Now $105k in the USA. I’m not seeing the value

Except they are still affected seriously. Yes massive companies like VW or Toyota or Ford can still get some stuff out the door but with big delays and limited options list. The big German three have 12 month delays for basic models and even longer for fancier stuff.

My company is tiny but has a fleet of around 500 cars in europe and many leases are in their 5th year of a 3 year lease becasue we cannot get cars. It may not suit the bash Lotus narrative but they are very low on the pecking order for supplies of components and even being Geely owned, I am sure that helps but Geely are not that big either in car terms.

Delays are getting better and supplies are easing but it is still real
I agree, when you have companies that can churn out 9 to 20+k cars a day, that's some parts buying power.

I currently drive a RAV4 Hybrid and going into the Toyota service department is one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Previously had an Audi and it is a night and day difference.
I’ve been in the Audi dealership exactly one time in 6 years, just sayin

Only because it is badged as such. Trust me, I am a Toyota person for sure, a big part of why I am buying the Emira is because it is powered by them, but the Supra was such a let down for me or I would have already bought one.
What’s not to love? $55k and 5 more gets you 500hp

Attachments

• lotus-emira-2022-2023-1659415197.0393999.jpg
    lotus-emira-2022-2023-1659415197.0393999.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 47
  • Toyota-Supra.jpg
    Toyota-Supra.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 50
Yes it is over priced, for a FE V2 as it will not have the Advanced Driver Assistance System (ADAS) options that I feel all cars should have in this price range. Think "Blind Spot/Lane Change Monitor", and the like..... And, I'm not sure if the FE V2 will have more exterior color options and/or interior color, stitching, etc. options, yet for $105K it should. Plus the Warranty at 3yr/36K miles, is weak for a $105 car - Most others in this category offer a 4yr/50K mile warranty.

I agree that you can spec out a Porsche 718 GTS 4.0 with more choices and options for under $105K, and there are allocations available at no ADM if you hunt for them, yet your wait time is in the 1.5 +/- year time frame. So similar to the Emira.

My bottom line is that after the initial "Hype" of a new Lotus, and the "I must have one" folks get theirs, a more normal market for the Emira will occur with 6 month lead times, more choices for colors and options, etc., less quality issues, and thus the price of $105K becomes more in line with the competition.

So I'm staying with my Oct '22 deposit which puts me in the mid 2025 time frame for an Emira. And since I have and currently own several Porsches over the years, and wish to try something "different"....... a wait for a Non-FE Emira might turn out to be a good
Entirely agree with your assessment. My dealer had 4 or 5 Evoras for sale still when I put my reservation down on the Emira, and they were simply too expensive and offered considerably less value with an aged look.
I was originally hoping to score a deal on an Evora GT when someone traded in for the Emira. So much for that plan.

I currently drive a RAV4 Hybrid and going into the Toyota service department is one of the worst experiences I've ever had. Previously had an Audi and it is a night and day d
I avoid service centers like the plague if I can help it. A few years ago I took my mint 93 MR2 turbo in to local Toyota dealer to have a wheel bearing fixed. (didnt have press at home) The guy started going through trying to top up and check fluids I guess. He pops hood and is puzzled. He then asked me where the engine was. I made sure that guy wasnt the actual mechanic and it did nothing to make me think they'd take care of my car. Also had to tell them several times not to wash the car or anything else. (it was already spotless) I have a new GR86 that comes with several oil changes....going to try to just get them to give me the supplies to do it myself.
Took our 911 to local dealer to diagnose a weird drive issue under warranty. Felt totally fine and comfortable letting them handle car. (once they promised it wouldnt sit outside overnight when not being worked on )

When I put the initial deposit down on Emira at $93k I figured it be 100k with all the sales tax, fees etc. Now that its getting to be 110k+ with all that it will start making me 2nd guess if it goes much higher.

I avoid service centers like the plague if I can help it. A few years ago I took my mint 93 MR2 turbo in to local Toyota dealer to have a wheel bearing fixed. (didnt have press at home) The guy started going through trying to top up and check fluids I guess. He pops hood and is puzzled. He then asked me where the engine was. I made sure that guy wasnt the actual mechanic and it did nothing to make me think they'd take care of my car. Also had to tell them several times not to wash the car or anything else. (it was already spotless) I have a new GR86 that comes with several oil changes....going to try to just get them to give me the supplies to do it myself.
Took our 911 to local dealer to diagnose a weird drive issue under warranty. Felt totally fine and comfortable letting them handle car. (once they promised it wouldnt sit outside overnight when not being worked on )

When I put the initial deposit down on Emira at $93k I figured it be 100k with all the sales tax, fees etc. Now that its getting to be 110k+ with all that it will start making me 2nd guess if it goes much higher.
Same, my initial math was 93k base closer to 105k-107k after all the fun fees.
$7500 deposit bringing me back to 100k before financing and down payment, which I'm comfortable with... Adding another 10-12k on top of that I start to question it...

