• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

My trip to Hethel

Featured
@3MIRA Do you know if these parts (pointed on the picture) of the Emira are indeed soft materials as well? Also, the glove box quality?
And Also, I know it will have apple carplay but it is wireless?

Cheers and thanks for the insights!
I wasn't allowed to reach in that far incase I toppled over and caused damage, they are super protective about their customers cars! I don't know if apple carplay is wireless.

@3MIRA Do you know if these parts (pointed on the picture) of the Emira are indeed soft materials as well? Also, the glove box quality?
And Also, I know it will have apple carplay but it is wireless?

Cheers and thanks for the insights!
It's 99% sure that CarPlay won't be wireless because from all info that we could gather, there is only Bluetooth fitted to the Emira, but no WiFi. For wireless CarPlay you require both. However There is a WiFi dongle called Carlinkit 3.0 on the market that fixes this issue for around a 100 bucks (€ in Germany). You just have to plug it where your iPhone would normally go, connect it to your iPhone once and from then on your Phone will automatically connect to the Emira wirelessly and start CarPlay.

Now the factory tour is officially available I can reveal I had the privilege of a factory tour with Scott Lotus Sales chief.

I had travelled back to UK from Australia for my mother's funeral. (Great life and great send off, no regrets).

I phoned Lotus who kindly agreed to arrange a tour for me, this was on the understanding that I didn't publicise it until they had officially re-instated factory tours. They had already appointed a corporate events/factory tour manager and where working out how to safely accommodated visitors touring the production line whilst ramping up production.

Scott was incredibly enthusiastic and his non stop commentary was both enlightening and entertaining.

To enter the factory floor I had to put on special clean shoes, cover up for wedding ring and watch just in case I slipped and scratched a car. Plus a high visibility vest.

My impressions from the day.

Not a puddle or oil spot in sight, the place looked like it could be making computer chips not cars.

The robots were impressive, my inner child came day dreaming Sarah Connor.

Scott was particularly proud of the very fine tolerances on the shut lines and interior trim, global impression was better than my BMWs and as good as my friends Aston Martins!

I wasn't allowed to sit in the cars, I was allowed to feel the quality of the leather and can confirm the paddles are metal!

I had ordered grey leather, its a lovely colour in the flesh #so happy!

They use standard wheels on the cars in the factory for setting up suspension/alignment/rolling road booth.

I asked why the press prototypes in UK were white? Scott replied that they are proud of all the colours and didn't want to skew purchasing of a particular colour by having that colour heavily featured. The other main issue was a deliberate harkening back to Esprit 007 bedroom poster fantasy car (it was on my wall too).

My impression of the FE colours my preferences in order:

1. Dark verdant, # so happy, a really classy elegant colour, I was bobbing up and down to catch the factory lights reflection playing across the lines and curves. In bright light it is dark sparkly green, in shadow it looks navy blue, at night it will appear black.
  2. Nimbus, is such a clever colour. The pallet changes dramatically across the lines and curves and it really accentuates the lines and curves.
  3. Magma, is very vibrant its Scott's favourite the orange and gold fleck really pop in direct sunlight.
  4. Shadow, is a dark blue a cross between gun metal grey "bluing" and a polished granite slab for a kitchen top, it is a moody elegant colour.
  5. Hethel is plain shouty colour, it looks great against backdrop of dark tarmac will be great to rapid recognition by other cars on the road
  6. Senna was plain, it might be more interesting in direct light.
  7. White and black, both suit the car what colour wouldn't?
The answer is
Moccasinrgb(255,228,181)#FFE4B5

There were 3 cars that had been prepared for Holland white, black and Moccasin which looked horrible!

The top table at Lotus are evenly split between Nimbus and Magma as their colours of choice.

They have a testing yard for "squeaks and rattles" there is a mini course which was very tight designed to put the car through a shakedown to ensure no squeaks and rattles.

They have a monsoon testing facility to ensure no leaks, good for Wales and the East Coast of Australia!

I asked about the front number plate deletion option for those countries/states that don't require a front number plate, Scott said that they had been taken aback at the strength of feeling on this and were looking at the possibility of addressing this. Its not a promise but they are thinking about it.

FE V6 ADAS is fitted, the number plate mounting is between the front lip spoiler and the bottom of ADAS pod. At launch ADAS won't be on Scott was open minded about whether ADAS would subsequently be enabled. The car has 50+ computer systems that opens up possibility of software updates at service.

Scott let slip that the I4 was good for 500BHP and that the drivetrain can handle that but the V6 is at the limit of what it can handle reliably.

They are still fettling the I4 sound hence no audio clips.

They are still fettling the steering feel, Gavin is obsessional and has reached 95% satisfied.

Scott was very proud of their Emira and very excited about their EV future, I said i would be sticking my EMIRA plate on my EMIRA and saving the 3MIRA plate for my EV Emira in about 5 years time. As I figure battery technology and EV infrastructure will be more mature. Scott replied that battery trechnology has come on leaps and bounds in last 2 years and he was vey excited about 132 reveal shortly.

