• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

is Emira a SuperCar?

In the year(s) of its manufacture, it doesn't qualify as "super", I'm not going to go around saying I drive a "supercar", but I absolutely buy the whole 20-years-ago-this-was-super angle, and "would have had this posted on my bedroom wall as a kid" as a metric for desirability... that is totally where my head is at in wanting this car :D

I don't like the phrase "baby supercar" since it sounds like a car that is not meant to be taken seriously.
I'd call it a sports car.

I would consider a 992 Turbo a super car. Mordern lambos and ferraris too. Mainly due to horsepower.

But I would consider 992 Carrera and Carrera S a sports car (becuse their power isn't supercar level ).

How I define it? I am not sure. haha.

But here is my best definition of supercar:

Basicaly when a car is so powerful its a bit ridiculous.

Also they have a lot of modern tech in them like electronic steering, real wheel steering, etc.
They are also huge (too big in my opinion).

A supercar is very capable but I believe a sports car is more connected.

Thats just my definition though.

Very much agree and it's very subjective. I think the whole notion of "super car" is that it's clearly too much. More than you need, more than you can handle. But you do because you can. It's a flex.

I've always considered Lambos and Ferraris the classic super cars. The classic flex. Looks, feels and costs a bit too much.

I kind of orient around that.

Porsches are the "reasonable" choice. They are spectacular sports cars. Although some of their special models start to fit the flex category and thus the super car moniker.

Hypercars are just bananas and represent the insane income disparity we have in the world today :) I mean super rich guys have to flex too and a Lambo is just not going to cut it.

The Emira is a sports car dressed up as a super car. This is actually what's so appealing about it. I always thought it would be a good idea to own an older Ferrari with a 6-speed, maybe a 360 or 430. But how much would it cost to maintain and would it just be too ridiculous to drive on a regular basis? Enter the Emira.

Very much agree and it's very subjective. I think the whole notion of "super car" is that it's clearly too much. More than you need, more than you can handle. But you do because you can. It's a flex.

I've always considered Lambos and Ferraris the classic super cars. The classic flex. Looks, feels and costs a bit too much.

I kind of orient around that.

Porsches are the "reasonable" choice. They are spectacular sports cars. Although some of their special models start to fit the flex category and thus the super car moniker.

Hypercars are just bananas and represent the insane income disparity we have in the world today :) I mean super rich guys have to flex too and a Lambo is just not going to cut it.

The Emira is a sports car dressed up as a super car. This is actually what's so appealing about it. I always thought it would be a good idea to own an older Ferrari with a 6-speed, maybe a 360 or 430. But how much would it cost to maintain and would it just be too ridiculous to drive on a regular basis? Enter the Emira.

I am a Porsche dude. I've had black or silver 911s.
I like that they're understated, but, I am not gonna lie, I like some looks.

My emira will be nimbus. I want some flash.... I guess.. but I like the understated look.
I feel most supercars cannot be understated.

I actually feel the emira can be undestated in calm colors like nimbus, verdant, or dark colors.
I also think since its smaller car it has less of a presence.. and I actually like that.

I hope its not too flashy.

To me its always about class vs flash. Its a fine line.

Im def not a yellow lamborghini guy

Sorry maybe I am going off topic here.

Last edited:
There’s a car club in the UK for supercar that open up to additional manufacturers for specific cars, including the Emira.

With respect, I think it's "wishful thinking" to classify the Emira as a "supercar" since it's not:

1. SUPER fast
2. SUPER expensive
3. SUPER elite (since quite a few people can afford to own and MAINTAIN one; its lower expected maintenance means it can be a daily driver, unlike how most super car owners use their rides...recognizing Lotus may have some bugs to work out, but a Toyota engine should be relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain, unlike, for example, the US$5,000.00/year I'm told it costs for Ferrari spark plugs alone: parts and labour)
4. SUPER rare (since I expect over time and if Lotus realizes its dream, there will be quite a few on the road or certainly ++ more than Lambos or Ferrari's or McLarens)

That said, it has gorgeous lines/looks that are reminiscent of a "super car" and it has nice cornering ability, making it a fun sport car to drive, especially with a stick. Never having driven one but having read or watched most of the reviews, here's hoping I'll feel the same!! My 2 cents.

Today I topped up my (now) non-refundable deposit...so I'm committed to the Emira and hope to drive a test vehicle in a month or two, and I'm told my Emira should arrive in July or August but I take that with a grain of salt, given the history so far. Good luck to all of us in N. America and getting CARB certification soon!

3. SUPER elite (since quite a few people can afford to own and MAINTAIN one; its lower expected maintenance means it can be a daily driver, unlike how most super car owners use their rides...recognizing Lotus may have some bugs to work out, but a Toyota engine should be relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain, unlike, for example, the US$5,000.00/year I'm told it costs for Ferrari spark plugs alone: parts and labour)
4. SUPER rare (since I expect over time and if Lotus realizes its dream, there will be quite a few on the road or certainly ++ more than Lambos or Ferrari's or McLarens)
Sorry, I don't agree with this. Lotus cars are extremely rare compared even to Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. Both of those brands likely have an order of magnitude more cars currently on US roads than Lotus does. It's not even close.

Thanks Porter and I respect your contrary opinion. As indicated in my post, we'll see if Lotus puts a lot more of its more "user-friendly, daily driveable" Emira's on the road, compared to prior Lotus models, which could then surpass what's on the road for comparable year production supercars. Maybe I'm optimistically thinking the Emira will strike a cord with auto enthusiasts and prove to be one of the most popular Lotus models, especially since it's the "last of its kind" with an ICE power plant and stick.

