• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Advanced Performance - new division announced focusing on bespoke vehicles and customer experiences

Image-16-9.jpg

From Lotus media release today:
  • New ‘special operations’ team from Lotus, delivering halo projects, limited editions and unique content for customers
  • Enticing new image hints at an exciting future project
  • Experiential elements include Lotus Driving Academy and tours of the revitalised advanced production facility in Hethel, Norfolk
  • Simon Lane joins Lotus as Director, Lotus Advanced Performance, to lead the team
Introducing Lotus Advanced Performance, a new division of the business dedicated to delivering thrilling bespoke vehicles and world-class customer experiences.

It is another significant development in the ongoing transformation of Lotus from a UK sports car company to a global performance car business and brand. An enticing new image of a rear wing from Lotus Design hints at an exciting future project.

The portfolio of services that Lotus Advanced Performance will offer includes:
  • Halo projects – ultra-exclusive and unique vehicles that expand the Lotus product portfolio in exciting new directions
  • Limited editions – exclusive high-spec and highly desirable versions of Lotus cars, allowing customers to stand out from the crowd
  • Bespoke – personalise your Lotus car with exclusive colours, trims and materials
  • Experiential – from tours of the new £100m Hethel sports car and hypercar production lines to ‘money can’t buy’ opportunities all around the world, activities to enable customers, fans and partners to experience the Lotus brand
  • Lotus Driving Academy – expert tuition at the wheel of a Lotus at locations around the world, including the iconic Hethel test track in Norfolk
  • Motorsport – starting with the Emira GT4 race car, Lotus Advanced Performance will support and deliver lightweight competition cars to customers around the world
  • Options – exclusive extras for your Lotus
  • Accessories – a broad range of Lotus Advanced Performance products and brand merchandise ‘For The Drivers’
All programmes are being led by Simon Lane, Director, Lotus Advanced Performance, who has joined from the bespoke 'Q by Aston Martin' business.

Simon commented: “I have always been a Lotus fan, and this has to be one of the most exciting roles in the automotive industry right now – a blank sheet of paper and the opportunity to launch a completely new division at the world’s most ambitious car brand. The LAP team and I have some fantastic and truly innovative ideas with very broad appeal, for Lotus fans young and old to those in search of unique experiences and collectible opportunities.”

He added: “Working in tandem with the hugely experienced Lotus Design team, and colleagues in our engineering teams around the world, we are going to build the most exciting and exclusive Lotus cars, embracing our exciting electrified future while also honouring our illustrious past.”

Matt Windle, Managing Director, Lotus Cars, commented: “With high-profile success in leading the delivery of bespoke vehicles and world-class customer experiences, Simon Lane is the perfect person to lead Lotus Advanced Performance. This new division is an exciting addition to our business and another key element of our Vision80 transformation.”

He added: “With the Emira and Evija starting production in the coming months, Lotus Advanced Performance is another significant opportunity to enhance our brand and communicate direct with customers.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Any info on how this program will be available in countries other than UK?

It sounds really interesting. There are so many "extras" missing on the Emira. Where is the carbon fiber pack people? :)

Okay, some people are really upset at how things are at the moment, and I get it. I want a car too. I'm #46 at Park Place Lotus and they're only getting 45 cars, so there will have to be some drop-outs for me to get a car which my salesman says he believes will happen, but there's no guarantee.

Which brings up something else, and I hope nobody takes this the wrong way. A deposit is not an order. A deposit is with the dealer, not the factory, and it does not trigger the scheduling system at the factory to build a car. A deposit is refundable; it's simply an indication that you are very interested, nothing more. It's not a guarantee or a contract to deliver. That doesn't happen until a hard order is actually placed by the dealer to the factory, and at that point, your money is no longer refundable and no longer a deposit; it's now a down payment.

While it may not feel good emotionally or psychologically right now, the only thing your deposit got you is on the list of people the dealer will call first when product becomes available. That's all it is; a vote of interest on your part. It doesn't actually guarantee you anything. Lotus or the dealer isn't bound by anything legally until an actual hard order is placed.

I know it sucks, especially since the car is so desirable looking. I've written a letter to Matt outlining the concerns people have voiced, and proposed a solution, but there's no guarantee he'll even read the email, much less consider the proposal. Having an opinion on all this is fine, but there's no cause to be hostile or denigrating towards the company or anybody at the company. That's not going to make anything better in any way. I've worked in retail before, and the people who were angry, demanding, abusive in their rhetoric seemed to expect that being that way would get them what they wanted, but they were wrong. It actually made us not want to give them anything at all. The people who were nice, understanding, and reasonable, were much more likely to get consideration and a concession if it was possible.