Thank you Scott and thank you Lotus!:cool:

View attachment 4092
Thank you for the great write up. Could you share more about the grey leather interior? Is it more ice "white" than the usual grey leather we see on other models?

Thank you for the great write up. Could you share more about the grey leather interior? Is it more ice "white" than the usual grey leather we see on other models?
It was very light, which pleased me as likely to be coolest option under my harsh Australian sunshine

I wasn't allowed to reach in that far incase I toppled over and caused damage, they are super protective about their customers cars! I don't know if apple carplay is wireless.
I see, let's hope there is no hard plastics! Thank you for the kind response! I'll wait for your review when you get the car in your hands ;)

It's 99% sure that CarPlay won't be wireless because from all info that we could gather, there is only Bluetooth fitted to the Emira, but no WiFi. For wireless CarPlay you require both. However There is a WiFi dongle called Carlinkit 3.0 on the market that fixes this issue for around a 100 bucks (€ in Germany). You just have to plug it where your iPhone would normally go, connect it to your iPhone once and from then on your Phone will automatically connect to the Emira wirelessly and start CarPlay.
That's a really nice advice! Never heard of it but i'll take a look!
And also, I thought it won't be natively wireless on the Emira, otherwise they should used the word "wireless" as a marketing feature. On the other hand, Volvo has already wireless Carplay and has the lastest Android OS on their cars. Shouldn't this updates be shared onto the new Lotus Cars also?

pardon my ignorance here, why would you want to use this device over a blue tooth connection from your iphone ?

Google maps / Waze accessible via CarPlay.
right, but if I have those on my iphone, i thought a blue tooth connection would have allowed them to be used on car play. I have never used car play, hence the ignorance. It seems with blue tooth you are limited to what apps you can run

right, but if I have those on my iphone, i thought a blue tooth connection would have allowed them to be used on car play. I have never used car play, hence the ignorance. It seems with blue tooth you are limited to what apps you can run
Bluetooth does not have the data capacity needed to enable CarPlay or Android Auto. So, Apple and google developed a 5Ghz WiFi spec in a closed network configuration to enable the wireless feature. It’s different than the hotspot configs some cars offer, I.e. one does not require the other. Meaning wireless CarPlay can be enabled without enabling the higher function mobile hotspot capability. Since Harmon is supplying the infotainment system lotus could simply spec the wireless CarPlay feature, Harmon does all the fancy tech to enable it. But unless you also enable wireless charging you end up having to plug in your phone anyway to keep its battery charged. While it is convenient it’s not really all that preferable if you spend more than an hour or so using it. Remember, when you are asking your phone to perform higher order active work the battery life drops rapidly.

Bluetooth does not have the data capacity needed to enable CarPlay or Android Auto. So, Apple and google developed a 5Ghz WiFi spec in a closed network configuration to enable the wireless feature. It’s different than the hotspot configs some cars offer, I.e. one does not require the other. Meaning wireless CarPlay can be enabled without enabling the higher function mobile hotspot capability. Since Harmon is supplying the infotainment system lotus could simply spec the wireless CarPlay feature, Harmon does all the fancy tech to enable it. But unless you also enable wireless charging you end up having to plug in your phone anyway to keep its battery charged. While it is convenient it’s not really all that preferable if you spend more than an hour or so using it. Remember, when you are asking your phone to perform higher order active work the battery life drops rapidly.
Android Auto works fine in my other car with just a Bluetooth connection, use it daily for Waze etc?

Thanks for the explanation

Superb explanation... it makes sense vehicles using wireless CarPlay often include wireless charging to mitigate the battery drain in a cable free setup.

Last edited:
Thanks @FederGigant .
I bought the Carlinkit 3.0 as per your previous post , installed it in the Evora and Apple CarPlay works great!

Android Auto works fine in my other car with just a Bluetooth connection, use it daily for Waze etc?
That’s because your head unit has a 5Ghz WiFi chip that’s bonded to the Android Auto or CarPlay app in its OS that you can’t control. All the chip does is support these connections, not provide higher order WiFi to the consumer. Turn WiFi off on your phone and see how well it works.

That’s because your head unit has a 5Ghz WiFi chip that’s bonded to the Android Auto or CarPlay app in its OS that you can’t control. All the chip does is support these connections, not provide higher order WiFi to the consumer. Turn WiFi off on your phone and see how well it works.
Works just as well from what I can see, as WiFi on phone is connected to dashcam most of the time and/or to the WiFi hotspot that the car also provides. But even if I turn WiFi on phone completely off then I can still access Android Auto via my head unit. Assume it does something in the background, all I know is it works

Advice needed please- I have a wedding to attend in Suffolk in June. If, while I’m in the area, would I be able to see an Emira at hethel or wouldn’t I be able to get close enough? Never been to the factory so don’t know what their layout is like

Advice needed please- I have a wedding to attend in Suffolk in June. If, while I’m in the area, would I be able to see an Emira at hethel or wouldn’t I be able to get close enough? Never been to the factory so don’t know what their layout is like
Why don't you stay overnight and then do the factory tour?

You can’t just turn up at Hethel and see stuff. You might see a few cars going in and out of the site. Best option is to book a factory tour.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back