to replace the clutch (every 15k-30k miles) in an exotic foreign ICE car that isn't going to be built anymore. Parts will be hard to come by
2. The gear changes in the automatic are way faster than any human could ever do
3. More output to the wheels
4. Launch control
5. Traffic where I live is extremely heavy (very impatient drivers) and I don't want to have to deal with hydraulic steering at low speeds, a heavy clutch, AND a heavy gear stick in a expensive car
6. Paddle shifting gives me the sensation of driving a manuel without the wear on the transmission and is more like actual race cars.
7. I REALLY wanted the yellow notch in the steering wheel

Look, I get it. But the world is moved on from manuel cars, it's moving on from ICE cars. We all have our preferences and you get to select yours as I get to select mine. With respect to your preference choose what you love. I selected what I did based on what I wanted my driving experience to be. If you fancy the manual go for it.
I gave the flappy paddles a fair chance when I bought my Nissan GTR. I felt so disconnected from the car I would have to watch the tach to know when to shift. I got zero enjoyment from pulling the paddles and ended up just driving around in full auto mode. I traded the GTR for a gated R8 for this reason. So much more connection to the car. I have sworn to never buy a paddle car again no matter how fast. Just my personal experience, I have no issue with anyone that enjoys paddles.

Last edited:
Lotus service book time to change the Evora clutch was 30 hours, as it needs rear clam removal. But many dealers and indies have worked out quicker methods and will do it for a fixed price. Emira has a bigger engine bay and panels not clam, so should be simpler.

Still not cheap, but other running costs are low and Evora clutches are still going strong at 50k, 75k and over 100k miles in several cars.

Last edited:
Lotus service book time to change the Evora clutch was 30 hours, as it needs rear clam removal. But many dealers and indies have worked out quicker methods and will do it for a fixed price. Emira has a bigger engine bay and panels not clam, so should be simpler.

Still not cheap, but other running costs are low and Evora clutches are still going strong at 50k, 75k and over 100k miles in several cars.
What is not cheap amount to? My R8 was $10000 which was not cheap!o_O

What is not cheap amount to? My R8 was $10000 which was not cheap!o_O
Wow, that's "not cheap". Fixed price is around £3000 inc taxes from an indie. The parts are a few £100s so if you have the right equipment and skills it's doable by a competent DIYer. There are some step by step videos of people doing it.

Believe it or not, I actually find manual a bit distracting from my driving enjoyment while I could do the same thing better and faster with paddle shifters.

Drove both stick and auto for over 2 decades, and moved away from stick in the past 5-6 years.

Back