Price increases above the board don't absolve Lotus for all their other failures to deliver a promised product on time and at a price. There's a whole lot of whataboutism in this forum to make excuses for legitimate critiques.
Future model name: Lotus Excuse!
(Edit: tagline "We make the Excuse so you don't have to")

Last edited:
Future model name: Lotus Excuse!
(Edit: tagline "We make the Excuse so you don't have to")
I’m buying an Emira because it has a better interior and exterior look compared to say a 2020 Evora GT. However, if pricing were to normalize and I could pick one up sub 20k miles and below $80k in the right colors and configurations, I’d probably grab it. The Evora GT, much like a young lady I used to work with, looks absolutely fantastic from behind.

With the sheer amount of people who think their Emira is going to be a daily driver, I'm fairly certain those people would be better supported by a Porsche.
I agree Lotus can't be the only car. A second car is also iffy. For us, we will have three cars, so daily driving the Emira is less of a risk.

I agree Lotus can't be the only car. A second car is also iffy. For us, we will have three cars, so daily driving the Emira is less of a risk.
We are a multi car family as well, so the wait for me has been more to fill my want than a need. I will most likely drive mine as my daily, but by choice.

I get it and I’m sad. But the rick doesn’t buy 100k vehicles. And to suggest a 4.0 718 isn’t visceral is a bit shortsighted.
I've been lucky enough to own several variations on the Porsche 911 GT3 / Turbo and Cayman range over the years. I recently bought a Lotus Exige 410 and that car makes even my GT3s look like a civilised luxury GT. The Exige 410 is raw and provides no excuses for poor driving inputs whereas a Porsche will cover up just about everything. The Lotus is also louder than even a GT3 revving to 9,000RPM. I've driven the new Emira on a closed circuit at Bathurst in Australia and whilst it's not as raw as the Exige, it's heaps more engaging than a Porsche simply because it again asks more of you as a driver.

I've been lucky enough to own several variations on the Porsche 911 GT3 / Turbo and Cayman range over the years. I recently bought a Lotus Exige 410 and that car makes even my GT3s look like a civilised luxury GT. The Exige 410 is raw and provides no excuses for poor driving inputs whereas a Porsche will cover up just about everything. The Lotus is also louder than even a GT3 revving to 9,000RPM. I've driven the new Emira on a closed circuit at Bathurst in Australia and whilst it's not as raw as the Exige, it's heaps more engaging than a Porsche simply because it again asks more of you as a driver.
I’m sure that’s true and all but it’s still not worth 105 (to me) and all that great engagement at 7/10s on the street surely doesn’t best a 4.0 718 by more than fractions

We are a multi car family as well, so the wait for me has been more to fill my want than a need. I will most likely drive mine as my daily, but by choice.
Right here. It will be my “daily driver” but I have only put 50k miles on my current vehicle and it’s 10 years old. My wife doesn’t mind the Emira expense just that I never drive anywhere. I told her if I had a vehicle worth my time, I’d drive more. She just made a snarky comparison to the few extra dad pounds I carry around.

Right here. It will be my “daily driver” but I have only put 50k miles on my current vehicle and it’s 10 years old. My wife doesn’t mind the Emira expense just that I never drive anywhere. I told her if I had a vehicle worth my time, I’d drive more. She just made a snarky comparison to the few extra dad pounds I carry around.
LOL, I carry the pounds too. Currently we have 3 cars, all get 5K miles or less a year as the wife works 2 miles from the house and I work from home and have a company vehicle for days I need to go to the office.

I work remote and have averaged ~7k miles/year on my GTI daily driver. This includes car buddy meet-ups, roadtrips, and track days. I plan to give the Emira the garage space when it arrives and kick the GTI into my driveway. Not sure how I'm justifying the Emira at all, let alone keeping both! 🙃

I work remote and have averaged ~7k miles/year on my GTI daily driver. This includes car buddy meet-ups, roadtrips, and track days. I plan to give the Emira the garage space when it arrives and kick the GTI into my driveway. Not sure how I'm justifying the Emira at all, let alone keeping both! 🙃
You need to swap GTIs with son 2 he moved to Rittenhouse sq and the manual is wearing him out

Create an account or login to comment

Join now to leave a comment enjoy browsing the site ad-free!

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back