• The September 2024 Lotus Emira Photo of the Month contest is underway! Please take a moment to check out thread here: 🏆 September 2024 - Emira of the Month starts now! (You can dismiss this message by clicking the X in the top right hand corner of this notice.)

Oil temperature and pressure reading?

jamesbxxx

Emira Fanatic
Reaction score
Emira Status
Emira Owner
I can’t find this anywhere in the display. Surely Lotus wouldn’t miss this off a driver’s car, would they?

I was just scanning the owners manual and under launch control it says oil temperature is one of the parameters it looks at before allowing a launch. So, I'm convinced it must be hiding in there somewhere...

I was just scanning the owners manual and under launch control it says oil temperature is one of the parameters it looks at before allowing a launch. So, I'm convinced it must be hiding in there somewhere...
Auto Gearbox temp maybe.

These are the available (green) and not available (red) PIDs my car shows.

IMG_8478.png
IMG_8479.png

Auto Gearbox temp maybe.

View attachment 30863View attachment 30864
It specifically said engine oil temperature. I'm going to guess it'll be one of the unspecified pids and you'd have to look at it while running and see if it "looks" like oil temperature. Then assign that to your app as oil temperature. I'm sure this will give me something to do if it arrives in the middle of winter.

It specifically said engine oil temperature. I'm going to guess it'll be one of the unspecified pids and you'd have to look at it while running and see if it "looks" like oil temperature. Then assign that to your app as oil temperature. I'm sure this will give me something to do if it arrives in the middle of winter.

Going to be a long winter finding something that doesn't exist.

Going to be a long winter finding something that doesn't exist.
I was sincerely hoping Lotus added a sensor "just because it's better than the Evora" which only has the low pressure switch.

One less thing to worry about. Or one more thing to worry about. I never had oil issues on any previous Lotus so I'll just move this to the simple annoyance bucket.

Auto Gearbox temp maybe.

View attachment 30863View attachment 30864
There are extended OBD-II PIDs that are manufacturer-specific and don't appear on a generic scanner. Just because the SAE PID names don't reflect an active data source for what you are looking for, doesn't mean that there isn't one.

For example my BMW has about 10 or 15 custom ones that are visible on a BMW-specific OBD2 app, and the actual BMW factory scantool that dealers use has MANY many more. Even in standard extended OBD2 land, some hybrid cars have 50+ manufacturer-specific extended PIDs related to the hybrid system that don't appear at all on a generic scanner.

Look, I'm not saying that the Emira has secret sensors on the engine. At all. But I am definitely saying that there are lots of things theoretically available through an OBD2 data port that are not listed in the base SAE PID list.

Last edited:
All good theory but, as there definitely wasn’t an engine oil temp/pressure sensor on the Evora, why would Lotus fit one to the Emira and then go to the trouble of hiding it?

I’m working on the assumption that there isn’t one, and I don’t expect to be proven wrong.

All good theory but, as there definitely wasn’t an engine oil temp/pressure sensor on the Evora, why would Lotus fit one to the Emira and then go to the trouble of hiding it?

I’m working on the assumption that there isn’t one, and I don’t expect to be proven wrong.
Please go back and read the last paragraph of my post above.

I was agreeing with you.
I don't think you understood what I was saying. Manufacturers don't "hide" data in the extended PIDs, that's the preferred method for custom OBD2 behaviors, particularly at data speeds higher than those prescribed by the SAE spec. Most of the "good stuff" is accessed that way, including higher data-quality versions of several of the items that are listed in the generic SAE PID list. The generic list exists mostly for scantool compatibility purposes.

Does the Emira V6 have a decent oil cooler? I plan to be tracking it in the Texas early summers which generally requires hefty oil cooler. My Nismo 370Z has an added 34 row Setrab cooler and keeps temps under 240 even in the hottest days I've driven it. I give long before the oil cooler does.

Does the Emira V6 have a decent oil cooler? I plan to be tracking it in the Texas early summers which generally requires hefty oil cooler. My Nismo 370Z has an added 34 row Setrab cooler and keeps temps under 240 even in the hottest days I've driven it. I give long before the oil cooler does.
The Emira has a water-cooled oil cooler.
The oil cooler is located between the engine and the driver's seat.

I wondered why no one answered my question on is there an oil temp display.

So it appears there is an oil temp listed but it is likely there just for integration and can’t be used.

With that being said wouldn’t it be possible to install an oil temp sensor built into the oil cooling system? I have seen a kit car that had an early Vauxhall engine with an inline sensor built into the pipe work close to the engine. The only issue is how you could integrate a gauge into the dash. It’s wat too smart to be cutting holes in for gauges and I doubt there are any gauge holder available or that look any good.
Does anyone know if there is a P3 style gauge that can take such an input?

So it appears there is an oil temp listed but it is likely there just for integration and can’t be used.

With that being said wouldn’t it be possible to install an oil temp sensor built into the oil cooling system? I have seen a kit car that had an early Vauxhall engine with an inline sensor built into the pipe work close to the engine. The only issue is how you could integrate a gauge into the dash. It’s wat too smart to be cutting holes in for gauges and I doubt there are any gauge holder available or that look any good.
What do you mean when you say cant be used?

There’s no oil temperature display because there’s no oil temperature sensor or oil pressure transducer. There’s only an oil pressure switch — you can add an aftermarket transducer and sensor by tapping the existing port and adding a gauge on a pillar.

The 2GR-FE never had one, the Evora never had one and the Emira doesn’t have one or I’d have seen it in the service manual.

Another way to measure temperatures with the Emira?
Which I published earlier........

My solution: 3 low cost temp meters from for my '21 Evora GT 410 Sport IPS........
Imho it fits rather well under the dash and above the rear mirror in an unemphatic manner good visibility and working very accurate.........it suits my needs to be informed about 3 relevant oil / water temperatures.

The digital temp. meter are incl. sensors and cables.......
I installed 3 temp. meters and FYI found that these temperatures during moderate driving at 75 mph and 22 degr. C outside temp. are:
1) Engine oil typically approx. 80 degr. C.
2) IPS oil temp. typically approx. 60 degr. C.
3) Compressor cooling water temp. typically approx. 30-35 degr. C.

Location of temp. meters....(temperatures in pictures do not show the actual temp. situation when engine etc. is hot):
1st picture: right = engine oil.......left = IPS (autotrans)oil temp.
2nd picture = compressor cooling water temp.

1693336894591-png.1348199

1693336928628-png.1348200

Although the car models are different, I believe the sensor can be installed in the same location since it is the same 2GR-FE.
The 2GR-FE engine has an oil pressure switch above the oil element.
The oil pressure switch is used to turn on the oil warning light on the meter panel when the oil pressure drops below a certain level.

Short question please ... The warning is only in red ....or ... also an info in yellow for lower oil ?