New M2

The M2 design language is a bit discombobulated. Smooth curves from the roof down and hard boxy lines from the bottom up. The eye sees this lack of cohesion around the mid flank resulting in a confusing visual design that isn’t particularly attractive.
Your use of the word reminds me of the great Blackadder's educating a certain Mr S. Johnson

Last edited:
The release photos are a lot better than the leaks, but the styling bothers me still. The front end and rear end including the tail lights just doesn’t do it for me. Oh I also hate the digital dash and their designers take on gauges.

I like the price, the options they hinted at, and the S58 engine. With a flex fuel kit & tune that car can adapt from 500 to 650whp automatically based on whatever fuel you throw at it with very minimal supporting modifications.

The M2 design language is a bit discombobulated. Smooth curves from the roof down and hard boxy lines from the bottom up. The eye sees this lack of cohesion around the mid flank resulting in a confusing visual design that isn’t particularly attractive.
This is it exactly. The non-M versions do a better job of resolving this tension, so they look like a curvy coupe with box flares (jaunty) rather than a jammed-together amalgamation of box shapes and curve shapes.

BMW M240i Resampled.jpg

Last edited:
jammed-together amalgamation of box shapes and curve shapes
Can work well when done with skill

Angular in profile, curved in plan, very well resolved and bold to my eye

Can work well when done with skill

Angular in profile, curved in plan, very well resolved and bold to my eye
Right, but that's all angles with the exception of the primary arch of the roofline and the hood. I LOVE the N Vision 74, by the way. If they actually build it, I'll be in line for it.

That car is basically a stack of 1980s trapezoids that derive their core angled retro-futurist aesthetic from 7-segment LED displays and other similar artifacts of 1970s and 1980s technoculture. It's fantastic.

1665584867330.png

I was thinking about M2, then I went to multistory parking where I park my bike and saw so many bmw, had a closer look and one was older m3. Recognizable only by a badge for amateur person. For me, sports car, needs to be build from ground up, not converted family car with some bits here and there.

I was thinking about M2, then I went to multistory parking where I park my bike and saw so many bmw, had a closer look and one was older m3. Recognizable only by a badge for amateur person. For me, sports car, needs to be build from ground up, not converted family car with some bits here and there.
Have you ever driven one? They are fantastic, and have been fantastic in every variation, in every context, since their genesis with the 3.0 CSL in the 1970s. The fact that they are a practical car as well just adds to their market appeal.

I don't disagree but Ms has this understated profile that made them very unique. And they drive great. The "in your face" approach now is hard to swallow.

Have you ever driven one? They are fantastic, and have been fantastic in every variation, in every context, since their genesis with the 3.0 CSL in the 1970s. The fact that they are a practical car as well just adds to their market appeal.
No, I am sure they are special to drive, but the look of them is not special.
And I want a car which makes me happy when I look at it as well;)

BMW marketing has sealed it's fate - I will never buy this car!

I like it. I like it a lot. I like the boldness and angularity. I does not not bother me that most people don't like it (perhaps it somehow makes me like it even more). In contrast to most people I did not like the prior generation. Kind of chunky and compressed, I did not like the presence. It still looks to me like a toy car in a bad way.... it lacked a bit of intimidation imo. I like more angular cars, like the original e30. I think most are just not used to the looks but later on a lot people will warm up to it, like with the new m3/m4. Call me different I guess. I think this car has a personality and the fact we are here typing here it means it generates emotions for good or bad, which is not a bad thing..... at least BMW is not being boring and bland with their designs.... applaud that. I don't mind some (mild) disproportions in design, it make things interesting and gives character. Often time well proportioned cars (and objects) are boring to look. Definitively I'd take this over the old one. The weight is in fact an issue but safety, regulations etc probably are in part the reason.... however lighter versions will come

Last edited:
I like it. I like it a lot. I like the boldness and angularity. I does not not bother me that most people don't like it (perhaps somehow I like it more). In contrast to most people I did not like the prior generation. Kind of chunky and compressed, did not like the presence, It looks to me like a toy car in a bad way.... it lacked a bit of intimidation imo. I like more angular cars, like the original e30. I think most are not just used to the looks and then a lot people will warm up to it, like with the new m3/m4. Call me different I guess. I think this car has a personality and the fact we are here typing means it generates emotions for good or bad, which is not a bad thing..... at least BMW is not being boring and bland with their designs.... applaud that. I don't mind some (mild) disproportions in design, it make things interesting and gives character. Often time well proportion cars (and objects) are boring to look Definitively I'd take this over the old one. The weight is in fact an issue but safety, regulations etc probably are in part the reason.... however lighter versions will come

Good post. I will concede that although I don't like it, I could see where other people would like it. It's not my taste but your post makes good points.

I‘ve loved Bimmers since my first drive in a late 70’s Bavaria. But styling-wise they seem to cycle back and forth between ugly (Chris Bangle design E65 7 series) to gorgeous (2014 M6 Gran Coupe) and back (beaver tooth M3/M4). Still channeling ugly IMHO. The new M2 is as always, a beauty on the inside, but a styling trainwreck on the outside. Hope the styling pendulum swings back soon.

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Aerie Performance Lotus Emira Carbon Fiber Parts GregsRaceParts.com BanC Tech JUBU Performance

Latest posts

Back