I'm out - the cancellations thread

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure you visually confirmed where you were in the range? It doesn't matter in a turbo but here it does.
Do you mean, 'am I sure I went to the red line?'. If so, then yes.

But as for my other comment, I am sure no one actually knows what blasting off the line feels like and probably wont for a while!
Agreed! But I'm not sure any manual, RWD car is going dazzle anyone, off the line. Well, not in the UK anyway as it's wet most of the time 😂

Emira did not give me £80k of excitement, exhaust whining and acceleration disappointing. Thought the screen and finishing quality not on point. Liked the BMW interior better and when I put my foot down I went back in the seat, something I didn’t get with the Emira.
I also think 🤔 my an auto convert after have autos for years so sticking to what I know and works for me. It’s just a w/e car so very happy it has enough for me for £30k less with more practically.
No denying the Emira looks absolutely fantastic but it was about the drive for me. I’m not near a dealer so the issues that some of the early cars have had was also a concern.
I think that is a fair assessment and I wish you luck and excitement in your new car. I am sure that what you are looking for in a car a M240 fits the bill nicely.

A friend of mine moved from an Exige 350 to a M240 and loves it. So we’ndone and the angst of the Lotus Emira saga can be parked. But I guess in a year or two when the I4 comes around, you may reconsider, by then a change maybe on the cards and joining the Lotus club could be back on. Good luck and Merry Xmash
Your reasons are valid. But please, can we use should have, would have, may have instead of should of, would of and may of?

Please! Even as a non native speaker it's just wrong. Rant over.

Purple is a great color though.
you should experience the varied and unique colloquialism of the British Isles. There are some areas that you will not understand the terms that are used. The North East is a real interesting and deserving festive of English.

I worked in Germany some 20 years ago, the directors employed a planner from - an area of the British Isles that I will not state where. All three Directors two Austrians and a German - asked if my companion was speaking English, I could understand but they had no clue of what he was saying. English is such a challenge but is unique as the World language. In the North East we say Me car not My car - me Husband etc get my point.

You are grammatically correct, but you have to understand the area.

My wife's X3 M40i crushes my F80 from 0-30mph. The straight line competition shouldn't be in Emira's owners mind.

Do those of you with turbo'd cars routinely brake torque / use launch control off the line? If not, you're at least 1 sec slower than the quoted 0-60 without the hard launch.

I think that is a fair assessment and I wish you luck and excitement in your new car. I am sure that what you are looking for in a car a M240 fits the bill nicely.

A friend of mine moved from an Exige 350 to a M240 and loves it. So we’ndone and the angst of the Lotus Emira saga can be parked. But I guess in a year or two when the I4 comes around, you may reconsider, by then a change maybe on the cards and joining the Lotus club could be back on. Good luck and Merry Xmash

you should experience the varied and unique colloquialism of the British Isles. There are some areas that you will not understand the terms that are used. The North East is a real interesting and deserving festive of English.

I worked in Germany some 20 years ago, the directors employed a planner from - an area of the British Isles that I will not state where. All three Directors two Austrians and a German - asked if my companion was speaking English, I could understand but they had no clue of what he was saying. English is such a challenge but is unique as the World language. In the North East we say Me car not My car - me Husband etc get my point.

You are grammatically correct, but you have to understand the area.
Thanks! I need more practice with the UK NE then. I work a lot of Aussies and Kiwis and it took me a while just to understand them!

Do those of you with turbo'd cars routinely brake torque / use launch control off the line? If not, you're likely at least 1 sec slower than the quoted 0-60 without the hard launch.
Mine is a manual...no launch control.

Mine is a manual...no launch control.
Same rule applies, auto or manual. Unless you're dropping the clutch at 2500-4000 rpm, you're going to lose at least 1 sec off the 0-60 waiting for the turbo to spool, which isn't the case for the Emira. Turbos over-perform on acceleration tests / feel vs. the real world.

Last edited:
Same. It definitely felt a bit slower than my M2 Comp which was 200kg heavier and 405bhp and I didn't think that was particularly fast, especially in manual guise.
It's fast enough for the road for sure, but the way it delivers the power is not very exciting. I'm sure a 3rd cat delete and remap will help address that aurally and in sensation as you get closer to the redline.
I just wanted it like that out of the box
I'm sure you're right but I kind of resent the idea of paying nearly $100k for a car then having to shell out a few thousand more to make it deliver the power it should have in the first place, not to mention voiding my warranty. Hard pass for me!