By announcing the new "bespoke" division, which is just fancy-speak for custom, Lotus is letting everyone know yes... you can have it your way if you so desire. That's going to include paint colors, and it sounds like just about anything else that's feasible; it's just going to cost you extra, but that's always the case when modding and customizing. This isn't going to just be for the Emira; they're looking ahead at the electric vehicles. In fact, everything they're doing is with an eye towards setting themselves up for electric. Right now everything is a learning experience, but it's going to have far-reaching effects. This will be good for current and future customers; we're just not there... yet.

You can place it right on Lotus website as of today I believe
This is what happned with my EMIRA, region specific I think. NA and maybe ROW website won't have that and have to go to a dealership. Glad I saw this because I just called mine. I registered online to get info and e-mailed awhile back that I want to sign up and deposit on the 132 once available and was never contacted.

Reservations are for UK homologated and delivered cars only.

Reservation Fee means a fee of £2,000 which will either be deducted from the price you pay when you formally order a Type 132 or which will be refunded to you after the date of the Order Window if no order is placed.

Reservation means that by paying the Reservation Fee you are paying for the opportunity to formally register your interest in the Type 132, and subject to further terms and conditions, chose the specification, place an order, and reserve a manufacturing slot during the Order Window.

Order Window means a period of time during which you will be invited to place an order for a Type 132.

Any marketing materials indicating price, specification, options, specifications or performance are indicative only and are subject to change.

These terms and conditions govern your payment the Reservation Fee only. Any order for a Type 132 will be subject to additional terms and conditions which will be made available to you at the time you place your order. Your ability to place an order is subject to status and your ability to pay the purchase price for the vehicle you wish to order. We will only be bound by an order when we have confirmed to you in writing that we have accepted your order.

We reserve the right to vary or cancel these terms and conditions without notice, however when there is a change we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you in advance but this may not always be possible.

You may request a refund of the Reservation Fee at any time in writing. Refunds can only be made to the individual who has paid the Reservation Fee and will only be paid to the card used to pay the Reservation Fee.

Where a Reservation Fee is refunded to you we will only be liable for the sum paid and we have no responsibility to pay you interest of any kind for the duration of the time that we hold the Reservation Fee. We accept no liability for interest charges even where you have used credit to pay the Reservation Fee.

Any requested refunds will be made as soon as reasonably possible following receipt of a request.

Our maximum liability to you under these terms and conditions will be the sum of the Reservation Fee that you have paid to us.

These terms and conditions are governed exclusively by English law and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes that arise between you and us.

Please direct all Reservation Fee questions to Lotus on +44 (0) 3300 948 047. Lines are open during UK business hours Monday to Friday. Alternatively please email [email protected]

I registered my interest on the lotus website then they email me around 13:30pm.

Deposit down not long after.
Thanks, did the same, no email back yet.
Called the dealer and he didn't get email from Lotus yet, we'll see tomorrow.

There we go again with the Lotus vs dealers situation outside UK

Dealer said that Lotus gave them no information for taking deposits/orders yet.
Only discussing the upgrades in showroom, nothing for the customer yet.

Guess they will have to install a plug!!!

#ForTheElectricians

Reservations are for UK homologated and delivered cars only.

Reservation Fee means a fee of £2,000 which will either be deducted from the price you pay when you formally order a Type 132 or which will be refunded to you after the date of the Order Window if no order is placed.

Reservation means that by paying the Reservation Fee you are paying for the opportunity to formally register your interest in the Type 132, and subject to further terms and conditions, chose the specification, place an order, and reserve a manufacturing slot during the Order Window.

Order Window means a period of time during which you will be invited to place an order for a Type 132.

Any marketing materials indicating price, specification, options, specifications or performance are indicative only and are subject to change.

These terms and conditions govern your payment the Reservation Fee only. Any order for a Type 132 will be subject to additional terms and conditions which will be made available to you at the time you place your order. Your ability to place an order is subject to status and your ability to pay the purchase price for the vehicle you wish to order. We will only be bound by an order when we have confirmed to you in writing that we have accepted your order.

We reserve the right to vary or cancel these terms and conditions without notice, however when there is a change we will use commercially reasonable efforts to notify you in advance but this may not always be possible.

You may request a refund of the Reservation Fee at any time in writing. Refunds can only be made to the individual who has paid the Reservation Fee and will only be paid to the card used to pay the Reservation Fee.

Where a Reservation Fee is refunded to you we will only be liable for the sum paid and we have no responsibility to pay you interest of any kind for the duration of the time that we hold the Reservation Fee. We accept no liability for interest charges even where you have used credit to pay the Reservation Fee.

