Looking for Floor Mats for the Emira

orange

Reaction score
I would like to put protective mats in my Emira. I have checked WeatherTech and others and I can't find any for sale. Has anyone found some to buy? Or have you found something which fits closely or is best to buy and trim to fit?

Received the Witamats front floor mats today, that I ordered May 8: I selected the less expensive “black and red luxury custom car mats”. Expect I would have received them sooner, but Witamats contacted me May 10 to say the set they made for someone else didn’t fit, so they were retooling the mats. Then contacted me May 11 and said their design team was working on it and they expected to have it figured out in a week or two. Keep in mind I’m in Canada so mailing time was longer compared to others who are closer. A bonus was the mats arrived w/o me being assessed any cross-border duty. An added bonus (now that I've driven the car) is that there's a slight noise reduction in the cabin, due to the thick leather mats.

I ordered and paid for both the 2 front mats and the matching rear trunk mat, but didn’t get the rear mat. I’ll follow-up to see if it was shipped separately or simply missed.

It took some effort but they did fit and I’m very happy with the look. I’ve never had mats that cover so much area (the sides and most of the door sill) making it look like a custom interior. Note: the mats stayed in place while moving the seats front and back, so no problem there.

Some niggly points which may concern others (not me; again I’m pleased with these mats, like the look and recommend them to anyone else who likes the look):

1. The original mats have 2 holes in each, which mate to 2 “pegs” that stick up from the floor, when pressed down onto each peg. I’ve had the same set-up in many of my other vehicles. I’d not paid attention to the OEM mats and was surprised to see the pegs, when others complained about the OEM plastic screws which didn’t seat well into the floor, so people have been purchasing metal replacement screws which supposedly work better to keep the mats on the floor. There must be 2 different ways these OEM Emira mats sit on the floor (my "pegs" and a screw system). Anyway, the Witamats don’t have holes so they sit over top of the pegs. However the mats don’t move, the bump created by the peg isn’t that noticeable, and I suppose water sitting on top of the Witamats could drain through any holes, had they made holes. Not a big deal for me.

2. Some of the Witamat backing had a Velcro-like way of attaching to the Emira carpet, making install more fun. However some of the Witamat didn’t attach flush to the carpet at a few edges, w/o that Velcro effect. The downside to “all Velcro” would have been making install ++++ more difficult with every piece of the Witamat sticking to the carpet while trying to man-handle it in. The upside would have been a flush fit to all edges. That said, it may take a couple days for the Witamats leather to mould itself to the Emira curves, especially since it was mailed out in a tight bundle with its edges squished out of shape. Regardless, if the loose edges remain I’ll simply use double-sided tape in a few spots, to snug it up to the carpet.

3. The passenger side has a small storage pocket close to the stick shift area, with a mesh net. The Witamats covers that up. That either eliminates the pocket or makes it difficult to use: someone could pull the mat away and place something in the pocket. But IMO it's a small pocket and not all that functional and cutting the Wimamat lower to expose the pocket, would have made the mat look odd in that area.

This post is long enough so I’ll post photos separately. Hope you don’t mind the detail but I’ve been contacted by other Forum members asking about these Witamats.

PS: I forgot to mention the mats came with a plastic bag (see photo below) containing a number of plastic tear-drop shapes with a hole in each, some hard plastic “round thumb-tacks” that were obviously meant to press into the holes to connect the tear-drop shapes to the mat, some double-sided tape, and NO directions. The website install videos provided directions. Mats normally come with the thin tear-drop shapes attached strategically on the edges, so they can be slid under vehicle plastic mouldings near the edges of the mats, to better tether the mats. My mats came with none installed, suggesting Witamats hadn’t figured out where to put these “tear-drop wedge pieces” on the mats, for the Emira. Anyway, my mats went on OK w/o using any plastic wedges. Finally, they did forget my Emira trunk mat and asked me to take and send photos of my trunk. So it seems like they’re still figuring out the Emira trunk dimensions. Witamats responds promptly so I’m confident I’ll get my trunk mat.

IMG_1255.jpeg

Last edited:
Now for some photos, starting with the OEM mats with holes and showing the connecting “peg” that sticks up:

Attachments

• IMG_1227.jpeg
    IMG_1227.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    203.6 KB · Views: 43
Some loose edges (one shows the left foot rest, with my hand pulling aside the mat and another photo showing it partially covered by the mat) and the covered passenger side pocket:

IMG_1234.jpegIMG_1229.jpegIMG_1228.jpeg
IMG_1216.jpeg

Note: this morning I applied double-sided tape to the loose edge areas and, as expected, that cleaned them right up.

Hope this will prove helpful to others. Cheers!

