Intermittent failure to start

This temporary fix is directly from the software developer of the Emira, directly from the factory in Hethel, which I visited. It is only for the intermidient starting failure in connection with the engine warning light. Not for any other issues like infotainment problems and so on. There is a connector of a harness under the steering wheel. When the steering wheel is pushed in too much and too low some pins at the connector loose connection. The engine warning light comes up because of the starting failure. The harness will be recalled soon. In my case it stopped the proplem totally for now, and after thinking about it I could recall that I indeed changed the steering position a couple of days earlier.
The ones who have this problem should give it a try. It does not harm.
I just try to help by telling what helped on my car. Since I left the factory in Hethel and drove all the way back to Munich over several days because of detouring a bit to Wales, France, Luxembourg and so on.
The problem did not occur anymore.

Are all the Emiras starting now or why is there no complain anymore?
:)

As mentioned in another thread and shown in the handbook this issue was saved for me by following the below....

When the remote control key is positioned by the back up reader in the front cup holder make sure that there are no car keys, metal objects or other electronic devices also ib the cup holders. (such as mobile phones or chargers) Devices close together by the back up reader may cause interference with each other.

Even if you have another set of keys in your pocket next to the cup holders this can cause an issue.

I have had the start issue many times but since following the above NO Start issues at all.

As mentioned in another thread and shown in the handbook this issue was saved for me by following the below....

When the remote control key is positioned by the back up reader in the front cup holder make sure that there are no car keys, metal objects or other electronic devices also ib the cup holders. (such as mobile phones or chargers) Devices close together by the back up reader may cause interference with each other.

Even if you have another set of keys in your pocket next to the cup holders this can cause an issue.

I have had the start issue many times but since following the above NO Start issues at all.
If that was the case the car would complain about the key not being able to be detected. Doesn't fit the general not starting issue at all.

If that was the case the car would complain about the key not being able to be detected. Doesn't fit the general not starting issue at all.
Wouldn’t this be the software glitch that won’t allow it to start unless the car can connect to some server? As another member put it, it needs to connect to the mothership before it can start lol

Wouldn’t this be the software glitch that won’t allow it to start unless the car can connect to some server? As another member put it, it needs to connect to the mothership before it can start lol
Thats all random theories that don’t really add up. Right now the consensus is some control module doesn’t wake up or doesn’t respond fast enough so the starting procedure gets stuck / canceled. The whole locking / opening the door / waiting procedure aims at getting the modules in order again

Last edited:
It’s not a random theory it’s in the user manual lol

And it worked for me.

Anyone having this issue there is no harm in trying it.

Be good to get some feedback.

I have this issue. Only thing that works is locking the doors (no need to exit the car), wait 20 seconds, then open again and start the car. Emira is in for a service so i've raised the problem with the dealer but not hopeful of a fix. They said to keep the key out of the cupholders, but that's made no difference at all.

I have had this issue twice in the past week, so still happening. Mine has the latest software as it was a 6/8/24 delivery and dealer said it is part of the PDI to update the software.

Last edited:
There are 2 non start issues I've experienced, the parking brake issue warning where the break pedal goes stiff (V6 Auto)
and the keys in cup holder issue.

Ive only had the parking brake issue warning once, I just locked the car came back 20 minutes later and I've never seen it again.

With the key in cup holder issue you need to be careful you don't have keys in your pocket or anything metal next to the cup holder as this can still cause the issue.

I tried adjusting the steering wheel placement to test; no dice

Back