JayEmms latest speculation

Link about heat problem please
Posted July 25, 2021................
Snorkel...: So, any thoughts about heat management of this turbo engine?
TomE........:
Russell Carr said heat management was a key design challenge and I think they're well aware of the heat-related issues and limitations on Evora, particularly the constraints it placed on upgrading power.
There's some discussion elsewhere that this is why the bulkhead between cabin and engine bay has been moved forward to give more engine bay space at the expense of less rear cabin space compared to Evora. The side scoops, whilst referencing the Evija design, are also much larger than the Evora ones.

wtf are you smoking?

how about less than 1000% of that number? where the hell did you get that number?

I assure you that with 12 per dealership per year, and less the past year, that number is not millions. wtf?
LOL I think you were adding the 718 to end of his total.

Not that it's completely relevant to the conversation but it is their closest competition.

Porsche US Sales​

718 Boxster/Cayman​

Or, 28182 718 Boxster/Caymans' in roughly the same time period Lotus hopes to be able to sell the Emira. If lotus can approach those numbers world wide then the car is a raging success. Theoretically they can produce that many but when we get to the 2025 + model years they need to have variants or you can watch those numbers go down steadily.

Not that it's completely relevant to the conversation but it is their closest competition.

Porsche US Sales​

718 Boxster/Cayman​

Or, 28182 718 Boxster/Caymans' in roughly the same time period Lotus hopes to be able to sell the Emira. If lotus can approach those numbers world wide then the car is a raging success. Theoretically they can produce that many but when we get to the 2025 + model years they need to have variants or you can watch those numbers go down steadily.
they wont go down in the slightest. the demand is 9 month wait when normally it was a four month wait. most people are waiting one year solid for one. and they have been making them for 25 years, just cannot produce enough of them. Pending retarded EU rules that no one wants aside from the soy crowd, the demand for a sub 3100 lbs pretty sports car with manual transmission is pretty infinite.

Posted July 25, 2021................
Snorkel...: So, any thoughts about heat management of this turbo engine?
TomE........:
Russell Carr said heat management was a key design challenge and I think they're well aware of the heat-related issues and limitations on Evora, particularly the constraints it placed on upgrading power.
There's some discussion elsewhere that this is why the bulkhead between cabin and engine bay has been moved forward to give more engine bay space at the expense of less rear cabin space compared to Evora. The side scoops, whilst referencing the Evija design, are also much larger than the Evora ones.
But... doesn't the quote you've clipped specifically call out that they designed Emira with heat management in mind, and describe several reasons why we should expect heat not to be so much of an issue?

I'm sure thermals are a challenge, but I'm not so convinced that they are the reason for the FE i4 de-tune (lest we forget they happily advertise a higher state of tune for the China market, where the V6 was not originally due to be released). Smells like basic market segmentation to me 🤷‍♂️

they wont go down in the slightest. the demand is 9 month wait when normally it was a four month wait. most people are waiting one year solid for one. and they have been making them for 25 years, just cannot produce enough of them. Pending retarded EU rules that no one wants aside from the soy crowd, the demand for a sub 3100 lbs pretty sports car with manual transmission is pretty infinite.
My comment was about Emira production declining, not the 718, which, BTW will be put to rest in 2025.

I am sure Lotus will come out with a slight tweak to the i4 power in time.

I doubt that will make much difference to residuals.

Owners of the original (me) will always be able to take it to a tuner and boost the bloody thing to 500bhp if thats a priority. It won't be. Power bragging rights have never been a Lotus 'thing'. Unlike Porsche.

The fact is that most owners and buyers will want things like sound, tractability, linearity, response, reliability and robustness way way way over peak power numbers. Personally I love the idea of having a car engine slightly detuned from 410bhp to 360bhp. I am an airline pilot and it always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that my CFM56 is tuned to give me 27,000lbf when the exact same engine on other aircraft are tuned to issue 31,000lbf. Its a margin on a margin. It means it's fairly care free even when you thrash it for an extended period. Its a nice feeling for longevity if you intend to keep it rather than rent it.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back