I'm sure you're right but I kind of resent the idea of paying nearly $100k for a car then having to shell out a few thousand more to make it deliver the power it should have in the first place, not to mention voiding my warranty. Hard pass for me!
That’s why the c8 appeals to me. Lowering springs, AWE tour exhaust, forged wheels BAMM good to go. I have $20k in go fast mods on my TT, exhausting at this point.

I think I can comment on everyone's experience. Unless one got the chance to WOT the Emira all the way to redline, either confirmed visually by the tach or by bouncing off the rev limiter, then they left some beans on the table.

I haven't posted yet but I had (EDIT) my test drive this past weekend, Sports on Goodyears. I should have time by the end of the week to give a review.

I don't understand the power/acceleration experiences. I understand a lot of people have more experience than me but I spend a fair amount of time putting 93 octane gas in cars. And this is not the fastest car I have driven. First my rep was driving 60 MPH through curvy back roads, talking and shooting the breeze, and I literally had to look at the speedometer to see how fast we were going. I wasn't shifting in my seat AT ALL. That simply blew me away, I had no sense of how fast we were going. After the test drive, I then immediately drove the same route in my STI and it was all I could do to reach 50 MPH and I was at my limit and my STI was certainly throwing me around.

I was then told to have fun and shift around 6000 RPM. I was told to just leave it in 2nd or 3rd and to not shift a lot because it isn't necessary. I felt the car was 3200LBS, 400HP fast. I wasn't really paying attention to when the engine came alive I was just trying to stay on the road and weave in and out of traffic. A lot of 0-60 depends on launch and gearing. In terms of rolling speed I went from 25 MPH to 70 MPH quickly. It felt like a 3200LBS, 400HP car with tremendous handling.

And yes, I was at WOT at least a dozen times.

Personally I’d much rather look down thinking I’m hauling ass and seeing a LOWER number on the speedo. My Miata did this. My 17 Audi TT does this. Better to feel fast, not go fast on the street.

Last edited:
Personally I’d much rather look down thinking I’m hauling ass and seeing a LOWER number on the speedo. My Miata did this. My TT does this. Better to feel fast, not go fast on the street.

Understood. Different cars do it in different ways. Just to point out, I wasn't driving so my feel was different than if driving and the road was super smooth. It had actually just been paved. In essence it was a momentum car in its natural element and at its best. No acceleration or deceleration in and out of turns just speed, a truly unique feel, at least for me.

Personally I’d much rather look down thinking I’m hauling ass and seeing a LOWER number on the speedo. My Miata did this. My TT does this. Better to feel fast, not go fast on the ON

You must mean an Audi TT? I was sitting here thinking, he has a 911 TT and has a lower number on the speedo than it feels?

I absolutely know I'll think the Emira is slow coming from a 911 TTS. Not sure I'll like it much, tbh. I remember test driving the MX-5 ND RF when it first came out. The sales guy said...well did you have fun? I said, not really.

I like that "push you into your seat" feel. My Z06 had it. My TTS has it. I'm not sure I could go back. Been sitting on the fence pondering for a while now. Not willing to throw in the towel quite yet, but some days....

Hopefully the warranty will remain if using official Lotus parts and enhanced tune (if they're ever actually made available).
It would be nice to think Lotus would support that. Then again it would be nice to know when to expect a car..:)

Understood. Different cars do it in different ways. Just to point out, I wasn't driving so my feel was different than if driving and the road was super smooth. It had actually just been paved. In essence it was a momentum car in its natural element and at its best. No acceleration or deceleration in and out of turns just speed, a truly unique feel, at least for me.
Not arguing I LOVED it:)

I like to give props to people when they do right and here's to Nikki at EurocarOC who, after talking me off the fence once promptly credited my deposit back to my card on my final decision to cancel. I'm bummed but I'm thinking this is the best for 2 reasons: first I get to retire $3k in credit debt and second if I decide I still want an Emira later on it might be "debugged" and have the power upgrades everyone is talking about...:)

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back