For the longest time, I thought GT-R was the gate keeper of the supercar segment.

But ever since the term "hypercar" was coined, I think the concept of supercar got much broader, much like in my industry a 28 year old can be a "vice president".

In my view, to qualify as a supercar (but not a hypercar), the Emira has to meet the following criteria:

1. Over $100K price tag -- check;
2. Flashy/exotic/futuristic looks -- check;
3. Exceptional power and speed -- don't know where things really stand in the era of EVs but the Emira is borderline.

So I won't get mad at you whether you call it a supercar or non-supercar. Afterall it's just a name.

Attachments

• 498ddce5-7621-4267-a0e8-e65a8f54e62d_text.gif
    498ddce5-7621-4267-a0e8-e65a8f54e62d_text.gif
    216.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
The title is “super”
I know. But the Emira is pretty much the definition of a sportscar (lightweight, 2 seats, driver-focused, midpriced). I don’t think it qualifies as a supercar at all, even though it looks as good as many of them.

I am a Porsche dude. I've had black or silver 911s.
I like that they're understated, but, I am not gonna lie, I like some looks.

My emira will be nimbus. I want some flash.... I guess.. but I like the understated look.
I feel most supercars cannot be understated.

I actually feel the emira can be undestated in calm colors like nimbus, verdant, or dark colors.
I also think since its smaller car it has less of a presence.. and I actually like that.

I hope its not too flashy.

To me its always about class vs flash. Its a fine line.

Im def not a yellow lamborghini guy

Sorry maybe I am going off topic here.
I also prefer class to flash. Also like to be a bit niche with my preferences and not always main stream. Prefer that some people don’t get it, that’s ok. That’s why the emira fits so well. To the casual viewer the numbers are just not that impressive, yawn worthy. To the enthusiastic driver, the combination is a rare experience.

Higher end Porsches in mundane colors also fit this profile. You could have a 911R and most people would say nice Porsche. And well if you want the flash you always got the GT variants or maybe the exhaust on sports mode. 😀

For the longest time, I thought GT-R was the gate keeper of the supercar segment.

But ever since the term "hypercar" was coined, I think the concept of supercar got much broader, much like in my industry a 28 year old can be a "vice president".

In my view, to qualify as a supercar (but not a hypercar), the Emira has to meet the following criteria:

1. Over $100K price tag -- check;
2. Flashy/exotic/futuristic looks -- check;
3. Exceptional power and speed -- don't know where things really stand in the era of EVs but the Emira is borderline.

So I won't get mad at you whether you call it a supercar or non-supercar. Afterall it's just a name.

I’ve never owned a Lotus previously but have mates that have owned Elise, Exige and esprit cars, but never considered them a supercar.
Pre this thread I didn’t either but I’m now veering towards they are the lowest priced car that scrapes into the category.
Price - well over $100k doesn’t mean much to me because I don’t think cars like the Ferrari 488 (one of my favourite ever cars) is worth anywhere near their price. If Lotus sold the Emira for $250k with a limited run of 500 would they be more of a supercar?
Handling- on the road it’s right up there for sure and I think a supercar should be good on the road as well or it’s just an exotic track car.
Power- means nothing these days when for £70k you can drive a modded Audi or BMW that eats s.upercars. Plus we are forgetting on the road Lotus said it was enough power and after a 4 hour test drive in a 488 I can believe that and the difference is down to driver ability.
Looks - I think we can all agree it’s way better than anything else $150k and probably higher. The Caymans and GTRs are great cars but nowhere near as exotic looking.
Engines- I used to think V8s were a must in a supercar but with more being fitted with V6 engines you could argue at least the V6 fits the bill, although it won’t be long before there is another 3 cylinder hybrid supercar like the i8 but way more powerful.
Rare - I agree with the comments they will stay rare as Lotus won’t spend tons of money to build up the facility to mass produce a car with a few years left and no ice car replacement. Besides Hethel is in the middle of nowhere and it’s not an easy task to find suitable staff to even double production. Lastly this is Lotus we are talking about and by the time they would be ready fossil fuels would have already ran out. 😂

Baby supercar. I actually think its looks, V6 and performance make it a spiritual successor to the Dino.

In fact, put a Dino badge on it and a prancing horse on the steering wheel hub and it would sell out at a quarter million. And all the issues would immediately be forgiven.

I think it is, once a car can do things most cars cannot, then i think of it as a super car.

Should my 190hp Lotus Elise be consider an exotic or a super car? It can do things the guys in the corvettes cannot do at the track or autocross. Wink wink.

A true exotic? Maybe, The Evora is probably more of an exotic than a Huracan just based on numbers of units sold and not looks.

I guess supercar means something different to everyone. For me, it has to have exotic looks/designs, is very rare, expensive (>$200k), and fast for the times (mid 3-seconds 0-60) - all of these things. The Emira is just not that expensive and the performance is just shy of the mark.
Not that expensive to who? lol

Not that expensive to who? lol

It's just not that expensive to people who would be buying supercars like Ferraris and Lamborghinis. I agree it's an expensive car for the general population, but those people are not buying supercars. I see some notes here and there about people stretching to afford an Emira, or needing to borrow money to make their finances work. It's not my place to talk about these specific cases, but my general contention is that for people that can responsibly afford a $200k-$300k car, a $100k car is just not that expensive.