• We are conducting our first ever Lotus Emira of the Month for May 2024. This will be a monthly contest and will be submissions from users, voted for by the membership. Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 May 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

i4 versus V6 sound … from Goodwood ….. OR NOT :(

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Here’s the sound comparison

Nimbus Grey i4 and Hethel Yellow V6. The i4 sounds good and better than I was expecting. The V6 sounds great and I prefer it, but they’re both good.

It’s only an iPhone video but I think gives a good impression of the differences.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Pretty sure this was the v6, I saw it on the stream and the head on shots clearly shows the supercharger bypass actuator.

1689260128141.png

Last edited:

KAR120C

Get off my lawn!
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Pretty sure this was the v6, I saw it on the stream and the head on shots clearly shows the supercharger bypass actuator.

View attachment 29029

View attachment 29029
Hmmmm....I see what you're saying. When I watched the stream, though, the commentators clearly were talking about it being the new I4. Confusing for sure.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Hmmmm....I see what you're saying. When I watched the stream, though, the commentators clearly were talking about it being the new I4. Confusing for sure.
Yeah, they were clearly wrong on the live stream, this was the Nimbus after the badass Defender.

Better shot, you can see the supercharger silver casing, the black supercharger cover, and the actuator.
1689260615393.png

CHEESE

Emira Fan
Reaction score
In one of the videos in the Goodwood thread, you can clearly tell that the nimbus car is being manually shifted, so it's definitely a V6.

kitkat

Emira Degenerate
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Honestly I think they only have ONE i4 at goodwood, the black one. Hopefully they drive it?

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
Yes, it looks like the commentator notes were wrong. I’ve only seen one i4, the black one on the stand. All the other ones in the paddocks are V6. But there are loads here and they could have another i4 somewhere else.

There is definitely supposed to be one going up the hill, as I asked first thing today for a ride in one and was told all the i4 passenger slots were allocated to media and Geely VIPs.

OP
TomE

TomE

Staff member
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
They just did a “Lotus moment” with several Lotus F1 cars, an Emira and an Eletre.

At the top of the hill they interviewed the Emira driver and he confirmed his was an i4. That was Stealth Grey not Nimbus.

I’ve got video of the whole group but after the sound of the F1 cars the Emira sounds silent, so not really a fair comparison.

Yachtie

Emira Fan
Reaction score
I was told by the driver of the DV car that they had no i4 running up the hill today. All 4 in shot were V6 as I looked through all the rear view windows.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpeg
    IMG_1168.jpeg
    420.2 KB · Views: 108

clonalejandro

Emira Fan
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
Please read the rest of the thread :) they made it sound incredible by adding two more cylinders.
I understand then that it is a confusion and that neither of the 2 was an i4, right?
The truth is that it surprised me a bit, it would be strange for the V6 to sound less

Tokion

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira on order
I was watching a segment of the YouTube streaming where a group of various Lotus cars, including a dark color Emira, had completed a run. The driver who drove the Emira was interviewed (see the first of the two attached photos) and he clearly said that this particular Emira was an I4 (visible in the second photo; but it was NOT driven by the driver being interviewed in that photo.). Later too I saw this “procession” of Lotus only cars crossing the finish line. However, there was no chance of getting any particular impression of the sound of the I4. It was drowned out by the noise from the other cars and other background noise.

(I realize now that TomE has written basically the same thing; so thank you for confirming what I independently had identified by watching the YouTube stream. The mystery (lack of) sound continues 👂👂🎶)

Attachments

• IMG_7670.jpeg
    IMG_7670.jpeg
    257.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_7669.jpeg
    IMG_7669.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: