• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Lotus Emira battery dies while driving or can it be the alternator?

Reaction score
Hit 1,000 miles yesterday and right after I stopped at a store and restarted the car I get this message (pic below).

Drove home, put on battery tender for 6 hours and went out at night. Battery error gone.

Valet comes in to find me at restaurant and said my car doesn’t start (initially thought he was going to tell me we crashed your car so I was relieved) 😅.

They jump the car, starts easy but then this error shows up after 1 min while driving (pic).

2 miles later my center screen goes out while driving, and more error messages (all icons seems lighting up, including alternator).

While driving (about 35 mph) my dash speedometer goes out but before then says brakes ABS not working so I am a little concerned. Then 30 seconds later car completely turned off and head lights in front and brake lights didn’t work.

My buddy from restaurant was behind me and I rolled down windows (2 min prior to all this as felt I would need to use hand signals if something happens), so I wave my left hand saying I am pulling over to the left side lane as car not accelerating (gas pedal doesn’t work). Luckily brakes worked.

Car DEAD. Windows didn’t roll up- couldn’t open trunk to get tow hitch although friend walked me through it as he read a prior lotus forum and emergency release was on back of driver side panel (black hoop that you pull out).

Called Lotus roadside (around 11 pm on 8-24-24), and since I was on a major intersection, they said you’re not in a safe place so we can’t send someone out and I have to call 911. I have never called 911 in my life so I found this odd, but I started calling and then a police officer drove by so I hung up.

Police blocked the left-hand two lanes and because I was obstructing traffic partially and the crosswalk they called the Dallas contracted flatbed tow truck who got there within 30 minutes.

Towed it home safely, then tow driver jumped battery and it started so I could roll up the windows. When he took his jumpers off, the car died. Paid tow truck company about $150 for the 2 mile tow, and tipped him $20. Will ask Lotus to reimburse me since this was not only inconvenient but as Lotus roadside refused to help.

What should I do this morning as it is a Sunday & dealer in Dallas closed?

1. Tow it to Lotus as now I can use roadside since I’m a “safe” place?

a. If I do I am concerned Lotus keeps the car another 2 weeks (remember I had the clutch issue and towed prior). Total of 3 toes in 5 months of ownership.

2. Buy a battery and replace myself and see if works and fixes all the issues?

a. Then I can have Lotus pay for battery and change to their own

3. Don’t want to do this but I think I have a Lemmon, (2 clutch issues, dead battery while driving or maybe something more) so should I start thinking about using the Lemmon law? Never have done this before.

Attachments

• IMG_4204.jpeg
    IMG_4204.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4208.jpeg
    IMG_4208.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4210.jpeg
    IMG_4210.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_4211.jpeg
    IMG_4211.jpeg
    142.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4212.jpeg
    IMG_4212.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 91
Hit 1,000 miles yesterday and right after I stopped at a store and restarted the car I get this message (pic below).

Drove home, put on battery tender for 6 hours and went out at night. Battery error gone.

Valet comes in to find me at restaurant and said my car doesn’t start (initially thought he was going to tell me we crashed your car so I was relieved) 😅.

They jump the car, starts easy but then this error shows up after 1 min while driving (pic).

2 miles later my center screen goes out while driving, and more error messages (all icons seems lighting up, including alternator).

While driving (about 35 mph) my dash speedometer goes out but before then says brakes ABS not working so I am a little concerned. Then 30 seconds later car completely turned off and head lights in front and brake lights didn’t work.

My buddy from restaurant was behind me and I rolled down windows (2 min prior to all this as felt I would need to use hand signals if something happens), so I wave my left hand saying I am pulling over to the left side lane as car not accelerating (gas pedal doesn’t work). Luckily brakes worked.

Car DEAD. Windows didn’t roll up- couldn’t open trunk to get tow hitch although friend walked me through it as he read a prior lotus forum and emergency release was on back of driver side panel (black hoop that you pull out).

Called Lotus roadside (around 11 pm on 8-24-24), and since I was on a major intersection, they said you’re not in a safe place so we can’t send someone out and I have to call 911. I have never called 911 in my life so I found this odd, but I started calling and then a police officer drove by so I hung up.

Police blocked the left-hand two lanes and because I was obstructing traffic partially and the crosswalk they called the Dallas contracted flatbed tow truck who got there within 30 minutes.

Towed it home safely, then tow driver jumped battery and it started so I could roll up the windows. When he took his jumpers off, the car died. Paid tow truck company about $150 for the 2 mile tow, and tipped him $20. Will ask Lotus to reimburse me since this was not only inconvenient but as Lotus roadside refused to help.

What should I do this morning as it is a Sunday & dealer in Dallas closed?

1. Tow it to Lotus as now I can use roadside since I’m a “safe” place?

a. If I do I am concerned Lotus keeps the car another 2 weeks (remember I had the clutch issue and towed prior). Total of 3 toes in 5 months of ownership.

2. Buy a battery and replace myself and see if works and fixes all the issues?

a. Then I can have Lotus pay for battery and change to their own

3. Don’t want to do this but I think I have a Lemmon, (2 clutch issues, dead battery while driving or maybe something more) so should I start thinking about using the Lemmon law? Never have done this before.
More pics as all couldn’t fit on original post!

Attachments

• IMG_4218.jpeg
    IMG_4218.jpeg
    591.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4214.jpeg
    IMG_4214.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4213.jpeg
    IMG_4213.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_4212.jpeg
    IMG_4212.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 61
I think you should try the easiest route first and that’s having the battery tested by a local auto parts store. If it’s that, that’s an easy fix. You can spend $200 on a new battery and go on. On the other hand, it’s a new car if you’re OK with leaving it with the dealer for a little, let them diagnose and fix. I’m not a patient man so I’d try to see if I can fix by myself before going to the dealer

I think you should try the easiest route first and that’s having the battery tested by a local auto parts store. If it’s that, that’s an easy fix. You can spend $200 on a new battery and go on. On the other hand, it’s a new car if you’re OK with leaving it with the dealer for a little, let them diagnose and fix. I’m not a patient man so I’d try to see if I can fix by myself before going to the dealer
Ok will disconnect and see if can take to auto parts store

I guess I have to disconnect the negative terminal first per other posts and connect it last

Is the alternator charging the battery, maybe belt has snapped ?
Neil

Is the alternator charging the battery, maybe belt has snapped ?
Neil
That is the question I have.

In any other car is the alternator that drains the battery but once you can start the car, the alternator takes over and they flip-flop on charging and discharging.

However, as this is, the Lotus may be it needs the battery to be fully functional to keep up with the Computer system but honestly, I have no idea. 🤷‍♂️

The belt did not snap.

Sounds like the alternator to me.

Starting after a full charge. ..then starter/battery fine.

Fluky error messages..l.ow battery as you are driving or when the car still has some ..but not sufficient strength to start car. I wouldn't worry about the speccific messages since modern cars are known to throw off all sorts of messages from a weak battery.

Car drives using battery for spark rather than alternator and depleting as you go along. If you drive far enought the car will jut die is my guess.

So now you need to find out why the battery isn't being charged by the alternator. Could be bad alternator. Not sure if it could be a bad voltage regulator. I suppose if the serpentine belt broke that would be a reason but that would be pretty obvious visually. Probably wouldn't have power steering in that case.

Well that's my layman's opinion. Good luck. At least it's under warranty.

Last edited:
Sounds like the alternator to me.

Starting after a full charge. ..starter/battery fine
Fluky error messages..low battery as you are driving or when the car still has some ..but not sufficient strength to start car. I would worry about the speccific essages since modern cars are known to throw off all sorts of message from a weak battery.
Car drives using batery for spark rather and depleting as you go along. If you drive far enought he car will jut die is my guess.

So now you need to find out why the battery isn't being charged by the alternator. Could be bad alternator. Not sure if it could be a bad voltage regulator. I suppose if the serpentine belt broke that would be a reason but that would be pretty obvious visually. Probably wouldn't have power steering in that case.

Well that's my layman's opinion. Good luck. At least it's under warranty.
Agree with your thinking

That’s my thought but Lotus thinks it is the battery only

I have an event to be at Wednesday and was going to take the car, but unfortunately, I think it’ll be at the dealership for two weeks 😅

I guess I have to disconnect the negative terminal first per other posts and connect it last
Unlock the car before disconnecting. Just opening the trunk and disconnecting the battery will set the alarm off. It has an internal battery for screaming purposes. Trust me, your 10mm will vanish, you unlearn how to tighten a screw, the cable won't fit for some reason and all that while the alarm screams like you're trying to rob a kid of his ice cream.

Don't ask me how I know.

1st guess dead battery and you need a new one.
2nd guess its your charging system.
All under warranty.

Sucks that you spend this much money and it only has 1k miles. For me it makes it hard to trust the car on a road trip. I have very little patience when this happens to a car that I own. I use the 3 strike rule & in a year if it has 3 major issues it’s By,By and I am on to something else. Good luck keep us posted on what the dealer says.

Last edited:
1st guess is your charging system
2nd guess dead battery and you need a new one.

Sucks that you spend this much money and it only has 1k miles and it’s hard to trust the car on a road trip, I have very little patience when this happens to a car that I own, I use the 3 strike rule. 3rd strike in a year and it’s By By and on to something else. Good luck keep us posted on what the dealer says.
Since batteries are a known weak spot, I wouldn't get too worked up over it. If he's close to the dealer, have them check it and replace it if necessary, it's a warranty item. If it's the charging system, that's also a warranty item.

The battery only starts the car and then the alternator takes over. It is the alternator, or some other component of the charging system.

I would also push for a new battery to be replaced under warranty bc repeatedly draining it dead wrecks it capacity.

The battery only starts the car and then the alternator takes over. It is the alternator, or some other component of the charging system.

I would also push for a new battery to be replaced under warranty bc repeatedly draining it dead wrecks it capacity.
I agree with your assessment however 50% of people are saying it is the battery only and the other 50% are saying it is the alternator/charging system (I am in this camp).

Poll taken of 10 people so not really scientific but from what I have experienced in prior cars, should be the alternator

Should I enter the monthly photo contest with my Emira on a flatbed truck every month for past 3 months 🤣?

I might win 🥇 day as all trucks were different times of the day and lighting 🤣
Enter me in the contest

Definitely a winning picture 🤣🤕 to be on the monthly cover 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4227.jpeg
    IMG_4227.jpeg
    334.6 KB · Views: 37
Battery dead

1.9 V and should be reading 12 V

At Lotus now

I still think it’s the alternator as once portable jumper unhooked, car dies but maybe I am wrong

Attachments

• IMG_4226.jpeg
    IMG_4226.jpeg
    221.7 KB · Views: 16
Battery dead

1.9 V and should be reading 12 V

At Lotus now

I still think it’s the alternator as once portable jumper unhooked, car dies but maybe I am wrong
It’s confirmed it is the alternator that is bad as expected, as wasn’t holding a charge.

Asking Lotus to replace battery as well

Did you not get a constant red battery warning light on dash at any time? Thats the purpose of that light (battery not being charged). Alarming if that didnt illuminate. Also why they need more gauges in the car. such as voltmeter, oil pressure etc.

Last edited:
Did you not get a constant red battery warning light on dash at any time? Thats the purpose of that light (battery not being charged). Alarming if that didnt illuminate. Also why they need more gauges in the car. such as voltmeter, oil pressure etc.
It gave an error once and then I put it on the battery tender, took it out at night and there was no error and then it just died so one error at the time did not trigger me to be concerned as it went away.

Maybe I should have been concerned, but a new car with 1k miles and a bad alternator is not acceptable, but I guess it is a Lotus so acceptable 🤣

It gave an error once and then I put it on the battery tender, took it out at night and there was no error and then it just died so one error at the time did not trigger me to be concerned as it went away.

Maybe I should have been concerned, but a new car with 1k miles and a bad alternator is not acceptable, but I guess it is a Lotus so acceptable 🤣
Of course it's not acceptable on any new car, which is why they have warranties. Lotus doesn't make the alternator so it's another case of issues with parts from some of their suppliers. All manufacturers seem to have problems like this. Gotta be frustrating to be a vehicle manufacturer nowadays!

Last edited:
Back