Jethro addresses 'the review'

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere. Just catching up with my EVO reading and saw Jethro addresses the claims of Porsche bias and corruption!
I think he just called YOU šŸ‘Š a nutter
šŸ˜…
20220703_102908.jpg
20220703_102847.jpg
20220703_102854.jpg

Last edited:
The millennium falcon

Iā€™d settle for anything right now. Just give me a &;Ā£:-;/ car!!!!

Jethro is aligned to Sutcliffe, Catchpole & Meaden. On the other side we have Harry & Harris (not driven the later press car). They all know their stuff. Harry & Harris are also both very sentimental towards Lotus.

Thatā€™s 4-2 in the ā€˜Emira doesnā€™t steer as well as previous Lotus cars of the past 20 yearsā€™ camp.

Given its 3 months of more since those cars were built (and production cars not finished yet) then there must be some chance that Lotus have addressed the handling/damping points?

On the other hand 90% of the time 90% of us wonā€™t notice the handling/dampingā€™ opportunitiesā€™. But these are THE Lotus qualities that matter, arenā€™t they?
How many of the thousands of customers that are in the queue for the Emira, have the driving experience with all the different models of cars that Jethro, Catchpole, Harry, Harris, etc. have? Those guys are an extreme minority in that regard, due to what they do for a living. I would bet the vast majority of Emira customers will be quite happy with the handling of the Emira, especially if it's their first Lotus. How many people even bother to check to see if their tire pressures are properly set? The average person's driving experience and habits are quite different from the leading-edge hardcore types. The expectations and perceptions of highly experienced vehicle testers doesn't really carry over to the average driver, other than if there's something seriously off with a car.

The Emira is going to be the first Lotus to reach customers outside of their hardcore base, and that's a good thing. It means Lotus will finally be making the kind of money it needs to stay in business and grow.

How many of the thousands of customers that are in the queue for the Emira, have the driving experience with all the different models of cars that Jethro, Catchpole, Harry, Harris, etc. have? Those guys are an extreme minority in that regard, due to what they do for a living. I would bet the vast majority of Emira customers will be quite happy with the handling of the Emira, especially if it's their first Lotus. How many people even bother to check to see if their tire pressures are properly set? The average person's driving experience and habits are quite different from the leading-edge hardcore types. The expectations and perceptions of highly experienced vehicle testers doesn't really carry over to the average driver, other than if there's something seriously off with a car.

The Emira is going to be the first Lotus to reach customers outside of their hardcore base, and that's a good thing. It means Lotus will finally be making the kind of money it needs to stay in business and grow.
Absolutely agree with you. Hence my 90% / 90% point. Lotus have a great hit on their hands

Flawed in what way, and for what purpose? It's a street sports car designed for a price point of Ā£59,995. What were you expecting?
It's a brutal comparison and not really a worthy one, but it's like a modern day TVR. You forgive any faults as it's so beautiful, even tho it has an old school brute of an engine and interesting interior.
Don't forget you can buy flawless cars for Ā£60-80k.
I'm not even considering looks in my purchase decision so maybe not as blinkered as some who have the Emira on their shopping list

Car reviews are generally pointless crap in my experience

Iā€™m always drawn to cars reviewers say are flawed, but I love

z4M coupe, Aston vantage, Nissan 350z

Reviewers would turn their nose upā€¦. I would just grin from ear to ear each time I drove em

It's a brutal comparison and not really a worthy one, but it's like a modern day TVR. You forgive any faults as it's so beautiful, even tho it has an old school brute of an engine and interesting interior.
I'm not even considering looks in my purchase decision so maybe not as blinkered as some who have the Emira on their shopping list
Flawless is a VERY high standard. Just out of curiosity, what flawless cars are you referring to in that price range?

Flawless? Not with my criteria!

Flawless is a VERY high standard. Just out of curiosity, what flawless cars are you referring to in that price range?
OK flawless is over doing it. But modern and less compromised. Take your pick from any of the big names. I'm not knocking the Emira, but you can't be too blinkered as to what your 80k is getting you

OK flawless is over doing it. But modern and less compromised. Take your pick from any of the big names. I'm not knocking the Emira, but you can't be too blinkered as to what your 80k is getting you
Iā€™ve been doing that but thereā€™s still a lot of expensive used 4 out of 5 cars with little to no warranty. I canā€™t believe that second hand base 992s are still 80 odd grand.

My money is going to get a car that looks spectacular, has a strong supercharged V6 that sounds great, a manual transmission, a chassis from a company that's legendary for their chassis setups, and a decent interior with the comforts and conveniences that will make it a fun car to drive anywhere. I'm not blinkered at all; I know exactly what I'm getting and why.

Iā€™ve been doing that but thereā€™s still a lot of expensive used 4 out of 5 cars with little to no warranty. I canā€™t believe that second hand base 992s are still 80 odd grand.
Yup the used market hasn't been kind to purchasers the last two years. Why the Emira does still look like value as a new car alternative and we shoud all be thankful we have the opportunity to own one if we wish (and I am, no matter how my objective posts come accross lol)

Yup the used market hasn't been kind to purchasers the last two years. Why the Emira does still look like value as a new car alternative and we shoud all be thankful we have the opportunity to own one if we wish (and I am, no matter how my objective posts come accross lol)
True, and being the one and only Mr. Grumpy Pants does carry the burden of maintaining at least some semblance of street cred. Mr. Happy Pants just doesn't have the same vibe to it.

My money is going to get a car that looks spectacular, has a strong supercharged V6 that sounds great, a manual transmission, a chassis from a company that's legendary for their chassis setups, and a decent interior with the comforts and conveniences that will make it a fun car to drive anywhere. I'm not blinkered at all; I know exactly what I'm getting and why.
That's perfectly fine of course and I'm genuinely pleased that your pleased.
Everyone is going to be different in regards to their requirements and assessments however. And there is no skirting around the fact that this brand new 2022 model car has a 15 year old drivetrain and that is pretty rare if not unheard of this side of the pond

Everyone is going to be different in regards to their requirements and assessments however. And there is no skirting around the fact that this brand new 2022 model car has a 15 year old drivetrain and that is pretty rare if not unheard of this side of the pond
Like one of those reincarnated classics everyone craves.

I canā€™t find anything Iā€™d take over the emira at a similar price point

Cancelled my cayman gts depositā€¦ f-type and tt rs didnā€™t do it for meā€¦ canā€™t think of anything else

Iā€™d like to point out that while 99% of us are not pro drivers, that doesnā€™t mean automakers shouldnā€™t make the best cars they can make. Heck, a Cayman GTS or GT4 is much more capable than what most of us can do, but they still make them that way, and we still love them. So I donā€™t want to hear that we should be looking for lower standards vs pros because if so, we should all be driving GTIā€™s since it is more than capable.

I agree.

The Lotus attention to detail on ride and handling is an example - probably 90% wouldnā€™t tell the difference between the 120 tyre compounds Gavan and his team have tried. But Iā€™m reassured that they did and decided two were the most suited to the Emira.

They couldā€™ve just stuck some Michelin Pilot Sports on and most people would have been happy.

Last edited:
Don't forget that some of us are totally skirting around that fact by not getting the crusty old drivetrain... Just sayin :)

Iā€™d like to point out that while 99% of us are not pro drivers, that doesnā€™t mean automakers shouldnā€™t make the best cars they can make. Heck, a Cayman GTS or GT4 is much more capable than what most of us can do, but they still make them that way, and we still love them. So I donā€™t want to hear that we should be looking for lower standards vs pros because if so, we should all be driving GTIā€™s since it is more than capable.
I personally think that Lotus are actually sticking to the ethos of 'For The Driver', because as you say, most of us (not me included šŸ˜‚) are not pro drivers!!

I still find it interesting that people even compare the Porsche GT4 to the Emira. I had a 981 GT4 for 2 years and whilst it was a brilliant car I ultimately sold it because it was not really suitable for road use IMO. You could drive anywhere in the first 2 gears, including the motorway if you were mad enough, and around any typical UK country roads you'd struggle to use 4th gear because the real power band of the car was over 6k RPM.

The Emira won't be racing RS3's off the lights but for any driving enthusiast, I would imagine and hope that it'll offer the best mix of driving pleasure and B Road compliance that would make the ideal set up for actually enjoying a car rather than bragging rights or drag times.