Any requested refunds will be made as soon as reasonably possible following receipt of a request.

Our maximum liability to you under these terms and conditions will be the sum of the Reservation Fee that you have paid to us.

These terms and conditions are governed exclusively by English law and the courts of England and Wales shall have exclusive jurisdiction over any disputes that arise between you and us.

Please direct all Reservation Fee questions to Lotus on +44 (0) 3300 948 047. Lines are open during UK business hours Monday to Friday. Alternatively please email [email protected]
So, Uk is the only place so far where Lotus can take in deposits directly.
I hope they don't do this only because of financial issues.
1.000 deposits, for instance, would mean 2.000.000 pounds .
Nice to cover some cash-flow issues.
You never know anymore!

#ForTheFinance

So, Uk is the only place so far where Lotus can take in deposits directly.
I hope they don't do this only because of financial issues.
1.000 deposits, for instance, would mean 2.000.000 pounds .
Nice to cover some cash-flow issues.
You never know anymore!

#ForTheFinance
So Ok They taking deposits for the 132.... and we had the anoucemant for the

Lotus Advanced Performance Division​

But still no pictures of cars ?

fetchimage.jpeg

Looking at the headline and watching it turn to a Lotus Witch hunt....

I get that communication could have been alot better, but I also think the Lotus guys deserve a lot of credit for how quickly this has developed.

I was speaking to Scott Walker at one of the reveals and he quite rightly pointed out that in the space of a few months they had got the staff together for this huge target of delivering these cars in a short space of time,reorganised the company,had almost completed the finance broker arrangement at that point,put a tour together etc and let's be honest,the configurator is probably one of the best out there currently.

Last edited:
View attachment 3028
Looking at the headline and watching it turn to a Lotus Witch hunt....

I get that communication could have been alot better, but I also think the Lotus guys deserve a lot of credit for how quickly this has developed.

I was speaking to Scott Walker at one of the reveals and he quite rightly pointed out that in the space of a few months they had got the staff together for this huge target of delivering these cars in a short space of time,reorganised the company,had almost completed the finance broker arrangement at that point,put a tour together etc and let's be honest,the configurator is probably one of the best out there currently.
Respect given, spent day with Scott at Hethal.... the work they have done in 2 years, in the middle of covid...... Epic :)

Yes the configaurator now is best in cxlass I think..... it had to be..... that thing they had, well we all know, and that some one even thought it was ok...... tells me plenty

Im Tom's own words " you have expressed many of our views to senior lotus folks..... as you have said " whilst they acknowledged they could have done things differently, they were not going to change the approach " tehy are not going to change

Guys have had to lock in there cars, they had been told they would get to see before they had to do that

They said they are going to contact every one in Jan. The coms have got no better

As I know at this point.... you can not spec for your car to not come with number plate fitted

Still no pictures of car..... ok the config sreen shots look good, but still not real world pictures of all colours.

You still have to bundle up 3K pluss zero value items if you do take there finance

I think i would be right in saying most of the oders have come from people that have or had a Lotus or wanted one that fitted there life style..... But new customers are not going to put up with bad service, bad coms.... let things slide.

Its about time we said ok, well done...... but a long way to go........... Not , oh well its lotus, they done well to get this far

Respect given, spent day with Scott at Hethal.... the work they have done in 2 years, in the middle of covid...... Epic :)

Yes the configaurator now is best in cxlass I think..... it had to be..... that thing they had, well we all know, and that some one even thought it was ok...... tells me plenty

Im Tom's own words " you have expressed many of our views to senior lotus folks..... as you have said " whilst they acknowledged they could have done things differently, they were not going to change the approach " tehy are not going to change

Guys have had to lock in there cars, they had been told they would get to see before they had to do that

They said they are going to contact every one in Jan. The coms have got no better

As I know at this point.... you can not spec for your car to not come with number plate fitted

Still no pictures of car..... ok the config sreen shots look good, but still not real world pictures of all colours.

You still have to bundle up 3K pluss zero value items if you do take there finance

I think i would be right in saying most of the oders have come from people that have or had a Lotus or wanted one that fitted there life style..... But new customers are not going to put up with bad service, bad coms.... let things slide.

Its about time we said ok, well done...... but a long way to go........... Not , oh well its lotus, they done well to get this far
You are right, there's a formal recognition that the customer experience has been poor but to let it continue smacks of a lack of understanding on how to fix or a willingness not to fix. Lets remember though Lotus traditionally didn't have many customers, its a brave new world actually having to interface with customers directly, managing their needs wants and expectations.

Lets see if it improves for type 132 customers...

Last edited: