• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira at LOG41.

Yeah, you have dealer(s) close to you, don't you? You'll get the chance.
That is true, but if your deciding between other vehicles and waiting another year for the Emira, I can understand someone wanting to see it in person, sooner rather than later. Especially with lead times to order new vehicles being longer than normal. I almost booked for LOG41 for that reason. Also, lot's of people booked trips to UK to go to Hethel for a track day.(@emiraspain is one that comes to mind from here) So when Lotus says we are coming with an Army of cars for you take out for a drive (to registered LOG41 ppl), How would you not be upset if you showed up and that was not the case? It's like being sold tickets to a U2 concert, they come on stage, do 1 song and then leave the building. Ppl would be losing it.

I am just so very happy that I didn't take time off from work and book a flight and hotel and all the other stuff to go down and see and test drive the car.

Lots Of Talk, Usually Soon
You would've also had to join Lotus Ltd, if you're not already a member, AND pay the registration fee (which was $200 walkup if you didn't pay a few weeks before) and any food plans for the LOG itself, and if you were staying over, the resort room fee. Seeing as how Pittsburgh, 3 hours away, is the likely airport you'd fly in on, staying over (if there were available rooms) almost would be a must.

That's the thing about the messaging. There were people like you contemplating doing just that. An offhand comment from the Managing Director saying there would be a small army of Emiras could've created some real problems.

There was a small army of Lotus US staff there, all great people.

I rightfully took a little heat in another thread about LOG being for Lotus 'faithful,' not for Lotus 'curious.' My choice of words were not prudent. LOG was going to happen, as it always does, whether the Emira was going to be there or not. And the folks who go to the LOG year in and year out would've been disappointed expecting the Emira and it not showing, or expecting multiples with only one showing, but in either event they would've quickly gotten over it, and gotten on with the Lotus weekend, because they were there to celebrate Lotus. All things Lotus. Make new friends, catch up with old, make Lotus memories. Still a good weekend.

The 'Lotus Curious,' those contemplating buying an Emira, or having a deposit on one with it to be their first Lotus, having never before contemplated buying one, would've been disappointed by having to go 'all in' to pay for and attend an event they would not otherwise make the investment in. That with no guarantee of a chance to even drive the car, depending on how the time slots filled.

I agree and think that's fair. You'd have had to make a significant investment of money and time to attend LOG on the chance you might see an Emira and might then get to drive one. It's an event primarily aimed at existing owners.

Lotus had also indicated the cars were going on after LOG to do a tour of dealers, including opportunities for deposit holders to book test drives. Does anyone know if that is going ahead, either with this sole example from LOG or some other collection of cars? Some dealers had previously contacted deposit holders to let them know dates.

I was texting with my dealer this weekend and he said that he has still not heard anything and has no idea about when demo cars will be available. He assured me he would let me know as soon as he heard anything.

That is true, but if your deciding between other vehicles and waiting another year for the Emira, I can understand someone wanting to see it in person, sooner rather than later. Especially with lead times to order new vehicles being longer than normal. I almost booked for LOG41 for that reason. Also, lot's of people booked trips to UK to go to Hethel for a track day.(@emiraspain is one that comes to mind from here) So when Lotus says we are coming with an Army of cars for you take out for a drive (to registered LOG41 ppl), How would you not be upset if you showed up and that was not the case? It's like being sold tickets to a U2 concert, they come on stage, do 1 song and then leave the building. Ppl would be losing it.
Yes, and that U2 song was "I still haven't found what I'm looking for.'
Screenshot_20220912-151235_Chrome.jpg

So we have the first time people in America can test drive an Emira, and a large Lotus gathering, and we have no firsthand reviews from anyone about what they thought of the car?

So we have the first time people in America can test drive an Emira, and a large Lotus gathering, and we have no firsthand reviews from anyone about what they thought of the car?
Yes, how absolutely astonishing.
Part of me wanted to say inconsiderate, but had a change of heart.
Sharing is caring.

Yes, how absolutely astonishing.
Part of me wanted to say inconsiderate, but had a change of heart.
Sharing is caring.
isnt this a backhand insult.. haha..
"I would say your ugly, but then I saw another side of you"
"I was going to say your a complete xxxxx, but then I realised that would be rude..."

I mean, you've already gone ahead and said it, so no points for half retracting there after... :).

They are mean...... and thats all there is to it, until they review... and then they are a bit less mean.

There are a couple of short write ups on one of the Facebook groups (might be a Lotus Owners one rather than an Emira one), if someone wants to find them and copy/paste.

Seems they liked the interior materials/features/build quality and exterior design, which we've picked up already from static displays of the press cars. The drives seem to have been very short and the main impression was how strong (or sensitive) the brakes are. Engine/exhaust sound also mentioned as good. Nothing much on driving dynamics, which I assume is because the drives were short duration.

There are a couple of short write ups on one of the Facebook groups (might be a Lotus Owners one rather than an Emira one), if someone wants to find them and copy/paste.

Seems they liked the interior materials/features/build quality and exterior design, which we've picked up already from static displays of the press cars. The drives seem to have been very short and the main impression was how strong (or sensitive) the brakes are. Engine/exhaust sound also mentioned as good. Nothing much on driving dynamics, which I assume is because the drives were short duration.
Good summary, Tom, and pretty much on the money. There was intermittent rain and when it wasn't raining, the roads were still wet. That tempered the drives, too.

So I was at LOG and test drove the Emira. It was a disappointing test drive. About 3 minutes total on a smooth, straight road so I didn't get any real driving impressions. The car felt heavier than my Evora 400 because it is sprung more firmly and thus corners flatter. I was told even the Touring suspension cars are firmer than a stock E400. The interior is very nice but the top rim of the steering wheel blocked the top third of the gauge panel.

Matt Windle said that US deliveries would begin in late Q1 of 2023.

but the top rim of the steering wheel blocked the top third of the gauge panel.

I guess this all depends on seating position, steering column height, and driver height. I'd hope you'd be able to dial it in just right though. Apparently that's exactly why the steering wheel is shaped the way it is... to give a clear view of the digital display.

Last edited:
So I was at LOG and test drove the Emira. It was a disappointing test drive. About 3 minutes total on a smooth, straight road so I didn't get any real driving impressions. The car felt heavier than my Evora 400 because it is sprung more firmly and thus corners flatter. I was told even the Touring suspension cars are firmer than a stock E400. The interior is very nice but the top rim of the steering wheel blocked the top third of the gauge panel.

Matt Windle said that US deliveries would begin in late Q1 of 2023.
That is a very disappointing test drive! Sorry to hear that.

I guess this all depends on seating position, steering column height, and driver height. I'd hope you'd be able to dial it in just right though. Apparently that's exactly why the steering wheel is shaped the way it is... to give a clear view of the digital display.
The steering wheel is adjustable, so I'd expect you can move it up or down to avoid this.