Last edited:
Awesome thank you! Placing an order now

Sorry Bimmernate but I'm going to "revisit" my positive Witamats review in my post #41 above on this thread. I'm downgrading it to a "50/50"and here's why:

a) they advertise having the Emira custom mat set (cabin and trunk);
b) after paying for what they advertised, they emailed to say an Emira customer told them the fit wasn't right. They asked me to take photos for them however I pointed out I didn't have my Emira at that time. They said they'd figure it out in a few weeks, then send me the mats;
c) I received the cabin (front 2) mats, only, but w/o any of the thin plastic tear-drop "wedges" attached, like the other mats they sell. Instead, they sent a bag with them inside, so they must not have known where those "wedges" were needed and left it up to me to figure it out. No big deal, since the front mats fit well and I used a few pieces of double-sided tape in 2 areas to create a snug fit;
d) after pointing out they failed to send the rear trunk mat, they asked I take and send them photos of the trunk area. I obliged;
e) they then asked I cut out a paper shape (dimensions not specified), using "A4 paper" (whatever that is) and place it "just so" then take another photo;
f) at this point I refused, pointing out I felt like an unpaid member of their design team. I asked they send me a proper trunk mat, or refund the US$89.95 I'd paid for it. I also suggested they find an exemplar Emira or see one at their local Lotus dealer (located in Costa Mesa, Calif. which is where they're from, according to their Website);
g) they responded, asking for more time and saying they were dealing with other Emira owners about the trunk mat. So they're likely looking for others to provide them with information which will allow them to fabricate it.

On the one hand, I can understand their challenge since the Emira isn't a common vehicle, however I don't think they should falsely advertise a product they don't have...then after receiving payment, expect customers to do their leg-work so they can create it. I do like the mat design, so I'll give them more time to figure this out, otherwise I'll never match what's in my trunk, to what's in my cabin area.

That said, this is a heads-up for Forum members who might be interested in their mats and I think I owe it to the Forum to amend my previous review. It's best to wait for someone to verify that Witamats has figured out the proper dimensions, before placing your order. I say this since I'm happy with their front mats and they've certainly been responsive to all my emails, so I don't think they'll leave me high and dry on the trunk mat...and expect they'll send me a refund upon request.

Sorry Bimmernate but I'm going to "revisit" my positive Witamats review in my post #41 above on this thread. I'm downgrading it to a "50/50"and here's why:

a) they advertise having the Emira custom mat set (cabin and trunk);
b) after paying for what they advertised, they emailed to say an Emira customer told them the fit wasn't right. They asked me to take photos for them however I pointed out I didn't have my Emira at that time. They said they'd figure it out in a few weeks, then send me the mats;
c) I received the cabin (front 2) mats, only, but w/o any of the thin plastic tear-drop "wedges" attached, like the other mats they sell. Instead, they sent a bag with them inside, so they must not have known where those "wedges" were needed and left it up to me to figure it out. No big deal, since the front mats fit well and I used a few pieces of double-sided tape in 2 areas to create a snug fit;
d) after pointing out they failed to send the rear trunk mat, they asked I take and send them photos of the trunk area. I obliged;
e) they then asked I cut out a paper shape (dimensions not specified), using "A4 paper" (whatever that is) and place it "just so" then take another photo;
f) at this point I refused, pointing out I felt like an unpaid member of their design team. I asked they send me a proper trunk mat, or refund the US$89.95 I'd paid for it. I also suggested they find an exemplar Emira or see one at their local Lotus dealer (located in Costa Mesa, Calif. which is where they're from, according to their Website);
g) they responded, asking for more time and saying they were dealing with other Emira owners about the trunk mat. So they're likely looking for others to provide them with information which will allow them to fabricate it.

On the one hand, I can understand their challenge since the Emira isn't a common vehicle, however I don't think they should falsely advertise a product they don't have...then after receiving payment, expect customers to do their leg-work so they can create it. I do like the mat design, so I'll give them more time to figure this out, otherwise I'll never match what's in my trunk, to what's in my cabin area.

That said, this is a heads-up for Forum members who might be interested in their mats and I think I owe it to the Forum to amend my previous review. It's best to wait for someone to verify that Witamats has figured out the proper dimensions, before placing your order. I say this since I'm happy with their front mats and they've certainly been responsive to all my emails, so I don't think they'll leave me high and dry on the trunk mat...and expect they'll send me a refund upon request.
Thank you for the update! I actually happened to only place an order for the front mats, so good to hear those are working well for you. Once all the experimentation is done on the trunk mat I’ll likely get that too. I completely agree with you. If you are going through all that work they should discount the trunk mat or just give it to you for free. They advertised that they had the mats which they clearly don’t. Sorry you are going through that! Thank you again for the update and photos you provided

Thank you for the update! I actually happened to only place an order for the front mats, so good to hear those are working well for you. Once all the experimentation is done on the trunk mat I’ll likely get that too. I completely agree with you. If you are going through all that work they should discount the trunk mat or just give it to you for free. They advertised that they had the mats which they clearly don’t. Sorry you are going through that! Thank you again for the update and photos you provided
Does any member know of a rubber all weather mat set being sold ?

Maybe I shouldn't be so critical of Witamats. At least they're making the effort to figure out mats for the Emira, whereas others may never bother w/o enough Emira's being made. For anyone interested, Witamats doesn't have a rubber mat but their regular mats look to be fairly robust...and they do have a "winter-type mat option" available, as an upgrade: they put a smaller mat on top of their regular mat, with that mat supposedly better able to withstand moisture and road crud (see their website). However as a fan of the Weather-tech mats and their tray design, they're certainly more bullet-proof when it comes to trapping moisture and being easier to hose off and clean.