• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

JUBU cooling upgrade 2GR

hugopanec

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am looking for a solution to slightly decrease engine bay heat and possibly run the engine a few degrees cooler. If I drive in the city for an extended time, I usually get the engine-reduced acceleration error.

Do you think those 2 products from JUBU could be a good solution and also do you think they would be okay with the warranty? Thanks :)

Thermostat Upgrade: https://www.jubu-performance.com/en/shop/part-jubu_kuehlungsupgrade_2grfe-2305
+
Hose Kit Upgrade: https://www.jubu-performance.com/en/shop/part-jubu_ladeluftkuehlung_upgrade_kit-2562

These changes are very low cost, but I'm a little nervous about the reliability of that thermostat - however irrational my fear may be.

Also, what would be required to install all of this. Engine out?

These changes are very low cost, but I'm a little nervous about the reliability of that thermostat - however irrational my fear may be.

Also, what would be required to install all of this. Engine out?
I would say that JUBU makes some very quality parts, at least everything I had from them so far.

Changing those parts should be an easy 30-minute job.

Hello guys,

I am looking for a solution to slightly decrease engine bay heat and possibly run the engine a few degrees cooler. If I drive in the city for an extended time, I usually get the engine-reduced acceleration error.

Do you think those 2 products from JUBU could be a good solution and also do you think they would be okay with the warranty? Thanks :)

Thermostat Upgrade: https://www.jubu-performance.com/en/shop/part-jubu_kuehlungsupgrade_2grfe-2305
+
Hose Kit Upgrade: https://www.jubu-performance.com/en/shop/part-jubu_ladeluftkuehlung_upgrade_kit-2562
Do you have the i4 or the V6? There's something wrong, your car shouldn't be overheating like that. Is the cooling fan in the front working properly? I'd have the dealer check this out. They can check the fault codes which should let them know what's causing this.

I would say that JUBU makes some very quality parts, at least everything I had from them so far.

Changing those parts should be an easy 30-minute job.
It would take me 30 minutes just to put on some music, get my head lamp, lay out the tools, grab a drink, put on gloves, decide I want a different play list, bathroom trip, and.... decide it's lunch time.

Do you have the i4 or the V6? There's something wrong, your car shouldn't be overheating like that. Is the cooling fan in the front working properly? I'd have the dealer check this out. They can check the fault codes which should let them know what's causing this.
I have the V6, the car is not overheating, it is pretty normal to all the emiras, just want to reduce the temperature in the boot by a few degrees. Other than that my coolant temperature does not get over 90c.

Oh, okay I see what you mean. I got some heat reflect material that I'm going to put on the bottom of the boot area, not in the boot, but underneath, just above the muffler. I'll have to get under the car and remove the muffler to do it, but that's one of two possible remedies. I have a laser thermometer and I'll measure the temp in the boot after I do this to see what it says. I've already done a baseline reading, and with the car fully warmed up, outside temp was 61°F, the temp in the boot was 83°F.

The material I got reflects 98% of the heat, so that should eliminate virtually all the heat coming up from the muffler. If the temp in the boot is still high, or higher than I would like, that means I'll need to put heat reflect mat on the front of the boot enclosure too, the part that faces the engine.

I'll let you know what the results are, and post them in my project journal thread Adding Lightness.

Oh, okay I see what you mean. I got some heat reflect material that I'm going to put on the bottom of the boot area, not in the boot, but underneath, just above the muffler. I'll have to get under the car and remove the muffler to do it, but that's one of two possible remedies. I have a laser thermometer and I'll measure the temp in the boot after I do this to see what it says. I've already done a baseline reading, and with the car fully warmed up, outside temp was 61°F, the temp in the boot was 83°F.

The material I got reflects 98% of the heat, so that should eliminate virtually all the heat coming up from the muffler. If the temp in the boot is still high, or higher than I would like, that means I'll need to put heat reflect mat on the front of the boot enclosure too, the part that faces the engine.

I'll let you know what the results are, and post them in my project journal thread Adding Lightness.
Good luck! I would also try the product I linked earlier since it opens the thermostat a bit earlier and should keep the overall engine temperature a bit lower, prolonging the lifespan of the components.

Pretty sure if you open up the coolant hoses and remove the thermostat you need to rebleed the system which requires a special vacuum bleeder tool. Never done a Lotus (yet) but on Porsches they can be a real PIA to get right. Suspect its no where near a 30 min job.
Also if lower the thermostat even 10-20 degrees I doubt that would even lower the bay/boot heat any. I think most of the bay and boot (trunk) heat is coming from the exhaust/muffler anyway.

Pretty sure if you open up the coolant hoses and remove the thermostat you need to rebleed the system which requires a special vacuum bleeder tool. Never done a Lotus (yet) but on Porsches they can be a real PIA to get right. Suspect its no where near a 30 min job.
Also if lower the thermostat even 10-20 degrees I doubt that would even lower the bay/boot heat any. I think most of the bay and boot (trunk) heat is coming from the exhaust/muffler anyway.
Ah, makes sense, thank you for the feedback!

.... just want to reduce the temperature in the boot by a few degrees.
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, but I think your exhaust is going to make sure that boot temps stay where they are, regardless of engine coolant temp.

There's heat shield material there from the factory, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

Aerie muffler.jpeg

I got some of this stuff: https://www.secondskinaudio.com/heat-insulation/mega-block which I'm going to put above and behind the muffler and the 3rd cat (this pic shows the delete pipe is there).

I have the V6, the car is not overheating, it is pretty normal to all the emiras, just want to reduce the temperature in the boot by a few degrees. Other than that my coolant temperature does not get over 90c.
I wish I had a oil cooler instead of just a water temp gauge. When oil gets cooked it takes a lot longer for the temps to lower compared to water.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back