• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

My trip to Hethel

Tours are Monday-Thursday, would mean arriving 2 days before wedding or stopping 2 days after
Not sure what the schedule is like but I did a track day across a weekend, then the tour is included and you get to drive on the test track. Which is amazing.

Fully acknowledge we’ve gone from seeing the Emira, to a track day, but hey, it’s lotus… it’s worth it!

That’s right, Academy restarts in June and dates should go up on their website in the next couple of weeks.

In the past some options used to include a factory tour. Waiting to see what the new format will be. It’s been brought back in house, so likely to be some changes.

Thanks for the response... I ordered Seneca w/black pack, diamond wheels, yellow calipers and ice grey leather interior. I'm beyond excited and can't wait to receive it ;)

What does "finals" mean? Is that an industry term or UK jargon? Thanks!
Im prob Nimbus/Red/Yellow but if I went Seneca that would be my exact spec

Same colour options in my head - just booked the factory tour for afternoon of Wednesday 20th April so that I can see them in the flesh (hopefully!)
Very keen to hear your opinion. The reference of 'Bronze' doesn't excite me. I'm in California and seriously considering hopping on a plane to see in person (once Driving Experience opens up). My delivery is prob Q1 2023 and it would be torture to go all that time wondering what the colors look like.

Very keen to hear your opinion. The reference of 'Bronze' doesn't excite me. I'm in California and seriously considering hopping on a plane to see in person (once Driving Experience opens up). My delivery is prob Q1 2023 and it would be torture to go all that time wondering what the colors look like.
As my wife previously owned a "galaxy grey" Honda civic which would be more accurately described as bronze, I share your concern. Happy to add my thoughts to the various views already reported following the factory tours.

@Balboa I am in Texas and considering this as well! Eurotrip?

See my post-tour comments in the lithium battery thread - I was impressed by Nimbus and my concerns regarding bronze undertones were put to rest. Magma red is still my first choice, though

I went on the tour yesterday. Found it really interesting and a chance to look at the colours before finally making my mind up. Loads of info given in our wander around and the set up is miles away from where they were before.

Loads of interesting things about the cars and what Lotus have done to the parts they get delivered from elsewhere. Think they have missed a trick with info where they could really keep people engaged with what they have been up to. For example the V6 box has gears stripped out and Lotus engineered ones put in for better gearing.

Most stand out part for me was the amount of "finished" cars that had the steering wheel on the wrong side. Assume it`s them getting them out and ready for their travels abroad. Lotus were at pains to confirm that they are still not in the final production phase and are still tweaking things for the final product.

Saw all the colours and a few in between. White looks fantastic.

QA is a big thing and the cars go through scanning, twice, to confirm body panels and build quality. All the shut lines of the ones i saw looked the same and the final product looked and sounded good.

Colours for me, i went in thinking Shadow, Nimbus or Senica. Discounted Shadow as just too dark for me so left Nimbus or Senica.

Finally went for Senica. Saw a Nimbus drive away and didn`t have the road presence for me after 150m where as the Senica you can see for miles :)

Verdant green looked great, but very very dark. Would be great in bright sunlight.

A
I went on the tour yesterday. Found it really interesting and a chance to look at the colours before finally making my mind up. Loads of info given in our wander around and the set up is miles away from where they were before.

Loads of interesting things about the cars and what Lotus have done to the parts they get delivered from elsewhere. Think they have missed a trick with info where they could really keep people engaged with what they have been up to. For example the V6 box has gears stripped out and Lotus engineered ones put in for better gearing.

Most stand out part for me was the amount of "finished" cars that had the steering wheel on the wrong side. Assume it`s them getting them out and ready for their travels abroad. Lotus were at pains to confirm that they are still not in the final production phase and are still tweaking things for the final product.

Saw all the colours and a few in between. White looks fantastic.

QA is a big thing and the cars go through scanning, twice, to confirm body panels and build quality. All the shut lines of the ones i saw looked the same and the final product looked and sounded good.

Colours for me, i went in thinking Shadow, Nimbus or Senica. Discounted Shadow as just too dark for me so left Nimbus or Senica.

Finally went for Senica. Saw a Nimbus drive away and didn`t have the road presence for me after 150m where as the Senica you can see for miles :)

Verdant green looked great, but very very dark. Would be great in bright sunlight.
Are you talking about the manual or auto gearbox?

Manual. From memory of Wednesday's tour, 4 ratios swopped out from the diesel Avensis gearbox. Some machining work also done to accommodate a part - was it the gearbox external oil cooler?
Interesting.. Did they confirm if it's the same gearing as the Evora? I was told by a rep at the US roadshow that Lotus didn't touch the gearing ratios and they just swap in an AP clutch and lightweight flywheel.. and possibly cryo treat the gears.

Interesting.. Did they confirm if it's the same gearing as the Evora? I was told by a rep at the US roadshow that Lotus didn't touch the gearing ratios and they just swap in an AP clutch and lightweight flywheel.. and possibly cryo treat the gears.
We didn't ask that question - too busy staring at the V6 crate motor, still wrapped, about to receive a supercharger ;)

Nick, the tour guide, also mentioned some smoothing/machining of parts/linkages to make the shift smoother than standard.

I am attending the tour on Monday so let me know if anyone has any questions they would like me to ask.

I am attending the tour on Monday so let me know if anyone has any questions they would like me to ask.
What are the weight of the forged wheels

How much do the 12-way seats weigh

How much does the battery weigh

Are the lower black door sills painted, or is gloss black their natural color

Are the new gears they've made for the manual box closer ratio than the Evora, and are the new Lotus engineered gears stronger than the ones that were replaced.

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of you guys over there being able to go on these tours!

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back